Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 24, 2014 at 06:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: JAX far more important than NE...  (Read 1886 times)
Winters in Holland
Brownstains can suck my Member

« on: Dec 06, 2007 at 10:13 »

I'm really looking forward to the New England game, but also trying to keep it in perspective.

Even if we knock off the Patriots (and Jacksonville probably wins), the Jaguars will come into Heinz next week with a 9-4 record, and us at 10-3.  If they knock us off, they'd leapfrog us into the third spot, correct?  Because even though we'd own identical 10-4 records, they'd have the head-to-head over us, right?

Likewise, if we lose this week, and face Jacksonville with the identical 9-4 record next, if we're lucky enough to beat them, we'd not only go 1 game up, but own the tiebreak as well.

So what I'm saying is that outside of derailing a team that needs beaten worse than any in history, the actual meaningful game for the Steelers is next week against Jacksonville, unless you're still holding out hope that the Steelers can catch the Colts for the 2nd seed and 1st round bye.

Personally, I'd be elated if we can get through this 2-game stretch with a 1-1 record.

.WiH.

I don't care if Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy are black. Good for them. But that doesn't change the way I feel about them. The longer we keep looking at guys like Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith as "BLACK HEAD COACHES" as opposed to just "coaches" the longer race will continue to be a problem. --DoctorJohnnyFever
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 10:24 »

Agreed. We have to try and secure that 3rd spot.

Pretty tough to beat the best team in the league twice in one season.

Be competitive and put a few Pats on the IR. That will suffice.

And if Hines could knock Junior's head off, that would be sweet too. Did you see that bastard get juked by WM in the Ravens game? He took off running the wrong way.  
Puma170
Bleedin' Black and Gold behind enemy lines

« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 10:24 »

Well, if the Steelers win the North then they are guaranteed a top 4 seed.  Even if Jax beats the Steelers and has a better record, then the best they could do is a 5 seed unless they somehow get past Indy to win their division.  

I still think that the Jax game is big since, if the Steelers lose and the Browns win then they could get even with the Steelers heading into the last two games.  I really want nothing on the line of significance for the Rams and Ravens since they are both roads games against teams the Steelers should beat.  Not a good scenario for success thus far this season.

PUMA
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2007 at 10:26 by Puma170 » Logged
CityofChamps1979
N00b

« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 10:25 »

I think we get the 3 seed if we win our division regardless of Jax record, since they won't win the South over Indy.  We need to stay ahead of San Diego though, to keep them #4.  To be comfortable going into the last week at the Ratbirds, it is pretty essential that the Steelers go 1-1 in the next two weeks, at least.

They didn't change the playoff seeding rules since last year, did they?
DoctorJohnnyFever
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 10:33 »

I was getting ready to agree with the original post, but then everyone else reminded me of the obvious: Jacksonville can't get a top-4 seed because it won't win its division. So that settles that.
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2007 at 10:34 by DoctorJohnnyFever » Logged

"The MGS board is regarded here as a board with adult rated content. There are virtually no rules. There are no words that are inappropriate and no subject that cannot be discussed. Should you feel the need to get crazy, do it there. You will be welcomed with open arms."

otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 10:41 »

It's possible that SD could run the table and finish 11-5. I think that would give them one loss in their division and a  9-3 conference record.

Is the first tie breaker for division ties, better win % in your division?  
DoctorJohnnyFever
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 10:42 »

And I really don't see anyway that Jacksonville wins its division. The Jags are two games back of Indy and have lost to the Colts twice already (and have three division losses total).

"The MGS board is regarded here as a board with adult rated content. There are virtually no rules. There are no words that are inappropriate and no subject that cannot be discussed. Should you feel the need to get crazy, do it there. You will be welcomed with open arms."

Hercules50.
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 10:46 »

Yep.

I think we're in the fortunate position this December of having no SINGLE game being of any particular importance.

We just need to win one or two of them to take the division. Maybe we can catch Indy for that #2 spot, which makes our AFC games more important for any tiebreakers.

But if we take the division we're guaranteed a home game for the WildCard round, at least.

That said, momentum would be nice.

As for competing with SD, I don't see a difference between being the #4 or the #3 seed.
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2007 at 10:47 by Hercules50. » Logged
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 10:56 »

It's possible that SD could run the table and finish 11-5. I think that would give them one loss in their division and a  9-3 conference record.

That's a good point, because if SD takes the 3rd seed, even though unlikely, Steelers take 4th seed and would play Jacksonville, since they will be the 5th seed with the better record for a wildcard.  Just from past years/experience, I think the Steelers would rather play whoever gets the 6 seed, which looks like it will be Cleveland.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 11:03 »

It's possible that SD could run the table and finish 11-5. I think that would give them one loss in their division and a  9-3 conference record.

That's a good point, because if SD takes the 3rd seed, even though unlikely, Steelers take 4th seed and would play Jacksonville, since they will be the 5th seed with the better record for a wildcard.  Just from past years/experience, I think the Steelers would rather play whoever gets the 6 seed, which looks like it will be Cleveland.
It's been a few years since we beat the Brownies 3 times in the same season, this seems like a good year for that to happen again.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: