Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 16, 2014 at 14:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So what's the deal here?  (Read 1587 times)
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2007 at 20:50 »

The Steelers will win the AFCN.  Mark it down and quit whining.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Hercules50.
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2007 at 20:57 »

I wonder if we make too much of the Jags.

In our last three games against them, we had:

* Ben as a rookie, though he completed nearly every pass he threw, but Cowher limited his attempts, and we won a close one;
* Maddox at QB and we still nearly beat them;
* Ben coming off accident and apendectomy (and yet we could have won that game, too)

I respect the Jags. And this Jax team seems to be their best of recent years. On paper they seem to offer some serious matchup problems (their DL vs. our OL). But maybe with a healthy, mature Ben we can take them with ease?
« Last Edit: Dec 09, 2007 at 20:58 by Hercules50. » Logged
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2007 at 21:07 »

I definately think if the OL can hold up against that great DL, Ben will have open receivers to throw at. JAX has a mediocre secondary that can be exposed. I don't expect to see much room for Willie, but I'm sure he will get 20-25 carries for like 75 yards. The thing about the JAX matchup is that they are a very physical team, sort of in the Steelers mold, on both sides of the LOS, and the Steelers will have to come to play to get a win..

KTBFFH
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2007 at 22:48 »

* Ben as a rookie, though he completed nearly every pass he threw, but Cowher limited his attempts, and we won a close one;
* Ben coming off accident and apendectomy (and yet we could have won that game, too)

I respect the Jags. And this Jax team seems to be their best of recent years. On paper they seem to offer some serious matchup problems (their DL vs. our OL). But maybe with a healthy, mature Ben we can take them with ease?
Unless you are 18 years old, you will remember the Jags giving us trouble back when Coughlin was their coach.

What happened was Anthony Smith biting on a ball fake in the first half, and then giving up his coverage on what seemed to be a busted play in the second half.

There's no excuse for the first error.  But the second, well, you can't fault the kid for flying to the ball when it's on the ground; that's the first thing you learn in the backyard at the age of 7.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2007 at 23:08 »

Without the 2 big plays, both at Anthony Smith's expense, its a much closer contest. The Pats certainly didn't outphysical the Steelers, and Willie ran well. Ben played OK too. The Steelers did not get to Brady in the second half and couldn't cover anybody. It's hard to be positive when they lost by 21, but a rematch with Troy on the field and a 100% Holmes isn't a guaranteed loss. But a rematch with the Pats seems a long way off..The Pats D ain't shit either..
I hate to differ, but we got our asses handed to us on a platter defensively and it was far from being close.  not that every day platter, the one that is used only on special occassions to boot.  the only saving grace that i took from this game, and one that I agree with you, is the Patriots D isnt very stellar at all.  Its just a shame that BA actually made the pastrie D look exceptional.  oh and Colon did a fine job of turning Vrabel into the second coming of LT as well.  kudos to A. Smith for being the only steeler player to guarentee his work.  that Anthony SMith sure is a baller huh?  man he came to play for this one.

so what was the final tally of the poll on whether to blitz or cover?  I think Keisel got a hand on him in the 2nd half for a brief second..other than that there wasnt too much turf kickin for these boys.

BA is offically dead to me.  someone needs to tell that guy that the double moves only really work when you have worked the outs in excess BEFORE HAND.  way to leave your Qb to get his ass kicked for nothing.  i really enjoyed watching those 3rd and longs...made my day.  and that masterpiece of goal line offense was something that I just wanted to bottle up and preserve and show the wonderful play calling to my youngest boy when he turns 18.  i might have been mistaken, but didnt the pattys have theeeeee WORST red zone defense in the league?  nothing like getting fancy to really fool them!!@@@!!@@

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Dec 09, 2007 at 23:15 »

BA is offically dead to me.
Totally agree.

What killed it for me was letting the third quarter clock run out without getting a play off.  Just extremely disappointing.   Don't know if that was Ben, or Tomlin, or BA, but someone should have to pay the piper for that shit.  

Roll over, play dead was the message we sent.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Dec 10, 2007 at 00:10 »

I hate to differ, but we got our asses handed to us on a platter defensively and it was far from being close.  not that every day platter, the one that is used only on special occassions to boot.
Ya, the D was basically abused in the second half, but the O had plenty of chances to put up more points. The D made them go 3  and out to start the game, then the O marches to the 6 yard line and shats the bed (thank you BA may I have another). Should have been 7-0 to start the game. The Steelers could have easily had 21 first half points, no thanks to the OC. The big PA fake to Moss in the 1st half was a back breaker. Without that play, and better RZ execution its like 21-10 Steelers at halftime. Again, even with the poor second half defensive performance, the O had chances to score in the RZ and came away empty. Take out the second big play (the same EXACT play we used at Cincy '05) and we got a game. Other than Vrabel off the corner, I did not see the Steelers getting physically abused. With a trained monkey calling plays today the O puts up at least 34 points on that AARP defense. But, the bottom line is that they didn't get it done. Regroup, focus on getting that 1 win that gets the Steelers in, namely beating JAX, and don't even think about a rematch until you're walking out of the RCA Dome with a win, or leaving Pittsburgh as the 4th seed after smashing the Clowns..

KTBFFH
padgfrombf

« Reply #17 on: Dec 10, 2007 at 01:23 »

I posted this elsewhere, but I swear that Arians is using pre-scripted playcalls for down and distance, and doesn't vary from it during the game.  The guy's not a complete tool (e.g, Kevin Gilbride, Paul Hackett), but he's like watching Marty Schottenheimer's coaching career at times.  No adjustment at all, or it looks like he changes formation constantly and avoids actually exploiting teams' weaknesses.

Oh, in the NFL = Not For Long department, I was leaving a Steelers bar when a couple of Ravens fans walked in and commented loudly on how the Ravs at least played the Pats close.  I sorta wanted to go back at about 9:00 pm after the Colts put up a gazillion early points.  The Steelers game got grim at the end, but the Colts game was way uglier.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Dec 10, 2007 at 06:29 »

Problem is, we're not even guaranteed a playoff berth yet, let alone the division title. Furthermore, we get to play a team that matches up extremely well against us next week, then get to play a road game four days later, and then get to play against another division rival on the road. We could just as conceivably lose out as win out, and I don't like the feeling.

I don't believe that we're going to let a playoff berth or a division title slip away in the next three games.  I just refuse to believe that.

But, we'll now discover what Tomlin and this team is really all about.  If they can regroup and win some games and at least make a run at winning some playoff games, then we'll have hope for the future even if this year doesn't work out.  If we end up laying an egg, well...

Arians sucks, period.  Let Ben, Hines, and Willie make up the game plan and run the whole dang show.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Hercules50.
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #19 on: Dec 10, 2007 at 07:54 »

Unless you are 18 years old, you will remember the Jags giving us trouble back when Coughlin was their coach.

I only went back to 2004 because these two teams have had roughly the same roster and attributes. The Jags are very good. But I don't think that, in the last three years, they've ever caught us at roughly full strength.

I'm optimistic that we'll bounce back next week.  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: