Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 21, 2014 at 20:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So what's the deal here?  (Read 1814 times)
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« on: Dec 09, 2007 at 19:02 »

I didn't get to see the game, and I think my taping/TiVo policy is well-known to the board.

Reading the stats, it did not sound like we played a horrible game.  We ran the ball, controlled the clock (or so it would seem).  The only things that looked really bad were:

1.  Pass yards (no troy, no clark, no coverage from carter I would assume).

2.  Sacks (we had NONE, which can't be good)

So, did we really get pounded that bad?  Or did we leave thinking that some changes to game plan and plays here and there could give us a chance next time--IF we get that far?

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
DoctorJohnnyFever
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2007 at 19:05 »

We were down four at the half. Had a big run from Willie to open the second half and things went down hill from there.

Brady hit two huge plays deep (both on Smith) and one of them was a double flea flicker that saw the Patriots throw the ball three times on one play.

"The MGS board is regarded here as a board with adult rated content. There are virtually no rules. There are no words that are inappropriate and no subject that cannot be discussed. Should you feel the need to get crazy, do it there. You will be welcomed with open arms."

ben2hines4six

Proud member of STEELER NATION!!!!!!

« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2007 at 19:11 »

We hung around for a half, but the second half got ugly really, really quickly. It had the same feel as the against the pats in 02 (i believe?) when Brady passed all day over us and we had no answer whatsoever. At least in the second half, anyways.  
ben2hines4six

« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2007 at 19:11 »

*game against the pats*
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2007 at 19:17 »

Without the 2 big plays, both at Anthony Smith's expense, its a much closer contest. The Pats certainly didn't outphysical the Steelers, and Willie ran well. Ben played OK too. The Steelers did not get to Brady in the second half and couldn't cover anybody. It's hard to be positive when they lost by 21, but a rematch with Troy on the field and a 100% Holmes isn't a guaranteed loss. But a rematch with the Pats seems a long way off..The Pats D ain't shit either..
PittsburghPA
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2007 at 19:58 »

Problem is, we're not even guaranteed a playoff berth yet, let alone the division title. Furthermore, we get to play a team that matches up extremely well against us next week, then get to play a road game four days later, and then get to play against another division rival on the road. We could just as conceivably lose out as win out, and I don't like the feeling.

Q: What's the difference between "hard" and "light"?
A: You can sleep with a light on.
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2007 at 20:01 »

SFinCO has a very succinct and accurate summary.

It's hard to say that Anthony Smith cost us the game singlehandedly, but he did put us behind the eight-ball with repeated missteps. I think he made Lebeau have to stop trying to hit home runs on D calls midway through the third quarter. Couldn't be trusted to protect the long ball.

Also I don't know how the team couldn't expect a flea-flicker type play -- I would've thought that was a requirement by the Pats after Smith put the focus on himself this week. It's possible that Tomlin and Lebeau did preach caution to Smith, and he just stupidly ignored the warnings.

And there was no reason for any DB to be biting on play fakes...christ, how many times did the Patsies even TRY to run?  Not smart playing, that's for sure.

A little more discipline next time around, and we keep it closer...but still, I can't say we win. It will be hard to beat those cheaters.  

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2007 at 20:07 »

Problem is, we're not even guaranteed a playoff berth yet, let alone the division title.
Actually, I believe we did clinch a playoff berth in spite of the loss....I think I saw that on the scrolling marquee CBS had...I could be wrong though
« Last Edit: Dec 09, 2007 at 20:07 by vinman3 » Logged

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
ben2hines4six

« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2007 at 20:33 »

Hey Vin. I am pretty sure we get a playoff birth with one more victory. We needed a win and a tenn loss to get in, that was my understanding. Can anyone confirm this? I also think we clinch the division with one more win as long as cleve does no better than 2-1 (though I am feeling more and more like they will win out, meaning we would need to grab 2 of or final 3 games).
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2007 at 20:50 »

The Steelers could have clinched a playoff berth with a win and  Tennessee loss. They could have clinched the division with a win and a Cleveland loss. With the TEN loss, the Steelers need just 1 win to qualify for at least a wildard. Cleveland won so the Steeler's need a win with a CLE loss, or just straight up 2 wins no matter what CLE does to take the North. Jax will be tough to run against but their pass D isn't that good. The Steeler D needs to rebound and get ready for a steady diet of Fred Taylor and Jones-Drew. Good thing its at home, although ask Tommy Maddox about playing JAX in Pittsburgh. Away at STL is a must win. That team is beat up and clearly not at Pittsburgh level. If it comes down to the game at Balty, Houston we have a problem.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: