Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 19, 2014 at 18:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blessing in Disguise  (Read 3729 times)
Who farted?
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #40 on: Dec 23, 2007 at 09:32 »

Back in 02 Bettis had a 3.6 ypc, and there were a lot of people clamoring for Zereoue to start over Bettis, based on his 5ypc, ripping off 8 yard draws on 3rd and 10.  Bettis got hurt in the Indy game and fans got their wish.  Zereoue closed the show with a 3.3 ypc, deflating his 5ypc down to 3.9 by year's end.  Looking at YPC without factoring the situations they come from is silly.  Otherwise, might as well make Ben their feature back.  He'd own the single season rushing record if he got all of Parker's carries.

Fwiw, both this year and for his career, Dookie has a higher rate of negative plays than Parker.
Winters in Holland
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #41 on: Dec 23, 2007 at 10:28 »

Not like Willie's workload should have been a surprise, either.  "We're going to run him until the wheels come off" was Tomlin's line comng out of camp.

Mission accomplished, Tomlin.

While Parker's injury was from a sort of freak tackle, I still think we would've been an overall better team had Tomlin/Arians mixed it up more with Parker and Davenport.

And jacksplat?  For the love of all that is good and pure, find me one place in this thread where any one poster says it's better that Parker is now injured and unable to play with the team.

Often people that disagree tend to over-exaggerate their opponents' point of view to make their own reasoning look more realistic.

.WiH.  
« Last Edit: Dec 23, 2007 at 10:29 by Winters in Holland » Logged

I don't care if Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy are black. Good for them. But that doesn't change the way I feel about them. The longer we keep looking at guys like Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith as "BLACK HEAD COACHES" as opposed to just "coaches" the longer race will continue to be a problem. --DoctorJohnnyFever
BleedGreen710

« Reply #42 on: Dec 23, 2007 at 12:39 »

I don't really understand where people are getting the idea that Davenport is such a bruising running back??  Honestly, I think the guy runs like a total panzy for his size.  I think that people have the idea that Davenport is a bruiser just on his size alone.  I really do feel that Willie is more bruising than Najei.  Not that either are overwhelmingly powerful....  

I do however, like the way Najei returns kickoffs.  He shows less speed than Rossum, but he shows better vision, and patience.

Steelers with 39 >>>> Steelers w/out 39

Case closed.
« Last Edit: Dec 23, 2007 at 12:49 by BleedGreen710 » Logged

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 3rd round draft pick.
Winters in Holland

« Reply #43 on: Dec 23, 2007 at 12:45 »

You are an idiot.  

I don't think anyone here is saying that the Steelers are a better team without Parker.  

I simply like the fact that his absence will force the team into running Davenport, and I think he could be the type of back we need to do well during the playoffs.  He would not have gotten that chance if Parker was still here.

Honestly, I think the guy runs like a total panzy for his size.

Honestly, the fact that he has the highest % of successful 1st downs on 3rd/4th and short in the NFL totally refutes your gumption.

.WiH.

I don't care if Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy are black. Good for them. But that doesn't change the way I feel about them. The longer we keep looking at guys like Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith as "BLACK HEAD COACHES" as opposed to just "coaches" the longer race will continue to be a problem. --DoctorJohnnyFever
BleedGreen710

« Reply #44 on: Dec 23, 2007 at 12:52 »

Honestly, the fact that he has the highest % of successful 1st downs on 3rd/4th and short in the NFL totally refutes your gumption.

.WiH.
Am I the only person that was surprised as shit to see those stats when they showed them about Davenport statistically being the number one back on short yardage?  

And fuck yourself.  I don't think he runs hard.

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 3rd round draft pick.
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #45 on: Dec 23, 2007 at 16:33 »

Najeh is not a bruising type of back UNTIL he gets a head of steam and is into the "next level." He does not run low, and usually hits the line high.  He doesn't punish anyone in short yardage.

He is not, however, a pussy. He just has to run high to be effective, which, in my opinion, does limit his all-around running ability. Since our O-line sucks, if he has anyone in his face in the backfield, we will be screwed. Ironically, he probably isn't going to run as good between the tackles as did FWP -- at least, not behind this shitty line.  He has down well running around end, etc.

He has had a tendency to go over the top to get first downs and TD's (even when Kemo came in to plow a nice hole for him last week). My concern is that playoff opponents will note this tendency and he will get stopped on an important play in the next few weeks.  

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
DoctorJohnnyFever
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #46 on: Dec 23, 2007 at 16:38 »

I'm still shocked Davenport has that percentage, mainly because he was abysmal in the same situations last year. And I agree that he's not a power runner.

That said, I stick with that I said earlier - or in another thread, I can't keep track - the playoffs aren't going to come down to the running back.........they're going to come down  to Marvell Smith, Alan Faneca, Sean Mahan, Kendall Simmons, Willie Colon, and Max Starks.
« Last Edit: Dec 23, 2007 at 16:39 by DoctorJohnnyFever » Logged

"The MGS board is regarded here as a board with adult rated content. There are virtually no rules. There are no words that are inappropriate and no subject that cannot be discussed. Should you feel the need to get crazy, do it there. You will be welcomed with open arms."

sage
Kickin the Bengals Ass since 1933

« Reply #47 on: Dec 23, 2007 at 17:08 »

the playoffs aren't going to come down to the running back.........they're going to come down  to Marvell Smith, Alan Faneca, Sean Mahan, Kendall Simmons, Willie Colon, and Max Starks.
oh fuck.....

Go Steelers
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: