Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 28, 2014 at 13:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cut Marvel Smith?  (Read 778 times)
jcharding
Brownstains can suck my Member

« on: Dec 22, 2007 at 13:26 »

Marvel's last contract year is the 2008 season.  His 2008 salary is $3.95 million, with an overall cap hit of $6.645 million.  His pre June 1 cap hit, if cut, would be $2.195 million, post June 1st it would be $2.695 million.

Given his declining play, does it now make sense to cut him and use those savings for another lineman?  I am not saying that we should necessarily throw money at Starks (who has played well) - especially given Starks' track record (as well as the stupid coin we threw at Simmons), but at this point cutting Marvel makes an increasing amount of sense.

I don't need no stinking avatar!
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2007 at 14:16 »

I don't know about straight up cutting Marvel. Clearly his best years at LT are behind him, but I think he could take the LG spot after Reddy leaves. At guard he wouldn't have to deal with the speed rushers off the edge that give him the most problems.  
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2007 at 00:04 »

Tough to do that IMO...After Faneca leaves, he's our best lineman (not saying much I know). We need to get other people in for OL, not get rid of what we have. I'm all for bringing in some new starters next year, but not for getting rid of good depth guys for behind that person too. I don't see any reason why we couldn't keep Smith for his last year and still sign and draft some other OL help.

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

padgfrombf

« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2007 at 00:22 »

Marvel's last contract year is the 2008 season.  His 2008 salary is $3.95 million, with an overall cap hit of $6.645 million.  His pre June 1 cap hit, if cut, would be $2.195 million, post June 1st it would be $2.695 million.

Given his declining play, does it now make sense to cut him and use those savings for another lineman?  I am not saying that we should necessarily throw money at Starks (who has played well) - especially given Starks' track record (as well as the stupid coin we threw at Simmons), but at this point cutting Marvel makes an increasing amount of sense.
Unless you have someone in mind, though, you're only one injury away from Trai Essex.

I'd think that you want to fix the IOL first.  Faneca could well be gone, and Mahan-Simmons in tandem has often been pretty grim.  Using Marvel's cap savings to address this might help, but also leaves the Steelers thin upfront.
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2007 at 08:34 »

Mahan-Simmons in tandem has often been pretty grim.
I hope that isn't a joke about Russ.

It isn't funny -- the wounds are still too fresh...<sniff, sniff>

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
padgfrombf

« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2007 at 09:00 »

Mahan-Simmons in tandem has often been pretty grim.
I hope that isn't a joke about Russ.

It isn't funny -- the wounds are still too fresh...<sniff, sniff>
Holy crap, batman, that wasn't intentional, though there may be something subliminal or Freudian in there.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: