Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 20, 2014 at 17:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anthony Smith guarantees win?  (Read 5024 times)
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #20 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 03:27 »

Sunday night past was the Raven's Super Bowl.  It isn't the case for the Steelers this weekend.
But it would go a loooong way for building confidence.  They have yet to win a road game.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #21 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 06:19 »

Oops. I think I just outed myself...snicker.

LambertsFrontTeeth. :D  :D  :D
Bravo my friend. Bravo.

:laugh:  :applause:  :applause:  :applause:  :laugh:  

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #22 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 07:47 »

I don't think that ASmith is the sharpest tool in the shed, to be honest with you.  He and Ike Taylor sound like HS kids when they get interviewed, and Smith seems to be about that maturity level.  He's going to be a great player IMO, but there's no need for the pushing, borderline late hits, mouthing, etc. that he seems to do.

My question is simply this:  Why?  Why say anything at all?  I doubt that it really has any impact on the game, but if it does, it's most likely a bad one for the Steelers.  So why say anything at all?

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Hercules50.
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #23 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 08:27 »

You know, I agree he probably shouldn't have said anything.

But I'm just as sick of the whole "ooh, don't say something that might piss off the Patriots. Please oh please don't anger them or they'll try extra hard!"

If they win, it'll be because they're the better team that day. Not because of anything Smith said.  
Cogitobsw

« Reply #24 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 08:35 »

You know, I agree he probably shouldn't have said anything.

But I'm just as sick of the whole "ooh, don't say something that might piss off the Patriots. Please oh please don't anger them or they'll try extra hard!"

If they win, it'll be because they're the better team that day. Not because of anything Smith said.
I agree . . . I posted over on MGP how I actually like it . . . I think it helps show the Steelers aren't approaching the game scared . . . that's no way to win a football game . . . they've gotta go in with a chip on their shoulders, and fuck what New England thinks.  Sure, AS might look like an ASs on Sunday night, but there's no reason to tip toe around the Pats.  Yeah they're a damn good team, but if you go into the game afraid, you've already lost.

Cogito Ergo Sum
DoctorJohnnyFever
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #25 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 10:08 »

Yeah, i'm not saying I like what Smith said, but do you guys really think this is going to impact the game in any way? The Patriots were going to be up for this game regardless because this is the game everyone has had circled for weeks as maybe their first, and perhaps only, loss of the regular season.

Should he have gone public with it? Maybe not, but some of you guys are cowering in the corner like little girls because the Patriots might be upset.

Fuck the Patriots.
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2007 at 10:09 by DoctorJohnnyFever » Logged

"The MGS board is regarded here as a board with adult rated content. There are virtually no rules. There are no words that are inappropriate and no subject that cannot be discussed. Should you feel the need to get crazy, do it there. You will be welcomed with open arms."

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #26 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 10:40 »

I don't care what Smith says, as long as he backs it up on the field.  If he and (presumably Ike) can take out Moss, that'll be impressive.  And by "take out," I mean shut down the way we shut down Ocho Goldgrill, and maybe lay a few hits on him that will make him forget what year it is.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Hercules50.
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #27 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 10:49 »

I don't care what Smith says, as long as he backs it up on the field.  If he and (presumably Ike) can take out Moss, that'll be impressive.  And by "take out," I mean shut down the way we shut down Ocho Goldgrill, and maybe lay a few hits on him that will make him forget what year it is.
You know, I'll be shocked if we don't shut down Moss. I expect him to have a 3-catch, 40-yard type of day.

Over the last few years, LeBeau's defenses have been reliable at shutting down the opponents' elite receiver -- think Terrell Owens in the Philly game in '04, Chad Johnson in EVERY Bengal game. Braylon and Winslow this year, twice.

It's the other guys who always kill us though. I expect a huge game from Welker, Watson, and/or Faulk (who's extremely underrated in my view).
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2007 at 10:49 by Hercules50. » Logged
vcuram
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #28 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 11:04 »

Like DJF said, it won't have any effect on the game.  

If we win, Smith is praised.  If we lose, he looks like an idiot.  Either way, it's forgotten by next week.

I also don't buy the "bulletin board material" argument.  The Patriots are going to be prepared no matter what is said.  If a professional football player needs added incentive to play hard, then there's something wrong with them and/or their coaches.

I've thrown a kettle over a pub before.  What the fuck have you ever done?
mrblack66
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #29 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 11:14 »

bothered me at first because those statements always come from the underdog and seem like a desperate attempt to F with the other team. but when you  think about it, they're just words really. will they make Bruschi play any better? Is it possible? I mean he is like the best ever. Do you know he came back from a stroke? In fact I thought he had another one Monday night looking at how they stopped the run.

I'm not cryin'. It's just been raining... on my face.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: