Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 24, 2014 at 12:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 29 [30]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MGS Weight Loss 2008  (Read 17981 times)
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #290 on: Dec 17, 2008 at 08:13 »

I currently have a fat day once a week Vin.  Something else I have done is give myself one or two meals per week where I eat whatever I want.  I keep the portions reasonable, but throw down some bread with butter or hav a piece of lasagna, etc.

Gotta do what works for your body and eating style.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
burghboi
N00b

« Reply #291 on: Dec 18, 2008 at 00:43 »

Good news and Bad news

Guys, the last time I weighed in/posted here was 5 weeks ago. (Last month of semester/finals=busy) I was 177lb.  Today, believe it or not I am a more lean 169lb.  That's the good news.  The news is that I've lost 5 of those 8 pounds in the last 5 days.  I've got a stomach virus and, if we are looking at the bright side of things, I am, at the very least, losing poundage rapidly without working it off.  Unfortunately my diet has consisted of water, gatorade, and mostly fruit.

More good news and more bad news

I started feeling better today so hopefully I can get back into my routine in a few days.  Although, when I feel 100% I am immediately going to indulge myself with dozens of BBQ, Teriyaki, and hot wings...hopefully that day comes on Steelers Sunday.

Note: At this time tomorrow I'll be done with this semester...can't wait to talk some Steelers Football with you guys.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #292 on: Dec 18, 2008 at 08:29 »

Nice job BB.  Nothing like a little forced detoxification.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #293 on: Dec 18, 2008 at 09:21 »

BB, you gotta eat more yogurt and keep the probiotic protection up, man. 

Back to 231# for me; had been to 229# but bounced to 233# or so post-turkey.  Just back to eating lots of soup and salads.  Homemade soups, too: less sodium.  Also trying to use more salad dressings that have good omega 3 to omega 6 ratios, so: olive oil and vinegar is good; any dressings with soybean oil, bad.  Another fave is homemade green goddess (Penzey's spice mix) with Hellman's olive oil mayo and Fage Greek yogurt (full fat).  We've made cauliflower soup, curried pumpkin soup, beef vegetable, turkey rice soup, vegetable bean (using marrow beans), curried zucchini, and I'm finishing some ham and bean tonight.  Curry spices (turmeric especially) are very potent cancer killers and anti-inflammatory agents, and go great in those soups.  The ham and turkey soups, I made my own stocks.  Took the turkey carcass out of the freezer and boiled it with onion, celery, carrot, spices; same with the ham.  You can buy supermarket stuff, but it's nowhere as good or as good for you.  When I make beef based soups, I boil marrow bones. 

Tonight, we're being bad: pizza night.  The plus side is it's not Pizza Hut, or any of the chain stuff that's so crappy for you.  Again, control the ingredients, and you can afford to have some carbs.  Made the dough using sourdough starter instead of yeast: the sourdough then sits in the fridge for a few days to rest, and I take it out in the morning to activate it.  Basically, the wild yeast (mine are from Camaldoli and Ischia in Italy) then pre-digest the carbs, resulting in CO2 and alcohol, which gives the dough its rise and sourness, respectively.  For the carb counters, it also gets rid of some of the carbs.

We're using some of our fresh-frozen items now, that we put up in summer time.  For weeks, I've been eating yogurt with blueberries and blackberries that weren't shipped hundreds of miles from Chile or Mexico, but were picked at the height of freshness 10 miles from our house.  Corn, broccoli, asparagus, etc.  Some things, like lettuce and fresh greens, we still gotta buy.  Well, I'm turning this into the sustainable food thread, but point is, we've been eating fewer foods that sometimes scuttle diets in winter, espcially carb-heavy casseroles.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: 1 ... 29 [30]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: