Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 20, 2014 at 15:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SD Chargers' Remaining Schedule  (Read 518 times)
Winters in Holland
Brownstains can suck my Member

« on: Dec 21, 2007 at 12:47 »

Lost in all of our concern about Cleveland breathing down our necks is the fact that, if San Deigo loses one of its 2 remaining games, and the Steelers beat Baltimore next week, we'd get back into that #3 seed, instead of the #4.

Why does it matter?

Playoff path of the 3 seed:  Cleveland, Indy, New England

Playoff path of the 4 seed:  Jacksonville, New England, Indy

When I mentioned this 2 weeks ago, people said it didn't matter who we played, because we'd have to beat New England anyway.  

I believe differently.  

1.  If this team isn't playing well enough to win the AFC, I'd rather see us play CLE and IND first, to at least prolong our season.

2.  If we get some momentum by beating CLE and IND, we stand a better chance at upsetting NE.  If we remain the #4 seed, IF we survive the JAX game, the Steelers will be a worn down team going into New England the following week.

Now onto the Chargers...

Their best chance to lose is this Monday night.  They're at home, but they're playing against Denver, who isn't going to make the playoffs, but could still give any team in the AFC a run on the right day.

They finish the season AT Oakland.  The Raiders are better than last year, but are still a woeful 4-10.  However, they've been keeping most games close, and because they Chargers are a common AFC West opponent, they may be able to make a game of it.

I love Batch more than most people here, but if Ben is healthy next week, I think that they need to play him.  We need to give ourselves every chance possible to leapfrog SD back into the #3 spot.

.WiH.
« Last Edit: Dec 21, 2007 at 12:48 by Winters in Holland » Logged

I don't care if Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy are black. Good for them. But that doesn't change the way I feel about them. The longer we keep looking at guys like Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith as "BLACK HEAD COACHES" as opposed to just "coaches" the longer race will continue to be a problem. --DoctorJohnnyFever
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2007 at 13:04 »

They finish the season AT Oakland.  The Raiders are better than last year, but are still a woeful 4-10.  However, they've been keeping most games close, and because they Chargers are a common AFC West opponent, they may be able to make a game of it.

Not after losing Fargas.

IMO, it's this week or bust for Pittsburgh hoping for a SD loss.  

I mentioned it on a few other threads.  Ideally, they need to root for Cincinnati and Denver.  That would put them in the best possible position going into the playoffs.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2007 at 13:05 »

Your 3 seed scenario presumes NE beats the SD-Jax winner.  I think Jax could beat them right now.  Your 4 seed scenario presumes the Chargers beat Cleveland and the Colts beat the Chargers.  I assume nothing this year.

But if things play out as you have them, I'd rather take the 3 seed path, for sure.  Although I do think we'd play better the second time against either Jax or NE.  

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2007 at 13:11 »

One other point that I mentioned yesterday, but I can't find the thread...

If Pitt snags the #3, Jacksonville will probably face SD in R1.  Assuming Pittsburgh wins their R1 matchup, the winner of the SD/JAX game goes on to Foxboro.  If Jacksonville continues to play well, they would be a matchup nightmare for the Patriots, IMO.  Their offense could pound it out against New England's defense, thereby keeping the Patriots offense off the field and defensively, they're one of the few teams that can bring pressure with their front four even without Stroud and Henderson.

It's a matchup that I'd like to see, anyway.
« Last Edit: Dec 21, 2007 at 13:12 by aj_law » Logged

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Winters in Holland
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2007 at 14:20 »

I totally agree.

Right now, the best team in the AFC against the Patriots would have to be Jacksonville.

In that scenario, if Pittsburgh was able to upend Indy (and I certainly think that's a possibility), we'd either get:

1.  Jacksonville at home for the AFCC.

2.  A beat up Patriots team at Foxborough.

Granted, if SD doesn't lose another game, it's probably moot, but if there's one thing that has plagued the Chargers over the past 2 seasons, it's been inconsistency.

.WiH.

I don't care if Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy are black. Good for them. But that doesn't change the way I feel about them. The longer we keep looking at guys like Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith as "BLACK HEAD COACHES" as opposed to just "coaches" the longer race will continue to be a problem. --DoctorJohnnyFever
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: