Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 24, 2014 at 22:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Poll
Question: Should LeBeau primarily use blitz packages to rattle Brady, or coverage packages to take away his choices?
Blitz!  Go on the attack!  The only way to win is to rattle Brady! - 17 (54.8%)
Cover.  Matchups do not favor us on the blitz, except when used sparingly. - 14 (45.2%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blitz or Cover?  (Read 2031 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Dec 07, 2007 at 13:54 »

This is carried over from the gameday discussion.  

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 14:51 »

Both is the pick here.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 15:23 »

Both is the pick here.
Yeah, but if you HAD to choose...

Obviously, you mix it up.  I'm just saying you run cover more than you might against a team with a weaker cadre of receivers, or against a team with a weaker OL, or a less zippy QB.  A matter of matching up...

DoctorJohnnyFever
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 15:36 »

HIT THE FUCKER!

"The MGS board is regarded here as a board with adult rated content. There are virtually no rules. There are no words that are inappropriate and no subject that cannot be discussed. Should you feel the need to get crazy, do it there. You will be welcomed with open arms."

napgamer
N00b

« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 15:38 »

You have to Blitz Brady and take your chances.  If you noticed it wasn't until the last drive when Balt. only rushed 3 that Brady started chewing up the yardage.  When they Blitzed it diidn't give him time to throw.  You must blitz and bump the receivers at the line.  Alson you have to hit Moss hard and often.  He is not one to play if he thinks he'll get smacked around.

154th NY forever.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 15:40 »

I think the D need to jam the recievers, especially Moss, from what Carter says

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 15:52 »

I don't think it's as simple as doing what the Ravens did, and I also think that we could run ourselves out of the game with senseless, Gus Frerotte against the stadium wall-style blitzes.  We're #1 in the AFC in sacks, yet none of our de's or lb's are regulars in Hawaii in February.  Why is that?  Because ****'s defense thrives on timing, and downfield coverage to aid the line play and stunts.  

Of course we want to hit Brady in the mouth, but let's face it, he's not Shaun King back there.  We need to be clever off the edge to get at him; and I think a key to this game will be o-line penalties on the Pasties.  Good blitzing doesn't just result in sacks or hurries, it also results in holding penalties.  

Assuming the refs are neutral, that is.

So I voted for "cover".

A shabby Charlie Brown.
OhioU_Stlrs_Fan

« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 15:52 »

Steelers lead the AFC in sacks with 33, why shy away from what got our defense to that #1 status... BLITZ THE HELL OUTTA HIM

who wants to bet on the pats first offensive play...

I say deep to whoever is being covered by A. Smith or atleast deep in his area.

I Heart The Steelers.

Movie On Repeat (1) - Death Race
Movie On Repeat (2) -Max Payne None
Song On Repeat (1)- Jay Z - Brooklyn We Go Hard
Song On Repeat (2)-Here We Go, Duh its Playoff Time!
Book i cant put down -Dean Koontz - Shadowfires
ben2hines4six

Proud member of STEELER NATION!!!!!!

« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 18:36 »

This is a tough one. Truly, we will need to mix it up well to give ourselves a chance. If I HAD to choose, I would be inclined to agree with Finny here. I think 'cover' would be the better choice. I'm sure I am not the only one who would hate to see our blitz get stonewalled by the Patsies o-line, and Moss going over the top for 6 (think first play against colts in the regular season during our 05 run). If that means we get 'dink and dunked' to death, so be it. Increase the chances for tipped balls, mistakes, etc from "Lord Tom" (as ESPN would love us to believe). Keep their O on the field longer, and make them earn everything they get. If that's 7 on a 12 play drive, I think you take that and try to avoid the proverbial "shootout".

For what it's worth, I am concerned about Parker running against the Pats. All the talking heads seem to think our running game is stronger than it is, IMO. I would love for the Steelers to churn the yards like Mcgahee did, but I just don't see the smaller and at times more tentative Parker (coupled with our O-line) being able to move the sticks with any sort of consistency. So we will likely see what has become common for steeler nation, and that is we live and die by Ben's play-making and decision making skills.

My $0.02 anyways.

I am a new poster here, but certainly not new to MGS. I have been reading what a lot of you had to say over the last couple years since this sites inception. Enjoyed the contributions of Finny, Aj, and Preach to name a few. I was even around during the ESPN days of "Bud Selig" and "dem cheep az roo-knees". I finally caved and signed up here. I have been a hardcore fan of the black and gold since 92. Looking forward to interacting with my fellow members of Steeler Nation. Yinz got a fan in me! =)

Who ride?!?....WE RIDE!!!

Hercules50.
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 21:00 »

For what it's worth, I am concerned about Parker running against the Pats. All the talking heads seem to think our running game is stronger than it is, IMO. I would love for the Steelers to churn the yards like Mcgahee did, but I just don't see the smaller and at times more tentative Parker (coupled with our O-line) being able to move the sticks with any sort of consistency. So we will likely see what has become common for steeler nation, and that is we live and die by Ben's play-making and decision making skills.

Yeah, I agree totally. I have the same feeling. I see Parker having a 20-carry, 50-yard type of day.

Unless Ben and the passing game is making big plays down the field early, Parker is going to have a hard time.

If only Parker were a better weapon as a receiver, he would abuse those linebackers, like Westbrook did. But...he is what he is.
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 23:54 »

If only Parker were a better weapon as a receiver, he would abuse those linebackers, like Westbrook did. But...he is what he is.
Until he's had the chance to prove otherwise, I think the jury is still out on Parker as a threat in the passing game. I would love to see him stay in the game on 3rd downs and catch some passes out of the backfield and let him do what he does best out in open space. Hell, throw him the ball on 1st and 2nd downs every now and then. He's just never been put in the position consistantly. With the Cowher regime, it was always Haynes, now it's Davenport.

As far as the question at hand, to blitz or cover? I think you need to knock the shit outa Brady as often as you can and play physical against their WR's. Hit them as soon as they leave the line of scrimmage and throw off those timing routes.

No mistakes, don't beat youself.  

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2007 at 08:28 »

LC told me she likes it both ways.

:clitz:
jasonic
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #12 on: Dec 08, 2007 at 09:57 »

the best way to beat the pats is that at the strike of midnight on sunday, we all dust off our Ouija boards, light some candles and kinetically release a "hands across steeler country" and send out a mental projection so hard that both brady and belicheap lose the frontal lobes of their brains to some sort of atomic explosion.  At least that's what the media thinks it will take...

or, somebody sneak into moss' room, leave a large package of chronic and turn off his alarm.  he'll never wake up.

i think we're going to take this game, i'm usually a natural steeler pessimist but i just see us getting up for the game on the road, ben will be tight and our D will hold.  all the media seems to be saying that the Ravoons and Eagles gave them a game because of offense, i agree their running games were nice but the Ravoons offense?  give me a break, both of those teams have good defenses and this is the key.  Last time i checked, we have the best defense in the league if not, according to that great article linked up by AJ, one of the best all time.  so shut the fuck up and hit somebody!!

Cover.
« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2007 at 09:59 by jasonic » Logged

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Dec 08, 2007 at 11:23 »

I think a mix of blitz and cover would be the most effective. I think a key here will be whether the Steeler D can stop the run with 6 or 7 in the box. It will be tough since the Pats will try to limit Big Snacks snaps by probably spreading it out and going pass. We need Casey in there as much as possible, but if the D can stuff Faulk and Larry without safety help, the secondary will be in a much better position to cover well. Make the Pats go all pass, and let Lebeau work his zone blitz magic. Its not necessarily how many people rush Brady, but where they come from, who there are, and when they come. The Ravoons were able to collapse the pocket and hit Brady with 4 or 5 guys coming. If the Steelers can get consistent pressure with their DL pus a LB or 2, they should be in fairly good shape.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Dec 08, 2007 at 20:40 »

Welcome B2H46.  Don't be a stranger.

ben2hines4six

Proud member of STEELER NATION!!!!!!

« Reply #15 on: Dec 09, 2007 at 18:36 »

Thanks aj. I will be around for the good, bad, and everything in between. I have an addiction. haha.

We get no sacks and give up 400 yds passing? Clearly, the Steelers did not do either. I have to admit that I am a bit shocked at how many yds Parker managed to get, though quite a few came with the game out of hand. Would have thought that 100 + yds from him would give us a good chance to win. Evidently, I thought wrong.  
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Dec 09, 2007 at 19:21 »

Yeah, clearly the didn't do either. The second best yardage for Brady in his career. Awful performance from the D. Also, Lebeau had no answer for the Pats O. Gave up big plays and didn't really rattle Brady..
skate919

« Reply #17 on: Dec 09, 2007 at 20:01 »

Thanks aj. I will be around for the good, bad, and everything in between. I have an addiction. haha.

We get no sacks and give up 400 yds passing? Clearly, the Steelers did not do either. I have to admit that I am a bit shocked at how many yds Parker managed to get, though quite a few came with the game out of hand. Would have thought that 100 + yds from him would give us a good chance to win. Evidently, I thought wrong.
I'm probably just stating what you guys already know, but it's just that the Steelers were consistently facing third and long situations, because Mahan and Colon couldn't handle their assignments. Holding calls and sacks kept em from establishing a very consistent running game. When Willie got some halfway decent blocking he had a consistent 3-4 yards, and he had the speed to run away from the aging linebacking corps for those longer runs.

On the defensive end, they just couldn't get to Brady. Brady's offensive line is too disciplined to let rushers get in there untouched, and he had enough time to exploit the holes the blitzing corners left. What are they supposed to do?
Hercules50.
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #18 on: Dec 09, 2007 at 20:03 »

It seems like the D did some good things early, then got burned deep two-three times, and LeBeau worried that his safeties were going to get  fooled every other play (good assumption) and then played very cautious coverages.

Hence, the god-awful dinkery we were subjected to for 50 straight plays. That was the most boring blowout I've ever seen.  I was screaming at the TV for us to jump some slants and screens and just try to get an interception. Instead, we played 5-10 yards off, even on one of those goddamn 4th-and-1 plays. They threw short, completion, first down.

Not saying LeBeau was entirely wrong as after the middle 2nd quarter or so there was ZERO that we were doing that was working.
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Dec 09, 2007 at 23:27 »

It seems like the D did some good things early, then got burned deep two-three times, and LeBeau worried that his safeties were going to get  fooled every other play (good assumption) and then played very cautious coverages.

dude, the steeler D officially 'jumped the shark' the moment kareen abdul jabbar gaffney was on the tail end of the longest flea flicker in the history of flea flickers.  i actually had time to get up, take a leak, fix my hair in the mirror, walk to the fridge and grab another beer, look for some chips and then some dip, to sit back down to watch the end result.

played cautious with coverages????  was there even any coverage?  The fucking cheaters ran 8 flippin rushes the entire game and most of those were in the waning moments.  im sure it was pretty safe in assuming they were passing the ball every damn play.  rush 4 play soft soft zone...rush 4, play soft zone, rush 4 play soft zone...wash rinse and fucking repeat....TD!!!!!!!!!!

the hearts were ripped out and i have never seen the steelers LB corps look so confused in my entire life.

ps...oh and I obstained from voting just so i can complain afterwards.
« Last Edit: Dec 09, 2007 at 23:29 by jackSplat58 » Logged

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Dec 09, 2007 at 23:42 »

ps...oh and I obstained from voting just so i can complain afterwards.
They neither blitzed nor covered, so your vote would have been moot anyway.  Just like in an electoral college system.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Dec 09, 2007 at 23:56 »

Just like in an electoral college system.
Amen to that....there was no blitzing or covering to be seen today. Interesting strategy. The if we don't cover them, they will be so surprised they won't catch the ball thing didn't work out so well today....Tough day for you Penso with the Gunners stumbling as well today. At least Mourhino says he's out of the England job running...
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #22 on: Dec 10, 2007 at 00:03 »

the Gunners stumbling as well today.
Damn you. I had hoped you missed that.

Worst weekend ever.  Except for Mayweather.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #23 on: Dec 10, 2007 at 00:15 »

Damn you. I had hoped you missed that.

Not a chance. Especially with a cross town trip to North London looming next and 3 points down. No Drogba for the next 2 months is a serious blow as Sheva just isn't top notch these days...Was surprised to seeMayweather come up with KO, but he is still the man.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #24 on: Dec 10, 2007 at 08:18 »

Apparently, we settled on something that involved not blitzing and not covering.  I'm shocked we lost!

Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #25 on: Dec 10, 2007 at 09:28 »

It's kind of like the John McKay quote about his Bucs in 76:

"We didn't block anybody today.  But we made up for it by not tackling."

The thing I would like to see is Haggans, Keisel, and Harrison coming off the edge, as we did vs. Indy and Denver in the 05 playoffs.  Cut those guys loose and let them rush, especially Harrison.

Sometimes I don't think we trust our front 5 enough.  

Grain of salt of course since I didn't see the game.  But I would like to see our OLBs and DEs given the freedom to do whatever they have to do to get to the QB.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #26 on: Dec 10, 2007 at 09:37 »

Interesting.  I thought they did too much blitzing and not enough covering in the 2nd half.  Felt like they were constantly bringing 5 or 6, but it's kinda tough to get to the QB when he's taking 3 step drops and unloading.

LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #27 on: Dec 10, 2007 at 19:04 »

I agree. I think that this weakness was exposed (albeit much more slightly) by Cutler in Denver several weeks ago.

We have problems with QB's that have a quick release that can accurately throw the short stuff. They just march the field on us.  

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
vcuram
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #28 on: Dec 10, 2007 at 22:01 »

Interesting.  I thought they did too much blitzing and not enough covering in the 2nd half.  Felt like they were constantly bringing 5 or 6, but it's kinda tough to get to the QB when he's taking 3 step drops and unloading.
That's kinda what I thought too.  I think that we telegraphed our defensive gameplan.  Everyone was saying that the Eagles and Ravens found the blueprint to beat the Pats by blitzing the hell out of Brady.  Well, we tried that in the first half, they knew we were going to do it, and they gameplanned to beat our blitzes.

I thought we should have dropped more into coverage in the first half, then brought the blitz a ton in the second half.  Their coaches and players knew what we were going to do  and used it against us.

Also, Troy P would've made a big difference in this game.

I've thrown a kettle over a pub before.  What the fuck have you ever done?
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: