Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 16, 2014 at 22:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: He ain't no Joey Porter  (Read 1079 times)
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2007 at 07:08 »

I agree. It's not that Porter wouldn't be able to contribute at some level, more the value of that contribution vs. the cap hit and overall cost. Last year's draft crop makes LB our deepest position on the team, I think, so any FA singings should relate to need.

Problem is, I can see those assholes in New England going with Porter in their veteran rotation at LB. And him playing like a Pro-Bowler again.  

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
BleedGreen710
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2007 at 07:58 »

I agree. It's not that Porter wouldn't be able to contribute at some level, more the value of that contribution vs. the cap hit and overall cost. Last year's draft crop makes LB our deepest position on the team, I think, so any FA singings should relate to need.

Problem is, I can see those assholes in New England going with Porter in their veteran rotation at LB. And him playing like a Pro-Bowler again.
Fuck...I didn't even think about that.  

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 3rd round draft pick.
padgfrombf

« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2007 at 09:59 »

Joey's best position is WOLB, and didn't NE already spend a bunch of money to get a comparable player (A. Thomas) for that already?  Miami put Porter at SOLB, which has deep-sixed his numbers.  Porter does keep a major bucket of guaranteed money if Miami did cut ties, and maybe he does play next year for $1MM plus incentives for another outfit.

As noted, Steeler LB corps is deep with the addition of Timmons and Woodley.  Looks like Frazier's finally going to stick as well.  That said, Haggans' contract ends this year, and he probably will not stay in 2008.  If there is another major injury to the LB'ers from now until next summer, maybe we consider Joey at a discount.  In that scenario, returning Porter to his old WOLB position as starter or in rotation might be a stopgap.  He's still a better cover LB than anyone on the Steelers roster.   This is speculative and assumes a couple of plausible, but improbable, events.  

Back to reality.  Barring major catastrophe, J-Peezy might just have to wait until the 10th year SB XL reunion for his next free ticket into Heinz Field.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: