Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 27, 2014 at 09:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blessing in Disguise  (Read 3233 times)
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #30 on: Dec 21, 2007 at 11:10 »

Haynes? I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't feel supremely confident that a guy that's been sittin' around waiting for a phone call from some team is going to hit the ground running and be in NFL shape late in December.

I don't think you could ask him to carry the load if Dookie got hurt, but I suspect he could fill in.  He knows the system, and while he hasn't been on a team, these guys tend to keep themselves in shape just in case they get a call.

I think we could get 20 plays out of him.  1-2 carries, 1 reception, but mainly pass blocking.
DoctorJohnnyFever
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #31 on: Dec 21, 2007 at 17:21 »

see it differently -- there are exceptions, but usually, it's the winning that comes first, and the large rushing total is an effect of that.

A lot our yards -- definitely during the AFC playoffs -- came when we were running out the clock and pounding the defense.

Bingo.

"The MGS board is regarded here as a board with adult rated content. There are virtually no rules. There are no words that are inappropriate and no subject that cannot be discussed. Should you feel the need to get crazy, do it there. You will be welcomed with open arms."

Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #32 on: Dec 21, 2007 at 17:54 »

The entire premise of this thread is absurd. We are a worse team without #39.

Absolutely. Abject insanity throughout the thread.  

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #33 on: Dec 22, 2007 at 13:26 »

FWP is leading the NFL in rushing because Peterson has missed several games due to injury and Norm is an idiot for only giving th eball to LT 8-10 times per game.

Willie going down isn't something to wish for, but look at some of our recent games vs Rams game.  Willie getting 0 to -2 per carry against teams like Patriots and Jags absolutely kills the Defense.  Because Arians runs on 1st and 2nd downs, a lot, and passes on 3rd and 12, on obvious passing downs, we have a lot of drives that are 3 and out or we get one or two 1st downs.  I also realize the Rams defense is different that the last two teams we have played, but Dookie getting 3-4 yards and falling forward on every play is better than Willie getting stuffed, and breaking a 12 yarder on every 15th carry.  Our Defense needs some rest in the 2nd half, since they let opponents consistently drive the field.  That is the only reason the Jags scored at the end of the game, IMO, because the D was dog tired and the O wasn't on the field for any length of time.

Arians has to use Dookie more, early in the game, and then Parker will be more successful later in the game.    

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
143steelcity
N00b

« Reply #34 on: Dec 22, 2007 at 21:39 »

This is a joke right??? Ok w/out Parker that takes away the playaction pass. Davenport will not be able to carry the load for a full game. What if Davenport gets hurt???? Verron Haynes (a guy out of football)??? Only in Pgh would fans say it might be a good thing to lose the NFL's leading rusher. When are people gonna start calling Madden or Benz to ask if resigning Bettis is the answer?
all right im sorry..but that my friend was a dumb comment. Parker is the one who hasnt held the load as well. With as many carries as Parker has had he better have the most yrds. His yards per carry are not as good as Davenport. If you remember Davis was there for Davenport.  Parker tends to get nothing..then neg...then hell have some great breakaway run.  The one thing that upsets me about losing Parker is that we cant mix it up as much.  
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #35 on: Dec 23, 2007 at 01:22 »

With as many carries as Parker has had he better have the most yrds. His yards per carry are not as good as Davenport.

I just do not understand this.  Why are people so down on a guy who is leading the NFL in rushing?  I just cannot for the life of me figure out the negative attitude towards FWP.  This guy has done nothing but work his butt off and exceed expectations since the day he arrived up to and including the play where he got hurt.  If you want to know why he sometimes goes down in the backfield, check my earlier post about what some "blockers" were doing when Willie got hurt.

As for the YPC, Willie is still averaging 4.1.  It could be said that Davenport's YPC is just as skewed with some big runs as Willie's is.  I think Davenport will be okay, but...let me just say that I'm not glad at all that Willie is gone for the year.  I don't think this helps us at all, it basically hurts us.  Badly, IMO.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
padgfrombf

« Reply #36 on: Dec 23, 2007 at 03:13 »

I don't understand, either.  If they could do a tape rewind and substitute Dookie for FWP for all 320 carries this year, would he have more yards?  Assuming that Davenport would actually hold up under that load (I doubt it), he probably would not be anywhere near FWP's total.

Now you could argue that the Steelers should have run Dookie more and Willie less, but that's not the same thing as saying that FWP shouldn't be playing at all.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #37 on: Dec 23, 2007 at 07:57 »

Now you could argue that the Steelers should have run Dookie more and Willie less, but that's not the same thing as saying that FWP shouldn't be playing at all.
Not like Willie's workload should have been a surprise, either.  "We're going to run him until the wheels come off" was Tomlin's line comng out of camp.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #38 on: Dec 23, 2007 at 08:45 »

With as many carries as Parker has had he better have the most yrds. His yards per carry are not as good as Davenport.

I just do not understand this.  Why are people so down on a guy who is leading the NFL in rushing?  I just cannot for the life of me figure out the negative attitude towards FWP.  This guy has done nothing but work his butt off and exceed expectations since the day he arrived up to and including the play where he got hurt.  If you want to know why he sometimes goes down in the backfield, check my earlier post about what some "blockers" were doing when Willie got hurt.

As for the YPC, Willie is still averaging 4.1.  It could be said that Davenport's YPC is just as skewed with some big runs as Willie's is.  I think Davenport will be okay, but...let me just say that I'm not glad at all that Willie is gone for the year.  I don't think this helps us at all, it basically hurts us.  Badly, IMO.
I agree..Dookie YPC is higher because of some meaningless 3rd down runs and cleaning up in slop time early in the season. If he was the full time starter since week 1, there is no way in hell he would be leading the league in yards going into week 15. And Davenport is not starter quality durable. He has had injury problems most of his career.....FWP is by far the best RB on the roster, and no one would be talking this shit if he had a decent OL and had like 2000 yards...FWP you the man! Get well soon and we'll see ya next year.
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #39 on: Dec 23, 2007 at 09:00 »

man, this thread sure got out of hand quickly..didnt eh?  We are a weaker team without Parker...PERIOD.   did anyone catch the very next play after willie went down?  it was the same gawdamn play and Dookie lost even more yards than willie did.

Arians is shit...the O line plays like garbage half the time.  that is the reason for FWP's 4.1 average.  its not because he cant, its because he is NOT ABLE to.   in spite of all Willie goes up against, he still lead the league in rushing and had a DECENT average.

and Dookie sure as shit cant do any better either...and he NEVER will be the BUS.

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: