Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 20, 2014 at 06:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blessing in Disguise  (Read 3432 times)
Jason15215
N00b

« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2007 at 00:24 »

This is a joke right??? Ok w/out Parker that takes away the playaction pass. Davenport will not be able to carry the load for a full game. What if Davenport gets hurt???? Verron Haynes (a guy out of football)??? Only in Pgh would fans say it might be a good thing to lose the NFL's leading rusher. When are people gonna start calling Madden or Benz to ask if resigning Bettis is the answer?
Jason15215
N00b

« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2007 at 00:28 »

People in Pgh have this fantasy that any lard ass runner over 260 lbs is the next Jerome Bettis. We could draft Walter Payton and fans here would want him to gain 60 lbs so he could be a "smash mouth" runner. Davenport doesnt even run big. He runs straight up and down so thats why he doesnt get those extra couple yards everytime like Bettis used to get. The Steelers are now a 1 dimensional team. We better hope BOTH Tenn and Cle lose next week because the Ravens game got that much tougher w/out a running game.
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2007 at 06:23 »

People in Pgh have this fantasy that any lard ass runner over 260 lbs is the next Jerome Bettis. We could draft Walter Payton and fans here would want him to gain 60 lbs so he could be a "smash mouth" runner. Davenport doesnt even run big. He runs straight up and down so thats why he doesnt get those extra couple yards everytime like Bettis used to get. The Steelers are now a 1 dimensional team. We better hope BOTH Tenn and Cle lose next week because the Ravens game got that much tougher w/out a running game.
I agree with you Jason. I like Dookie, I do, and he may be a "big back", but he doesn't run like a big back. He goes down quite easily. FWP will be missed. The only upside is that maybe that kid from Minnysota gets to shine. I think he is going to be another gem. Get well soon Willie!

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #13 on: Dec 21, 2007 at 06:49 »

For those who want a big back.....

DARFT OWNE SHMITT!!!!!!!111

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2007 at 07:27 »

I agree with you Jason. I like Dookie, I do, and he may be a "big back", but he doesn't run like a big back. He goes down quite easily. FWP will be missed. The only upside is that maybe that kid from Minnysota gets to shine. I think he is going to be another gem. Get well soon Willie!

My suggestion would be to start Gary Russell and keep Najeh in the 3rd down role but rotate Russell and Davenport a little more often to keep both fresh. I just don't think Davenport is in condition to play an entire game as the lone starter. For crying out loud, he injured his foot while riding a stationary bike in an attempt to keep his weight down. I've never heard of a halfback having to "slim down" mid-season. Even Bettis managed his weight during the season.

Willie will be missed. Just how much remains to be seen. Having lost a key member of the defense and now the offense, I just Tomlin/Arians can make the proper adjustments.

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
Hercules50.
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #15 on: Dec 21, 2007 at 07:40 »

I think WiH's post has more to do with frustration over the team's unwillingness to use its assets than it does with saying that "we're better off without Willie."

This team is stubborn about:
- Using FWP almost exclusively, when it's clear that Davenport and even Davis have some skills to contribute to the O
- Exposing Ben to as much injury risk as possible (though some of it's on him, his own stubborness)

That's how I read it anyway, and that's my 2 cents in any event. No, we're def not better off without Willie. But on the other hand, we underuse our RB depth.

Like DJF says, it's Ben's team, RB is the most replaceable position (even though Willie is one of a kind), and even the wonderful '05 run had way more to do with Ben than any RB. Our O-line was, in my view, overrated even then.

In good news, Willie just broke a bone, right? No ligament stuff? Bones heal.
« Last Edit: Dec 21, 2007 at 07:41 by Hercules50. » Logged
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Dec 21, 2007 at 07:48 »

My suggestion would be to start Gary Russell and keep Najeh in the 3rd down role but rotate Russell and Davenport a little more often to keep both fresh. I just don't think Davenport is in condition to play an entire game as the lone starter. For crying out loud, he injured his foot while riding a stationary bike in an attempt to keep his weight down. I've never heard of a halfback having to "slim down" mid-season. Even Bettis managed his weight during the season.

Willie will be missed. Just how much remains to be seen. Having lost a key member of the defense and now the offense, I just Tomlin/Arians can make the proper adjustments.
I'll reverse that.  Give Dookie the load, he's more game-ready.  But let's get a real good look at Russell, finally, please.  I think he could be a tremendous asset to this team, but we need to see him in real game-time play, consistently.

And frankly, I thought Davis played pertty well recently.  He's no Kreider, nor is Dookie Willie, but in his role he's seemed to pick things up of late.  Some great special teams play, some decent lead blocking, and whatever run and catch BA calls for him.  I'd like to see some plays with 38 and 44 in the backfield where the handoff goes to 38 and he catches D's by surprise.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Dec 21, 2007 at 07:54 »

I think WiH's post has more to do with frustration over the team's unwillingness to use its assets than it does with saying that "we're better off without Willie."

This team is stubborn about:
- Using FWP almost exclusively, when it's clear that Davenport and even Davis have some skills to contribute to the O
- Exposing Ben to as much injury risk as possible (though some of it's on him, his own stubborness)

That's how I read it anyway, and that's my 2 cents in any event. No, we're def not better off without Willie. But on the other hand, we underuse our RB depth.

Like DJF says, it's Ben's team, RB is the most replaceable position (even though Willie is one of a kind), and even the wonderful '05 run had way more to do with Ben than any RB. Our O-line was, in my view, overrated even then.

In good news, Willie just broke a bone, right? No ligament stuff? Bones heal.
Agree with all that.  And a broken fibula, IMO, is better than a torn ligament: speed's Willie's bread and butter, and a bone can heal cleanly and completely.  He should be fine next year.  Didn't look like a horrendous break.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Dec 21, 2007 at 07:59 »

Losing FWP is not good.  Never could be.

But I get what WiH is saying....Parker's best asset, his speed, works well on turf and during the warmer months of the year.  But in the mush and slop of January post-season football, Parker is going to have a difficult time hitting the corner for much gain.

What you would prefer is to have both guys available.  Davenport is no Bettis.  Not close.  He isn't a good short yardage guy.  I think he is good enough to step in and get 4.2+ YPC.  And it will be off of consistent 4-6 yard running plays.  

Moreso than Davenport, if healthy, it will be nice to have Haynes back on 3rd down for pass pro.  He's better at pass pro than RB/FB we've had on the roster this year.

Do I want Haynes back at the cost of Parker?  That seems a silly question.  Though, looking at the pass pro last night, we could easily be without Ben going into the playoffs if the IOL play continues as it has.  

Interesting scenario....would you rather have FWP available for the playoffs or lose FWP to injury, sign Haynes for improved pass pro on 3rd down, and have Ben better protected?  I dunno, maybe it's a stupid scenario.  

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Hercules50.
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #19 on: Dec 21, 2007 at 08:05 »

But let's get a real good look at Russell, finally, please.  I think he could be a tremendous asset to this team, but we need to see him in real game-time play, consistently.

Yes.

The main reason I'm rooting for a Cinci win against the Browns -- we could rest Ben, Hines, Harrison, Haggans, other beat-up players, and give a bunch of young guys a look against B-more:

Russell
Timmons
Woodley
Gay
Kemoteau

This isn't to say the playoffs themselves wouldn't be nice, but more as a notch on the team's belt. This team isn't going anywhere in the playoffs, and I don't mean for that to sound defeatist. I'll root my ass off for them in the second season.

But: This isn't 2005. In 2005, we were an elite-level team that was the 6th seed only by virtue of Ben missing some critical games. We weren't some fluke that got hot at the right time, like the Browns would be this year if they won the Super Bowl, or the Vikings. We were more like what the Pats or Colts would be this year if they'd lost their QBs for any length of time.

This team has big  problems (most of which are fixable in one offseason), but could win a division anyway. That's mostly damn good news for the future.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: