Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 23, 2014 at 23:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Win Thurs and we aren't in...  (Read 2200 times)
ben2hines4six

Proud member of STEELER NATION!!!!!!

« on: Dec 17, 2007 at 19:47 »

I found this on another site (steelers.com), and I am pretty sure it is accurate:

"Unlike yesterday,  a win on Thursday won't completely clinch a playoff spot.   Since this is a non-conference game, a win does not help much in the tiebreakers (unlike yesterday).

If the Steelers win vs StL, but lose at Baltimore,  they will 10-6 with 7 conf wins.  

If Cleve wins out and finish 11-5, they'll wiin the division.   If TN wins out they will be 10-6 and also have 7 conf wins.   They will tied w/ PGH at 2-3 on common opponents (Cin, Jax, Den, NYJ).  The next tiebreak is strength of victory.  Right now TN wins this one.  Depending how the teams beaten by TN and PGH do the next two weeks, this can change,  but chances are TN will win this.  

On the other hand, going 10-6 by losing to StL and beating Balt, does clinch a spot, the 8th conference win being the decider vs Tn if need be."

So, winning Thursday does not clinch a thing, except that we have to win next Sunday. We should be voting to win on Thurs in the sense that it could help get us a home game, but oddly enough it does not significantly increase our playoff chances unless we win vs balty (so long as tenn and cleve win out, which is certainly possible).  
padgfrombf

« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2007 at 23:36 »

Winning on Thursday does put increased pressure on Cleveland and Tennessee, though, because they can't afford to lose.  A loss by either does clinch a playoff spot for the PS.

The "choke" preference is obvously to see the Browns tank at Cincy.  The Steelers then get the AFCN and #3 or #4 seed home game and can basically take off a week and a half to get ready for the playoffs.

At this point, just win the friggin' TNF game and see what happens.  If they can't take out the Rams and Ravens, they don't deserve a playoff spot anyway.
« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2007 at 23:37 by padgfrombf » Logged
Buckeye Stillers
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2007 at 12:28 »

Tenn ends the season at Indy.......as long as they don't rest anyone....I don't see Indy losing at home.

2005-06 WORLD CHAMPIONS - THE PITTSBURGH STEELERS ...HERE WE GO !!!

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2007 at 12:43 »

Tenn ends the season at Indy.......as long as they don't rest anyone....I don't see Indy losing at home.
I could be wrong, but I don't think Indy will have anything to play for (other than to keep from being rusty) in Week 17.  I could see them resting some starters in the second half, at least.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
padgfrombf

« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2007 at 15:13 »

You're absolute right, aj, Indy is locked into the #2 slot.  Expect Jim Sorgi early and often in the next two weeks.  
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2007 at 15:27 »

SING JIM CORGI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
ben2hines4six

Proud member of STEELER NATION!!!!!!

« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2007 at 15:38 »

Ya the more I look at it, the more i think Steelers need to win out to make playoffs....I see them winning the division or out, I really feel that the Titans will win out (colts nothing to play for) and the browns could easily do so as well.
jasonic
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2007 at 16:08 »

if i remember correctly, the colts were trying to go perfect and then lost and then sat out all their starters on the last game because they were a lock for the playoffs.  i can't see them diverting from that strategy this year, especially considering they're not the team to beat anymore.

if we don't beat baltimore, we are fucked and don't deserve a playoff spot.  they just got beat by miami for christsakes

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2007 at 00:20 »

if we don't beat baltimore, we are fucked and don't deserve a playoff spot.  they just got beat by miami for christsakes
And we only beat Miami by 3....

It ain't gonna be easy boys.  Not that I think we'll get anywhere in the playoffs, the way we're playing.

I'm gonna be an apologist.  We suck more than we should, but I think Mikey T is the man for the future, and his learning curve is pretty short.  I'll take this season, and bank on an amazing 2008....

(But like ARE says in his video...we came in as a 6 seed once, and won it all....anything can happen)

I'm still the one with the boobs.
jasonic
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2007 at 02:22 »

don't get me wrong, i love Tomlin (look at my avatar).  I believe he is the future and a badass to boot.  my good friend who unfortunately is a diehard cinci fan is scared that he will pad up and catch some touchdowns because we're missing a good number 3.  he says it every week, it's funny.

i know we beat miami by 3 but it was also on a shit field.  we were goddamded guaranteed a playoff spot and now....i'm nervous.  baltimore is always tough especially on the road and tennessee, even though we're not playing them directly, always has had our fucking number since they came into the league.  i hate that sunglass wearing bitch Jeff Fischer as much as Jack Del Rio but not as much as Jerry Jones.  and of course, Belechek tops the hate list with his butt boy Brady....

aaaaarrrrrrggghhhhhh

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: