Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 30, 2014 at 23:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arians Out, Billick In  (Read 1509 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2008 at 12:25 »

is it me or did I miss the season where FWP would have had a rushing title if not for injury and BR set a Steeler record for passing TD's behind a horrible O line.

Is Arians really that bad?
Don't forget, Ben woulda broken that Steelers QB sack record if he hadn't sat out the Ravens game.

Arians has been up and down.  No question.  I'll still give him a pass for this year; some games it was evident the guys were flat as week-old soda, dropping balls, running lazy routes, shit like that.  Where he's guilty is that cutesy shit, but Mularkey and Whiz both did that too, so it's nothing new.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2008 at 13:08 »

is it me or did I miss the season where FWP would have had a rushing title if not for injury and BR set a Steeler record for passing TD's behind a horrible O line.

Have you not benn watching the games?  Hand off to Ward in the middle of the line on 4th and one?  How many times have we seen run, no gain, run, no gain, pass in obvious pass situation, punt.  Seems like Arians is either all pass or all run.  How many times does Miller see one or two passes per game?  Ho many times do we see a slant pass to get an easy 6 yards ( I say easy because it works to perfection against the Steeler D)?

He is a terrible play caller.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2008 at 13:45 »

Have you not benn watching the games?  Hand off to Ward in the middle of the line on 4th and one?  How many times have we seen run, no gain, run, no gain, pass in obvious pass situation, punt.  Seems like Arians is either all pass or all run.  How many times does Miller see one or two passes per game?  Ho many times do we see a slant pass to get an easy 6 yards ( I say easy because it works to perfection against the Steeler D)?

Like to see that represented statistically.  I seriously wonder how much different we are in playcalling by down, and by situation.

mrblack66
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2008 at 13:49 »

I will admit that one play to Ward stands out for the year as a really bad call, and there were a few others as well, but I guess I saw this year as an improvement on 06. We finished 9th in the league in scoring 3 spots up from 06 and matched the scoring rank 05. I know the D helped to get good field position in alot of games but you also have to remember the Steelers played 5 of the last 6 games in basically shitty weather.

I know Arians needs to polish his skills, but I guess I'm willing to give him another year based on the team making the playoffs and the big improvement in Bens game.

I'm not cryin'. It's just been raining... on my face.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2008 at 14:23 »

Yeah, it's easy as plug & chug, just like Martz making the Lions into the Greatest Show on Turf, Billick the offensive genius making the Ravens the new Vikings, etc.

Let's not forget that Cameron had a very solid line, the best RB in the game, and the best receiving TE.  Nothing against FWP or Heat, but even the difference in line play would affect outcomes.  

Oh, you mean the same offensive line, best RB in the game and best receiving TE that currently make up the 20-something best offense in the league?  And, they were what under Cameron?  Top 5?

IMO, Detriot's offense struggled in the second half primarily due to injuries on the OL and the loss of RW.  And, let's not forget that he was workin' with Jon Kitna.

I'm pretty confident that either of those guys would be a huge upgrade over Arians.  IMO, they would do a better job of maximizing the effectiveness and potential of this team's offensive weapons.  Then again, I'm more of an opponent to the double/triple TE junk than most here.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2008 at 14:34 »

McNeill's played like shit this year, and the coaching turnover at SD makes our own look like small potatoes.  They lost HC, OC, and DC.  

So the SD line played shitty, Detroit's line played shitty, but Martz or Cameron would be able to overcome our shitty line play?  Other teams show it ain't so.  And other teams have clearly had QB struggles with high OC turnover.  

I think if you put Arians in the '05-'06 Chargers OC role, he'd have had about as much success.  Ditto Arians in the Warner-era Rams.  

Not saying personnel completely overdetermines playcalling acumen, but yeah, it's a big component.  And it all starts in the trenches.

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Jan 03, 2008 at 15:41 »

Martz is a jerk.  I want him nowhere near this team.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2008 at 15:47 »

Martz is a jerk.  I want him nowhere near this team.
I dunno if I'd go that far.

Apparently, Snack clogged the second shitter and it overflowed.  I'm sure Martz in all his genius can figure out how to unstuff that.

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2008 at 23:14 »

Only if he is assinged to section 522, thee "best seats in the house".
« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2008 at 23:15 by pensodyssey » Logged

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2008 at 09:21 »

Not to beat a dead horse, but is Cameron a better OC than Arians?  Yeah, maybe.  I don't know.  But I sincerely doubt he's coming here.  Don't see us firing Arians, period.

Now, a Miami guy who was swept out with Cameron that we should take a look at is their OL coach, Houck.  I gots no problem giving Ol' Smutty his pink.  Again, shit to work with, but IMO:

Cameron > Arians, maybe.  But worth the upset?

Houck >>> Zeirlein.  Worth it.  Instant results.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: