Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 25, 2014 at 13:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NFL Network Broadcast Quality  (Read 937 times)
Winters in Holland
Brownstains can suck my Member

« on: Dec 20, 2007 at 23:07 »

I'm pretty sure I could put in an old tape of one of my high school football games from 1998, and the quality would be remarkably similar, if not better, than the NFL Network's broadcasts.

Seriously now.  One would logically reason that, for a network devoted to only carrying the NFL, their broadcast quality should actually be BETTER than CBS, NBC, or FOX.

Holy shit is it bad.

1.  Their graphics look like they were from 1982.

2.  They basically have no teleprompter whatsoever (or whatever that thing is where analysts draw X's and O's on the screen).

3.  Instant replays are minimal.

4.  The video quality makes every place they're playing (dome or not) look like a dungeon.  The range between light and dark is just huge.

5.  The picture simply isn't sharp.

6.  I actually liked Deion tonight, but I think I'd rather listen to Schindler's List in the background than hear Bryant Gumball try to be insightful.  I'd call the guy a beatoff, but that would be an insult to beatoffs everywhere.

7.  Finally, the sound levels are all fucked up.  The volume of the commentators basically dominates all else, which should never be.  Perhaps the crowd was fairly quiet tonight, but still- on the field noise is almost nonexistant.  

I've seen gonzo flicks with better quality.  Tonight's game felt more like I was watching some sort of semi-pro scrimmage than an NFL game that actually counted.

.WiH.

I don't care if Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy are black. Good for them. But that doesn't change the way I feel about them. The longer we keep looking at guys like Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith as "BLACK HEAD COACHES" as opposed to just "coaches" the longer race will continue to be a problem. --DoctorJohnnyFever
Winters in Holland
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2007 at 23:08 »

8.  Oh, and about the only cool thing they have (the above-the-field diagonal angle type camera), they basically ripped off from the XFL.

Bitches,

.WiH.

PS  I missed Sepulveda's fake punt when it happened, and the pricks never even showed it again once.

I don't care if Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy are black. Good for them. But that doesn't change the way I feel about them. The longer we keep looking at guys like Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith as "BLACK HEAD COACHES" as opposed to just "coaches" the longer race will continue to be a problem. --DoctorJohnnyFever
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2007 at 23:21 »

I didn't have a problem with the Hd picture, but you're right. They have a bush league production. And Gumbel is the absolute worst..yes, even lower than Dierdork.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2007 at 09:01 »

I didn't have a problem with the Hd picture, but you're right. They have a bush league production. And Gumbel is the absolute worst..yes, even lower than Dierdork.
As annoying as I think Neon Deion is, I was so hoping he would reach over and choke the life out of Gumballs last night.  No such luck.

Faulk wasn't too bad considering it was a Rams game.

Personally, I kinda like Dierdorf.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Hercules50.
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2007 at 09:03 »

I think Deion and Faulk are pretty good, and insightful, which means they haven't been in the media long enough to just be hype- and cliche-machines.

As for Gumbel, well....he appears to have come a long way for a retarded person.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2007 at 10:28 »

Dierdorf can be dumb as a brick sometimes, decent and even insightful others.  Any time I hear him, or Michaels, I think they were part of the best MNF team in recent history.  Deion just annoys the piss outta me, and Gumbel just needs the pompous shit beat the fuck outta him.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
TwistedLemon

« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2007 at 14:59 »

At one point, it was like I was watching a video game with pretty good graphics...... instead it was a real game with poor ones.

"My reality check bounced"
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2007 at 13:06 »

Deon has certainly gotten better over time, but he a Faulk together were absolutely horrible.  Throw in that pompous ass Gumdick, and you have the most unwatchable NFL broadcast there is.  I recorded it and watched it yesterday, so it wasn't to painful.  I started to fast forward through the punt snap and hang time, then had to back it up to see it when Dookie ws runing down the field.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2007 at 19:45 »

It's not so much that Bryant is pompous (though he is). It's that he gives play-by-play like a funeral director discusses your loved one's "arrangements." It's so quiet and hypnotically creepy, I just want to turn the damn thing down.

Zero passion...every call is the same, be it a 2 yard carry or a 50 yard TD pass. Guy sucks at play-by-play.

Was no one else available? I'd much prefer Mike Patrick -- is he still alive?

It IS pretty ridiculous that a channel devoted to the NFL's signature game-of-the-week can't manage to have a higher quality broadcast.  

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2007 at 01:07 »

It IS pretty ridiculous that a channel devoted to the NFL's signature game-of-the-week can't manage to have a higher quality broadcast.

The problem is that NFL knows yahoos like us are going to watch, no matter what ding-dongs they put in the booth.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: