Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 16, 2014 at 14:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FUCK YOU, ARIANS!!!!!  (Read 4394 times)
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 10:04 »

If you are going to run a QB SWEEP, you had better be doing it with Pat White as the QB and Owen Schmitt blocking. Sure would have been nice to go for the jugular and try to get a first down instead of running for the sake of running time off. A first down there would have run the clock down a good bit. But no. Deja vu all over again. Grrr.  :bang:  

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
jcharding
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 10:06 »

No I know the Jags OL is much better than the STeelers.  And yes, I was also completely unsurprised at either the Jags or Steelers call.  I also know that Ben has more yards running than Gerrard this year.  I am also not defending Arians' call - I also hated it.  But the difference between bad call (ours) and good calls (theirs) is largely because it worked.  

I don't need no stinking avatar!
mzimmerman81
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 10:17 »

The other problem is, alot of Douchebag Arians' play calls in big spots have not worked because they have been horrible plays.

2007 MGS Bracket Challenge Winner
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 10:52 »

No I know the Jags OL is much better than the STeelers.  And yes, I was also completely unsurprised at either the Jags or Steelers call.  I also know that Ben has more yards running than Gerrard this year.  I am also not defending Arians' call - I also hated it.  But the difference between bad call (ours) and good calls (theirs) is largely because it worked.
Bingo.

Let me play devil's advocate.  You give me the call you would have sent in, and be somewhat specific in terms of formation.  I have three formations written down, which could probably yield about 7-10 different plays, depending.  And I'm sure defensive coordinators would anticipate a few more than that, but this is off the top of my head.  

I think Arians was trying to catch the other team off guard.  Let's see how you do with playcalling.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
scballersc

Saw Ben on Halloween (pre-Milledgeville)

« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 10:54 »

You just can't possibly tell me Pittsburgh was trying to pick up a first down with that playcall.  For all intents and purposes, BA/Tomlin coulda just told Ben to knee the damn thing or take a sack, either wouldn't have been much different than a QB sneak on 3rd and 6.  I mean shit we rushed for what 50 yards on the night, so rather than role Ben out so as to give him a run/pass option, BA picks the slowest developing play in the book.  RUN BEN RUN, SUSTAIN A BLOCK LINE BLOCK...A FUCKIN JOKE?

And all for what, to waste a Jags TO?  I mean unless I'm an idiot, the TO meant nothing at that point.  A first down (on a pass) may have ended the game.  A pathetic sweep gives the Jags a short field, 1 TO, and 2:50secs to get into field goal range.  An incomplete pass does the same, except provides the Jags an additional timeout.  And when you have 2:00+, a TO, and 20 yards to get yourself in field goal range, a second timeout is unnecessary.  

Point is, Tomlin also needs to shoulder some of the blame, cuz coming off a timeout, and given the situation, you do not run that play unless the quarterbacks name in Antwaan Randle El, Hines Ward, or even Cedrick Wilson.  
mzimmerman81
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 10:56 »

No I know the Jags OL is much better than the STeelers.  And yes, I was also completely unsurprised at either the Jags or Steelers call.  I also know that Ben has more yards running than Gerrard this year.  I am also not defending Arians' call - I also hated it.  But the difference between bad call (ours) and good calls (theirs) is largely because it worked.
Bingo.

Let me play devil's advocate.  You give me the call you would have sent in, and be somewhat specific in terms of formation.  I have three formations written down, which could probably yield about 7-10 different plays, depending.  And I'm sure defensive coordinators would anticipate a few more than that, but this is off the top of my head.  

I think Arians was trying to catch the other team off guard.  Let's see how you do with playcalling.
Any pass play to Heath Miller or Hines Ward would have had 100% better chance of picking up a first down then that garbage.

At least spread out the defense if you are going to run an idiotic play like that.

2007 MGS Bracket Challenge Winner
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 11:00 »

So your suggestion is what?  Play action?  What formation, who runs what route, what are Ben's checkdowns?

I'm serious.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 11:01 »

No I know the Jags OL is much better than the STeelers.

scballersc

Saw Ben on Halloween (pre-Milledgeville)

« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 11:05 »

No I know the Jags OL is much better than the STeelers.  And yes, I was also completely unsurprised at either the Jags or Steelers call.  I also know that Ben has more yards running than Gerrard this year.  I am also not defending Arians' call - I also hated it.  But the difference between bad call (ours) and good calls (theirs) is largely because it worked.
Bingo.

For shits and giggles.

Max protect.  Single Back, spread/tight left, bunch right. Miller drags across the middle of the field.  Ward (on the inside) and Holmes (on the outside) cross, with Ward running a 7 yard out and Holmes running a quick slant.  Each pattern was working all night/season, and you gotta hope 6-7 blockers gives Ben enough time to attempt a 7-10 yard pass play.  Even a slight sprint drop back right, with the same patterns coulda given Ben a pass/run option.

Another thing, didn't Ben have like the best 3rd down conversion percentage of any QB in the league?

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 11:22 »

One thing.  What works in the game moving down the field does not always work in the RZ: we've had many great drives peter out when we try to go for 6, and wind up settling for 3.

The FIRST thing I thought of was the Steelers running some sort of bunch play right, with a chance of it being run as a play-action.  Wrote down "trips right formations (PAP)."  You selected trips right 189.  Guess what, I knew it was coming.  There are plenty of ways this could play out, as the trips right has various permutations, and as mentioned, the PAP could result in Ben improvising.  But the defense knowing what's coming is half the battle.  The Jags have a good secondary, good DL, good LBs.  You didn't surprise them.

My other formations hastily annotated were pro left y zoom, and the two trips right traps.  Those seem successful, likely, and completely predictable.  On one hand, you want your guys to simply out-execute, but on the other, you'd like to throw in some element of surprise.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: