Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 24, 2014 at 22:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: He ain't no Joey Porter  (Read 1132 times)
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« on: Dec 11, 2007 at 06:51 »

So I hear this morning that Anthony Smith was allegedly standing at midfield, yelling and cursing the Patriots during warmups.  I say "allegedly" because this came from Beardy, and to my knowledge wasn't witnessed by anyone else.

I think Smith has a chance to be an absolutely awesome player.  But what he done?  A few big hits?  A few 15-yard penalties?  A few personal fouls?  I think he has all the potential in the world, but realistically he hasn't even earned a starting job on his own team.

I hated it when Porter used to do that yapping, but that was Joey being Joey.  And A Smith ain't Joey.  At least Porter had accomplished a few things in this league before he started doing that crap.

If Tomlin is worth his salt as a coach, he'll do what Cowher never seemed able to do with Porter.  He'll get this kid, tell him, "NOW you know, don't you?"  and teach him to keep his mouth shut and play football.  Smith doesn't seem to be the sharpest knife in the drawer, and he needs some help if he's going to be what he could be.  If Tomlin won't do it, then get Hines or Ben or Farrior or someone else to shut him up.  Back him pulicly, but privately sit him down and get serious.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2007 at 09:30 »

If I was Tomlin, and we somehow made it to a rematch, I'd have a team meeting before the game, and show the whole team "what's on the tape."

I'd show every single fucking clip of those assholes talking shit and rubbing it in after the game.  Of Belichek mocking Smith (twice). Of Harrison running his fucking piehole. Moss. I'd play that clip of Brady running up to Smith and gettin in his goat-nad rubbing mug in Smith's face.

Then, I'd cut to an older film clip. The one where Jack Lambert bodies slams that jackass Cliff Harris after he has the audacity to tap Roy Gerela on the head. Then I'd scream like a lunatic and say something like "LET'S RIP THESE PUSSIES HEADS OFF AND SHIT DOWN THEIR FUCKING NECKS!"

We need to play furious next time, and, frankly, with all the taunting that the Cheatriots got away with in this game, I'd just as soon see some early flags where we get a cheap shot or two in. At least make them realize that we aren't going to put up with their bullshit when they try to dish it out.

James Harrison should have come up on Brady when he was talking and body slammed his ass to the turf, even if it meant losing the game. We NEVER should tolerate that shit from those pussies.

Can you tell that this loss has infuriated me? I wasn't able to sleep after reading all of the quotes about this game (I can't even watch the clips, my fucking head would explode).

I haven't hated a team like I hate this one in a long, long time.
« Last Edit: Dec 11, 2007 at 09:30 by LambertsFrontTeeth » Logged

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
padgfrombf

« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2007 at 09:31 »

I don't think it's entirely gross stupidity.  The Steelers have other guys back there that didn't score particularly high on their Wonderlics (Ike) and others that play near the edge the official's patience (Carter).  They and others somehow manage to be effective.  It's a bad habit that Smith carried with him from a bad Syracuse team and he's apparently one of those guys that has to learn by DIY screwups.

Porter was an absolute loose cannon out there, but he also was a Pro Bowl player that, in action, played well and with discipline within the LeBeau defense.  Right now, Smith is none of that.  What's more, AS strikes me as more of a Cover 2 safety that has some skills as a ballhawk if the QB makes a mistake.  The PS pass defense without TP, Woodley, etc. turns into more of a contain type system that is more suited for a Ryan Clark.

Still, I don't know if I want to throw Smith under the bus quite yet.  Carter can potentially play FS when Maul returns, but he isn't all that good in coverage.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2007 at 09:46 »

Still, I don't know if I want to throw Smith under the bus quite yet. Carter can potentially play FS when Maul returns, but he isn't all that good in coverage.

No,  not at all.  And I'd never play TCarter over him under normal circumstances.  Just saying that Tomlin needs to make a statement right now that he's in charge, and if they can't play with discipline then they don't play.  For his future development, I think that he needs to teach Smith a lesson here about when to talk and when to shut up/play...and more often than not, players need to shut up and play.

Winters in Holland
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2007 at 09:56 »

Just saying that Tomlin needs to make a statement right now that he's in charge, and if they can't play with discipline then they don't play.  For his future development, I think that he needs to teach Smith a lesson here about when to talk and when to shut up/play...and more often than not, players need to shut up and play.
I agree.

Frankly, I would've probably benched Smith for the first quarter of the Patriots' game, just to send a message not only to him, but the team on the whole.

In hindsight, whomever filled in for him couldn't have been much worse...

.WiH.

I don't care if Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy are black. Good for them. But that doesn't change the way I feel about them. The longer we keep looking at guys like Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith as "BLACK HEAD COACHES" as opposed to just "coaches" the longer race will continue to be a problem. --DoctorJohnnyFever
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2007 at 09:57 »

Who would've filled in?  We're pretty thin at safety.  

Is Lee Flowers available? He could have called the Patriots "paper champions." That actually would be kind of funny.  

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2007 at 10:16 »

Who would've filled in? We're pretty thin at safety.

Not saying that we should bench him, as that might have just called more attention to the entire thing.  And without Clark or Troy, we really had no other options.

Just let the kid know that this kind of crap isn't helping him or the team and it won't be tolerated.

DoctorJohnnyFever
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2007 at 10:30 »

As bad as Smith was on Sunday, I have to imagine that if Anthony Madison (he's our next option at Safety right now, right?) were back there the Patriots wouldn't have thrown one pass under 30 yards downfield on Sunday.

Okay, maybe they'd have thrown one under 30 yards.

"The MGS board is regarded here as a board with adult rated content. There are virtually no rules. There are no words that are inappropriate and no subject that cannot be discussed. Should you feel the need to get crazy, do it there. You will be welcomed with open arms."

steeldawg1631

« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2007 at 17:41 »

Speaking of Joey ..... does anyone think that it is possible he could come back to Pittsburgh after this year. Fish are rebuilding and it was obvious during the monday night game he misses this place. If 53 is gone, do we bring him back at min rate? Just thinking out loud.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2007 at 19:44 »

Speaking of Joey ..... does anyone think that it is possible he could come back to Pittsburgh after this year. Fish are rebuilding and it was obvious during the monday night game he misses this place. If 53 is gone, do we bring him back at min rate? Just thinking out loud.
Why would we want to?  Who is he an upgrade over?  Can he return punts or snap the ball?

That vet mininum money would be much better spent sweetening the deal for a decent guard.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: