Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 22, 2014 at 04:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 30   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MGS Weight Loss 2008  (Read 17971 times)
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2008 at 08:28 »

Heading out of town for the weekend, so I weighed in today.  225.8.  Down 3.4 from last Friday.  NICE!!!!

This was my 2nd week on my new workout regimen, and is obviously a much needed change in my routine.  I exercised a lot over the weekend, but worked in a fat meal with Lasagna, snacks, and drinks.

I am using my heart rate monitor to track calorie expenditure and heart rate levels and have dialed in my workouts.

I'm now thinking about re-setting my March goal to 210-215 with a much lower % of body fat.  I think I can do it.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2008 at 08:32 »

Has that "Lose 20 pounds in 10 days" banner always been there?

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2008 at 09:40 »

That is kind of funny.  The marvels of modern technology, and the craftiness of Kluis and Co. pulling in ads related to topics.

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2008 at 07:57 »

A bit of a slide this week.  Up to 230.4.  The cruise last weekend didn't help, although I ate fairly well most of the time.  I brought back a sinus infection, so I have a bunch of that crap in my stomach and taking some drugs.  I feel "out of sorts" and maybe that has some effect.  I guess I'll find out next week.

bamf16
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2008 at 09:41 »

I figure it's time for me to post in here...maybe some discussion will help me a little.  Like most people, I'm great at making goals in all areas of my life, but don't follow through as much as I should.  

Part of my motivation is appearance, but a bigger part is my family history of heart disease, high blood pressure, and cancer.  I've never been a small guy, and my resting heart rate and blood pressure are healthier now than they were in high school when I graduated at 205 pounds.  

On January 1st I weighed in at 234 pounds.  My workouts look like this...

-4 sets on the heavy bag in the basement per week.  Sets look like this:
1.  Four 3 minute rounds with 1 minute rest, Four 30 second punchouts with 1 minute rest in between each and finally a 3 minute round.
2.  Three 3 minute rounds with 1 minute rest, Four 1 minute rounds with 1 minute rest, Five 30 second punchouts with 1 minute rest in between each.
3.  One 3 min. round (30s heavy punching, 10 seconds of rest, repeat until done), One 4 min. round (40s heavy punching, 10 seconds rest, repeat until done), One 3 minute round normal pace.
4.  Twelve 1 minute rounds with one minute rest.

-4 sets of 45 minute bike rides in the basement before breakfast (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday).  I hooked up my road bike to an indoor trainer, and I play a game of Madden while riding.  

What's really helping is that my varsity softball team started conditioning, and I refuse to be the coach that blows the whistle and then stands there, so any running they do, I do.  We'll usually do a 10 minute jog through the halls of the school with bursts of sprints every 2-3 minutes, then some lunges, long jumps, agility drills, and sprint work back in the gym.  We end each 2 hour session with some sort of sprinting work as well that I do with them, so these are a nice addition to the workout schedule 2-3 days per week.

Mondays-Fridays my diet is pretty restricted.  After the morning bike ride I eat an apple or orange and a hard boiled egg, cereal mid morning, fruit and a salad or sandwich for lunch, trail mix snack or peanuts mid afternoon, chicken salad (or something light on calories, higher on protein) for dinner, maybe a banana as a snack later.  I have a Gatorade after the AM workout, then my morning coffee, but then drink nothing but water the rest of the day.

On the weekends, I'll let myself go a little.  I don't go eat loaded fries or 50 wings, but last night had Chicken Parm and breadsticks at an Italian restaurant (only ate half and brought the other half home for lunch today).  So that's two days of eating more carbs and some damn good Italian sauce!

This morning my weight was 226, so that's 8 pounds lost in 26 days.  I'm aiming for 2-3 pounds of weight loss per week until the end of February, then 1-2 pounds of loss per week until the end of April, then if I can lose a pound per week in May, that comes out to between 23 and 37 pounds of weight loss.  If I can split the difference, that's 30, meaning I'll weigh at the end of the school year about what I did the day I graduated high school.

That's the plan at least!

No one wants to hear about the labor pains, they just want to see the baby.
--Lou Brock
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2008 at 07:59 »

Sounds like plenty of cardio, with the bag work and running with the team.

Mondays-Fridays my diet is pretty restricted. After the morning bike ride I eat an apple or orange and a hard boiled egg, cereal mid morning, fruit and a salad or sandwich for lunch, trail mix snack or peanuts mid afternoon, chicken salad (or something light on calories, higher on protein) for dinner, maybe a banana as a snack later. I have a Gatorade after the AM workout, then my morning coffee, but then drink nothing but water the rest of the day.

Sounds pretty good.  Be careful with the peanuts, chicken salad, and salad dressing.  If you are making this much effort to eat healthy, don't shoot yourself in the foot with these things that have a lot of fat in them.  People that put 4 or 5 tablespoons of ranch dressing on a big salad, which isn't much since it is thick, are consuming about 50 grams of fat, which is as much (or more than they want if trying to lose weight) as they whould be eating for a whole day.  Throw in some mayo that is in chicken salad, and peanuts and you are negating your efforts.  I know in a lot of "diets" the reccoment almonds.  Still, sounds pretty good, and is you have lost weight and are exercising every day, surely you feel better.

Startign a routine like this is the hardest part.  Once you do it for a few weeks, it is easier to keep it rolling.

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Jan 28, 2008 at 08:16 »

Had to weigh myself today after the disappointing Friday weigh in.

I had my usual weekend exercise, lifted Friday after work, 2 hours of racquet ball Saturday, running yesterday.  Overall around 2700 calories burned from exercise.  Didn't have my true "fat day" on Saturday but had some spaghetti Mrs. BV whipped up Saturday evening and ate as much as I wanted.  Did have a few drinks too.

Weighed in today at 228.  Hopefully last Friday was a rogue fluctuation on the scale.

bamf16
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Jan 29, 2008 at 12:27 »

Sounds like plenty of cardio, with the bag work and running with the team.

Mondays-Fridays my diet is pretty restricted. After the morning bike ride I eat an apple or orange and a hard boiled egg, cereal mid morning, fruit and a salad or sandwich for lunch, trail mix snack or peanuts mid afternoon, chicken salad (or something light on calories, higher on protein) for dinner, maybe a banana as a snack later. I have a Gatorade after the AM workout, then my morning coffee, but then drink nothing but water the rest of the day.

Sounds pretty good.  Be careful with the peanuts, chicken salad, and salad dressing.  If you are making this much effort to eat healthy, don't shoot yourself in the foot with these things that have a lot of fat in them.  People that put 4 or 5 tablespoons of ranch dressing on a big salad, which isn't much since it is thick, are consuming about 50 grams of fat, which is as much (or more than they want if trying to lose weight) as they whould be eating for a whole day.  Throw in some mayo that is in chicken salad, and peanuts and you are negating your efforts.  I know in a lot of "diets" the reccoment almonds.  Still, sounds pretty good, and is you have lost weight and are exercising every day, surely you feel better.

Startign a routine like this is the hardest part.  Once you do it for a few weeks, it is easier to keep it rolling.
Thanks for the advice...

The girlfriend got me on this kick of putting the salad dressing in a cup on the side, and dipping the fork of salad into the dressing.  I've found I use less than half of the cup.  That's helping to save a lot.  Lowfat and non-fat salad dressing tastes the same as regular I think when you use so little of it.  Fat free mayo when mixed in with tuna or chicken salad in the case of a wrap has no noticeable difference as well.

The peanuts or trailmix helps me out with protein, and I keep the portions small enough that I get some healthy fats, but not so much that I ruin things.

I'm always open for advice, so any would be welcomed!

No one wants to hear about the labor pains, they just want to see the baby.
--Lou Brock
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Jan 29, 2008 at 13:27 »

One thing I do in a restaurant, when ordering salad, is to substitute the salad dressing.  I ask for a side of salsa, which has virtually no fat or calories.

Obviously, that won't work with Caesar, which personally, I avoid because of the fat content.  Any place like Red Robin, Chillis, Black Eyed Pea, Applebees ( I think all of those are natl restaurant chains) have really good salads, but I just don't want the fat in the salad dressing.  They usually have some sort of southwestern grilled chicken salad type of thing that goes great with salsa.  Those usually have cheese and sometime even an egg in them, so there is plenty of fat for me for a meal without the dressing.  

Dipping the fork is a good one, and certainly minimizes the amount consumed.

I keep a low fat dressing in the fridge at work for my lunch salad so I'm not getting more than about 5 grams of fat from the dressing.

I feel like that when I'm trying to lose body fat, I should keep my fat intake to a minimum.  I know some diets encourage almonds or nuts, but I just stay away from them.  A personal bias, I guess.
« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2008 at 13:28 by Big Virgil » Logged

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Jan 31, 2008 at 08:59 »

Again, good news, bad news.

Bad news is I'm still mired at 237 for I dunno how many months running.

Good news is, no substantive gain, despite 1) holidays, 2) not much exercise, 3) unlimited drinking.

Serum glucose has been pretty stable, and waistline same.  Hopefully, spring activity will spur some new weight loss.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 30   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: