Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 23, 2014 at 21:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Faneca named Pro Bowl starter  (Read 955 times)
mzimmerman81
Old School Member

« on: Dec 18, 2007 at 15:10 »

Per Siruis NFL radio

hilarious and horrible

2007 MGS Bracket Challenge Winner
Hercules50.
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2007 at 15:17 »

James Harrison also voted a starter.

Big Ben, Polamalu, Willie are reserves.

Troy and Faneca make it on rep, because neither has had a Pro Bowl season. Too bad Aaron Smith didn't get in, but I'm happy for Ben, Harrison, and Parker.
ben2hines4six

Proud member of STEELER NATION!!!!!!

« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2007 at 15:41 »

I am thrilled for Ben, it's tough to make it in the AFC when 2 out of 3 spots are locked every season. Also nice to see James there. Faneca being named a starter is serious evidence that the NFL needs to get rid of fan voting, that is a joke. Seriously though, how does that happen? I don't think any Steeler fan would vote for any member of our O-line, though some must have for him to be there.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2007 at 16:45 »

Ridiculous.  That's why he'll be overpriced.  

#43 didn't deserve to make it either.  He's made a few nice plays this year, but he's also missed a boatload of tackles.

No love for #98 once again.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
DoctorJohnnyFever
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2007 at 17:30 »

Love Troy, but he didn't have a Pro Bowl season. No one from this offensive line should be allowed near Hawaii.

Awesome for Ben, Harrison and Willie....sucks for Casey, again.

And, once again, Fred Taylor gets the snub.

"The MGS board is regarded here as a board with adult rated content. There are virtually no rules. There are no words that are inappropriate and no subject that cannot be discussed. Should you feel the need to get crazy, do it there. You will be welcomed with open arms."

CityofChamps1979
N00b

« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2007 at 22:05 »

Faneca?  Do the D-Linemen vote him in as a joke?  So they can maul him in Hawaii?

I think it's awesome especially for Ben, who could have legitimately made it in 2004 and is having an incredible year if you're watching him play every Sunday.  
And, this is a comeback year for him, so...

It's a shame that Garrard isn't going but there's no way Peyton Manning gets left off with a 14-2 record.  

Ogden making the cut is pretty ironic since James Harrison embarrassed him on Sunday Night Football, pretty much making the Pro Bowl that night.

I thought Heat might sneak in but Gonzalez trumps him.  Next year?
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2007 at 00:13 »

In defense of Faneca, doesn't it seem like he's been having to block 2 men (at least) all season due to Mahan being on the ground most of the time?

Sure, I'm not sure he's had a pro bowl season, but I don't think he's as terrible as some might think...

I'm still the one with the boobs.
BleedGreen710
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2007 at 07:56 »

He may have to help sometimes, and its true that playing on such a porous line may make you look worse than you actually are, but when it comes to him blocking, just the guy he's supposed to.  He just doesn't have it anymore.

Faneca has gotten blown off the line way too often this year.  He isn't even close to the player he was three years ago.  Thank you for your tenure here, it really was great to see you in your prime.  Good riddance.

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 3rd round draft pick.
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2007 at 08:31 »

Manuwai was robbed.

Faneca was a total rep pick.

I have no problem with Troy going in. He has played very well for us, when he's actually played, and he's the biggest name on the #1 defense in football. Sometimes that's just how it goes. Nobody missed out that is having a superstar year at that spot.

If Ray Lewis is allowed to be there then Troy should be named defensive captain.

Garrard is not having a Pro Bowl year by any measure. Not whenever Roethlisberger, Brady and Manning have done what they've done. Three QBs go and he's not in the best 3. Clearly.

Winslow is having a better year and also could've kept Heath Miller off.

No one from this offensive line should be allowed near Hawaii.

Ben says he is bringing them all with him. I understand his generous, selfless nature and it is customary to pay their way as a QB but if I were Roethlisberger I'd be looking into my life insurance policies with more scrutiny than keeping our sad sack line happy. Ben's '07 season has been every bit as dangerous to his health as his '06 Post-Super Bowl offseason.

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
Hercules50.
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2007 at 08:37 »

To some extent, the Pro Bowl in the NFL works like a "career recognition" award, as much it recognizes an individual season. This partly explains why many players in their first good season fail to make it. Ben in 2004 should have made it, but I can see him getting his due and being a lock for the pro bowl for several years running.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: