Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 30, 2014 at 08:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Poll
Question: Should LeBeau primarily use blitz packages to rattle Brady, or coverage packages to take away his choices?
Blitz!  Go on the attack!  The only way to win is to rattle Brady! - 17 (54.8%)
Cover.  Matchups do not favor us on the blitz, except when used sparingly. - 14 (45.2%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blitz or Cover?  (Read 1840 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Dec 07, 2007 at 13:54 »

This is carried over from the gameday discussion.  

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 14:51 »

Both is the pick here.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 15:23 »

Both is the pick here.
Yeah, but if you HAD to choose...

Obviously, you mix it up.  I'm just saying you run cover more than you might against a team with a weaker cadre of receivers, or against a team with a weaker OL, or a less zippy QB.  A matter of matching up...

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
DoctorJohnnyFever
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 15:36 »

HIT THE FUCKER!

"The MGS board is regarded here as a board with adult rated content. There are virtually no rules. There are no words that are inappropriate and no subject that cannot be discussed. Should you feel the need to get crazy, do it there. You will be welcomed with open arms."

napgamer
N00b

« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 15:38 »

You have to Blitz Brady and take your chances.  If you noticed it wasn't until the last drive when Balt. only rushed 3 that Brady started chewing up the yardage.  When they Blitzed it diidn't give him time to throw.  You must blitz and bump the receivers at the line.  Alson you have to hit Moss hard and often.  He is not one to play if he thinks he'll get smacked around.

154th NY forever.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 15:40 »

I think the D need to jam the recievers, especially Moss, from what Carter says

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 15:52 »

I don't think it's as simple as doing what the Ravens did, and I also think that we could run ourselves out of the game with senseless, Gus Frerotte against the stadium wall-style blitzes.  We're #1 in the AFC in sacks, yet none of our de's or lb's are regulars in Hawaii in February.  Why is that?  Because ****'s defense thrives on timing, and downfield coverage to aid the line play and stunts.  

Of course we want to hit Brady in the mouth, but let's face it, he's not Shaun King back there.  We need to be clever off the edge to get at him; and I think a key to this game will be o-line penalties on the Pasties.  Good blitzing doesn't just result in sacks or hurries, it also results in holding penalties.  

Assuming the refs are neutral, that is.

So I voted for "cover".

A shabby Charlie Brown.
OhioU_Stlrs_Fan

« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 15:52 »

Steelers lead the AFC in sacks with 33, why shy away from what got our defense to that #1 status... BLITZ THE HELL OUTTA HIM

who wants to bet on the pats first offensive play...

I say deep to whoever is being covered by A. Smith or atleast deep in his area.

I Heart The Steelers.

Movie On Repeat (1) - Death Race
Movie On Repeat (2) -Max Payne None
Song On Repeat (1)- Jay Z - Brooklyn We Go Hard
Song On Repeat (2)-Here We Go, Duh its Playoff Time!
Book i cant put down -Dean Koontz - Shadowfires
ben2hines4six

Proud member of STEELER NATION!!!!!!

« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 18:36 »

This is a tough one. Truly, we will need to mix it up well to give ourselves a chance. If I HAD to choose, I would be inclined to agree with Finny here. I think 'cover' would be the better choice. I'm sure I am not the only one who would hate to see our blitz get stonewalled by the Patsies o-line, and Moss going over the top for 6 (think first play against colts in the regular season during our 05 run). If that means we get 'dink and dunked' to death, so be it. Increase the chances for tipped balls, mistakes, etc from "Lord Tom" (as ESPN would love us to believe). Keep their O on the field longer, and make them earn everything they get. If that's 7 on a 12 play drive, I think you take that and try to avoid the proverbial "shootout".

For what it's worth, I am concerned about Parker running against the Pats. All the talking heads seem to think our running game is stronger than it is, IMO. I would love for the Steelers to churn the yards like Mcgahee did, but I just don't see the smaller and at times more tentative Parker (coupled with our O-line) being able to move the sticks with any sort of consistency. So we will likely see what has become common for steeler nation, and that is we live and die by Ben's play-making and decision making skills.

My $0.02 anyways.

I am a new poster here, but certainly not new to MGS. I have been reading what a lot of you had to say over the last couple years since this sites inception. Enjoyed the contributions of Finny, Aj, and Preach to name a few. I was even around during the ESPN days of "Bud Selig" and "dem cheep az roo-knees". I finally caved and signed up here. I have been a hardcore fan of the black and gold since 92. Looking forward to interacting with my fellow members of Steeler Nation. Yinz got a fan in me! =)

Who ride?!?....WE RIDE!!!

Hercules50.
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 21:00 »

For what it's worth, I am concerned about Parker running against the Pats. All the talking heads seem to think our running game is stronger than it is, IMO. I would love for the Steelers to churn the yards like Mcgahee did, but I just don't see the smaller and at times more tentative Parker (coupled with our O-line) being able to move the sticks with any sort of consistency. So we will likely see what has become common for steeler nation, and that is we live and die by Ben's play-making and decision making skills.

Yeah, I agree totally. I have the same feeling. I see Parker having a 20-carry, 50-yard type of day.

Unless Ben and the passing game is making big plays down the field early, Parker is going to have a hard time.

If only Parker were a better weapon as a receiver, he would abuse those linebackers, like Westbrook did. But...he is what he is.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: