Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 30, 2014 at 03:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Salary cap  (Read 1029 times)
cbk_87
No longer a N00b!

« on: Dec 24, 2007 at 17:25 »

I'm just wondering how every year we have no cap space to sign any good player ?
We have no big names players so what gives?
Ben and Troy will get big contracts and they deserve it. Faneca should get resigned but ther going to let him walk to a smarter team . The way i c are roster we should have allot more then like 3 to 4 mill every year for free agents,unless we overpay are players ?
If any 1 has a idea why we have no cap space every year post your thoughts
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2007 at 17:34 »

See Taylor, Ike.

Also, Troy already has his monster deal in place. So, it's just Ben...and maybe Starks, or even Faneca, but pretty unlikely there.  

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
cbk_87
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2007 at 17:46 »

So after we sign these guy's will be at the cap's max for years to come ?
Wow thats unbelievable you sign like 5 players and then you got nothing to sign free agents in the off season man something is wrong with this picture
Ya your probably right about over paying Ike but still we never sign anyone worth mentioning Mahan are they 4 real fucking bs if you ask any steelers fan
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2007 at 20:04 »

Yes and no.  FA is not a panacea.

Remember, for every Patriots'esque FA team supercharge, there is a Redskins'esque turd farm waiting in the wings.  

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
schnoah

« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2007 at 14:47 »

Alright, here is the deal.

After the season when we get our first look at the Salary cap and all the players are off.... The Steelers will have close to 25M this season.

So if the Steelers extend Ben and part of his signing bonus will go to this year, that should still leave us with 20M. So we look at re-signing Faneca, or going after Ryan Lilja or Jake Scott. Could also go after someone like Randal Gay from NE... Could get really interesting... depending on what they decide to do!

Here We Go Steelers!!!!  
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2007 at 15:00 »

Haven't looked closely at this, but my guesstimate is that our cap is closer to $20M than $25M; lots of teams IIRC will be at that amount or more, with a lot of recent cap purges; once we extend some folks and work a deal with Ben, I expect us to be well under $10M; take out yer rookie pool, and I'm guessing we're closer to $5M.

Again.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
schnoah

« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2007 at 15:33 »

http://www.steelersalarycap.com/years/2008.htm

at least a decent overview

Here We Go Steelers!!!!  
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2007 at 15:42 »

Was reading somewhere how much Ben's incentives added up to.  That will be part of the difference between your $25M and my $20M.  May be other players as well hitting some marks.  Have to think we'll be looking at retaining:

Arnold   Harrison   LB   2008   ERFA
Greg   Warren   LS   2008   RFA
Chris   Kemoeatu   OL   2008   RFA
Trai   Essex   OL   2008   RFA
Nate   Washington   WR   2008   RFA
Ricardo   Colclough   CB   2008   UFA
Nick   Eason   DE   2008   UFA
Travis   Kirschke   DE   2008   UFA
Marquis   Cooper   LB   2008   UFA
Clark   Haggans   LB   2008   UFA
Alan   Faneca   OL   2008   UFA
Kendall   Simmons   OL   2008   UFA
Max   Starks   OL   2008   UFA
Brian   St. Pierre   QB   2008   UFA
Dan   Kreider   RB   2008   UFA

Looks like they didn't update the Simmons info; we're stuck with him for a while.  That may be another part of the discrepancy.  Essex is good as gone; Kirschke they might keep, but IMO his time is past.  Eason, easy come easy go.  Cooper's a guy.  Haggans, only for very cheap.  Faneca, yadda yadda.  St. Pea, I hope not.  Kreider, I'm afraid they may not, unfortunately.

Also:  

I am still trying to get more data of Polamalu

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2007 at 15:45 »

That ain't shit.

So much for finding a quality lineman...either DL or OL.  

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2007 at 08:16 »

Could also go after someone like Randal Gay from NE...
Nah, that'd be two Gay's on the same team.  People might talk.  (Is Gay still on our roster?)

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: