Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 21, 2014 at 14:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fuck the Jags  (Read 2424 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2007 at 10:54 »

Said it before, so pardon the repetition.  This team has no consistency.  Come out and beat the crap out of a team, then sleepwalk.  Week to week, and even half to half.  We look dead for three quarters (Cleveland, Jax, Balty, etc.), then make the stirring comeback.  There's certainly no sense of domination, and no sense of the season building towards something.  In 2005, we started strong, faced a mid-season crisis of injuries and losses, then clearly built up steam heading to the postseason.  

It calls to mind the Football Outsiders' variance stat, which I've cited before.  Shows how up and down a team is.  We've been close to the top of the most variable teams, and only Denver finished worse.  Of the playoff teams, here are the variances:

NFC:
1. Dallas - 11th (17.2%)
2. Green Bay - 5th (22.5%)
3. Seattle - 27th (10.5%)
4. Tampa Bay - 6th (21.2%)
5. NY Giants - 31st (7.4%)
6. Washington - 30th (8.6%)

You can argue that NYG and Wash were very consistent, but never consistently great.  Same with Seattle.  Of the other three, TB had some personnel shakeups.  I was a little surprised at GB's variance, but they did have some real oddball games.

AFC
1. New England - 16th (14.6%)
2. Indianapolis - 14th (15.6%)
3. San Diego - 3rd (23.2%)
4. Pittsburgh - 2nd (24.1%)
5. Jax - 25th (11.6%)
6. Tenn - 13th (16.4%)

I think this says that SD and Pitt are clearly limited going up against more consistent teams in the AFC.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #11 on: Dec 31, 2007 at 11:04 »

I wonder how many of the most consistent teams have great OLs?  Hmmm.

While watching the Patsies/Gints game I was bitching and bitching.  The wife asked, why is NE so good?  All I could say at the time was Beardy.  But really, they have a collection of players who sacrifice for the greater consistency.  It really is that simple.  Good point, finny.

This reminds me of a rant I had on the "other" board years ago.  I wanted a team of guys who want to win above all other things.  Take the salary cap and divide by the number of players.  The man standing next to you makes the same dough.  Now go kick ass.  Sadly, the Pastriots are closer to that than any team in the NFL.  The Steelers may aspire to that, but they ain't there yet.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Dec 31, 2007 at 11:43 »

Try as I might, I just can't get pumped about a Steelers team whose biggest win was over Cleveland when the Browns missed a last-second field goal.

Well, that's the stripper that's workin' this party. Enjoy or go home.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Dec 31, 2007 at 11:55 »

Try as I might, I just can't get pumped about a Steelers team whose biggest win was over Cleveland when the Browns missed a last-second field goal.

It's all a matter of perspective.  

Even a midget hooker looks 6 feet tall when you're lying on the ground drunk on whiskey.

Winters in Holland
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #14 on: Dec 31, 2007 at 11:57 »

Kiss my ass, funboy.

It's possible to still be pumped for a game and supportive of a team while keeping a realistic look at their overall accomplishments this year.

The Steelers homerism that pervades this board pops up at the strangest times sometimes...

.WiH.

I don't care if Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy are black. Good for them. But that doesn't change the way I feel about them. The longer we keep looking at guys like Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith as "BLACK HEAD COACHES" as opposed to just "coaches" the longer race will continue to be a problem. --DoctorJohnnyFever
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Dec 31, 2007 at 11:58 »

Even a midget hooker looks 6 feet tall when you're lying on the ground drunk on whiskey.

Penso told me it was a gang of midget hookers.

And they sucker punched him.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Dec 31, 2007 at 12:00 »

Kiss my ass, funboy.

It's possible to still be pumped for a game and supportive of a team while keeping a realistic look at their overall accomplishments this year.

The Steelers homerism that pervades this board pops up at the strangest times sometimes...

.WiH.
I think my midget hooker analogy said that better, but if you wanna meet otis at the Orange Julius, I hear he's a master of the numb chucks.

Winters in Holland
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #17 on: Dec 31, 2007 at 12:00 »

I'm really good at pinching and Indian burns.

.WiH.

I don't care if Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy are black. Good for them. But that doesn't change the way I feel about them. The longer we keep looking at guys like Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith as "BLACK HEAD COACHES" as opposed to just "coaches" the longer race will continue to be a problem. --DoctorJohnnyFever
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Dec 31, 2007 at 12:04 »

Kiss my ass, funboy.

Clean my hoop you Pirate board bitch.

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Dec 31, 2007 at 12:04 »

Penso told me it was a gang of midget hookers.

And they sucker punched him.
They were comig from everywhere, man.  I couldn't get them off!

As for us in the playoffs, well, we know we're a limited ball club and we will progress as long ast Ben can post 100+ passer ratings.  Even then there's no guarantee with our suddenly porous run D.

As for Tomlin's supposed disinterest-- a ludicrous notion to say the least-- anyone else catch him screaming "Bullshit!" at the refs last night?  I forget what call it was.

His challenge on the kickoff I thought was misplaced, but I guess it was a risk/reward scenario.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: