Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 02, 2014 at 07:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anthony Smith  (Read 818 times)
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« on: Dec 16, 2007 at 21:36 »

did anyone else get the feeling before his INT today that his career was heading for complete derailment after being used, abused and ridiculed after "The Guarantee"?  seems like that INT could have been a career redeeming kind of play, just for the sake of his own confidence.

he looked like a little kid who's kite was blowing away in the wind on the Northcutt TD, and his miscues in the Patsies game have been well documented.  you know that stuff had to be in his head as he didnt look like the same hard-hitting, shit-talking safety he had been prior to the NE game.  

i know Smith may never be a great starting safety for this team, but that INT seemed to restore confidence back in himself.  he later broke up a pass on a key 3rd down later on in the 4th quarter as well.

i know in the grand scheme of things, Anthony Smith's future is pretty far down the list, but that was one small positive i took from a game full of negatives.

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
Hercules50.
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2007 at 08:22 »

Good point. I think it's important, too. Anthony Smith may well be our FS of the future, given Clark's health. I think the kid can play, and I feel bad for him for the whole guarantee media stuff.  
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2007 at 10:22 »

Anthony Smith may well be our FS of the future, given Clark's health. I think the kid can play, and I feel bad for him for the whole guarantee media stuff.
No doubt he can play.  I'm just a little worried about his ability to read an offense.  Safeties have to be football smart and I'm starting to wonder if this kid will develop that aspect of his game.  It takes time, but you'd like to see improvement by the end of the second year.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2007 at 10:47 »

Anthony Smith may well be our FS of the future, given Clark's health. I think the kid can play, and I feel bad for him for the whole guarantee media stuff. 

No doubt he can play. I'm just a little worried about his ability to read an offense. Safeties have to be football smart and I'm starting to wonder if this kid will develop that aspect of his game. It takes time, but you'd like to see improvement by the end of the second year.

I really want to see Clark return, as we seem to miss his leadership as much as his playmaking ability.  

But I still like Anthony Smith.  I think he has a ton of talent and ability, but needs the wisdom and maturity to make it really count.  If he can finish strong and do some growing up, I think he'll be a fine player in the future.  He ain't half bad now.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2007 at 00:08 »

But I still like Anthony Smith.  I think he has a ton of talent and ability, but needs the wisdom and maturity to make it really count.  If he can finish strong and do some growing up, I think he'll be a fine player in the future.  He ain't half bad now.
I concur.
The kid can play.  He's still a kid, and needs to grow up.  But he can hit, and that INT was huge.  I think he coulda had 2 if not for Farrior (I think) knocking it down.

I'm still the one with the boobs.
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2007 at 07:12 »

The PG is reporting he has been benched in favor of Ty Carter.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
sage
Kickin the Bengals Ass since 1933
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2007 at 07:48 »

are they guaranteeing it?

Go Steelers
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2007 at 11:19 »

We've read a lot better papers than the PG.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2007 at 12:34 »

seems like an odd time to demote Smith after he seemed to redeem himself in the 2nd half of the Jax game, but Ty Carter has been playing pretty well when Troy has been out, so i dont really have a problem with it.  something needs to be done on the defensive side of the ball, that much is certain.

now if only we could get Aaron Smith's torn bicep fixed in time for Thursday...

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
sage
Kickin the Bengals Ass since 1933
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2007 at 13:02 »

We've read a lot better papers than the PG.
lol

Go Steelers
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: