Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 20, 2014 at 04:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FUCK YOU, ARIANS!!!!!  (Read 4907 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #30 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 16:51 »

No I know the Jags OL is much better than the STeelers.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jcharding
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #31 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 17:21 »

TE blocks and releases quickly and runs a slant towards the right sideline.  Right WR runs a fly.  Left WR runs a slant across the field deeper than the TE.  First read is the TE.  Second read is the left WR.  If neither is open QB run.  

I don't need no stinking avatar!
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #32 on: Jan 07, 2008 at 08:26 »

I think it is Finny vs The Masses.

Just becasue they needed 6 yards doesn't mean they can only run a "RZ" play.  There are a multitude of plays that will pick up 5-10 yards, inside or outside of the redzone.

Technically, every play is a gamble becasue nothing is a sure thing.

Want to call a sweep?  FIne, run it to the right, with a pass option.  Run some bullshit misdirection with Wilson or Ward running it, anything.  

I see the safe play as being a moderately better choice if the LOS was the 45 instead of the 20.

And, Pittsburgh is the only team in the NFL that runsthat safe of a play in that situation.  Any other team makes a legitimate effort at picking up the fist down, pass or run.

This game did turn out as I expected, but I didn't expect them to handily beat the Jags, which they would have, without all the turnovers.  Even with the turnovers and the poor ST's, they still could have easily won that game.

I know, if, but, coulda, shoulda etc. etc.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #33 on: Jan 07, 2008 at 09:26 »

No I know the Jags OL is much better than the STeelers.
« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2008 at 09:27 by Preacherman0 » Logged

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #34 on: Jan 07, 2008 at 09:46 »

I see the safe play as being a moderately better choice if the LOS was the 45 instead of the 20.

Bingo.  Have to consider field position there.  You don't say it to your players, but if I'm coaching, my mindset it that if we don't get a first down in that situation, there's a high probablility we lose the game.  Forget time, timeouts, etc.  Call your best play to pick up 7 yards.  

If you're determined to run, fine.  At least let Ben run a QB draw after selling the pass.  Make the defense react to something.

Who ultimately made that playcall?  Yes, it's up to the HC, esp. on a timeout, but I think Arians talked him into it.  I have no evidence to go on other than that, of the three people involved in that decision, he's the most likely to think that's good strategy.  No way Ben wants to run that, and Tomlin has shown the tendency to gamble - going for it on 4th, the 2 pt conversion, etc.  

As much as Arians has done some good things, he makes bad decisions at the worst possible time.  You want to cut him some slack and give him more time?  OK, but how long to you stick with the kicker that's pretty good in the first 3 quarters, but when the game is on the line, doesn't deliver?  That's how I see Arians.

On the QB draw by Garrard - there was some criticism of LeBeau on here for not being prepared.  I think they were prepared.  The LBs didn't bail out; they were waiting.  It was well blocked and Garrard found the hole.  At least that's what I thought until I saw the replays today.  Then I saw just how blatant the hold on Harrison was.  Harrison read the play and started to come over to make the tackle.  As he's crossing by the Olineman, mysteriously his whole body stops without the lineman getting a shoulder on him.  It was obvious and I don't see how it could have been missed, especially since it was exactly where Garrard was running.  Horrible.  

As far as the season as a whole.  Yes, went about as expected; record was where I figured we'd be.  Playoffs - probably couldn't expect to go much farther than we did. Some players had very good years; others not so much.  But, it's frustrating to lose winnable games, and we had a few of them.  Maybe we had some close wins that the other team felt the same way, but for the most part when we won, we won handily.  

I still see it as disappointing because I felt we had the core in place to make a sustained run at multiple SB appearances.  Maybe we still do; but this run is now 4 years old.  Can we retool the Oline soon enough to get back on top?  Probably, since Ben, FWP, Troy, Santonio, Heat  are still young.  Can we keep the core together and healthy long enough to surge again?  Remains to be seen.

Hopefully we can retool the lines and have a great '08.

Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #35 on: Jan 07, 2008 at 10:05 »

On the QB draw by Garrard - there was some criticism of LeBeau on here for not being prepared. I think they were prepared. The LBs didn't bail out; they were waiting. It was well blocked and Garrard found the hole. At least that's what I thought until I saw the replays today. Then I saw just how blatant the hold on Harrison was. Harrison read the play and started to come over to make the tackle.

I agree with that.  I saw Hampton AND Harrison headed for the QB, and both got tackled.  Troy got tackled.  It was pretty ridiculous.  Why else would Hampton be in unless they were expecting run?  

My only beef was that they should have left Troy back.  He might not have come up to stop the play, but I doubt Garrard would have smoked him the way he did Tyrone Carter.

mrblack66
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #36 on: Jan 07, 2008 at 10:37 »

No I know the Jags OL is much better than the STeelers.  And yes, I was also completely unsurprised at either the Jags or Steelers call.  I also know that Ben has more yards running than Gerrard this year.  I am also not defending Arians' call - I also hated it.  But the difference between bad call (ours) and good calls (theirs) is largely because it worked.
Bingo.

Let me play devil's advocate.  You give me the call you would have sent in, and be somewhat specific in terms of formation.  I have three formations written down, which could probably yield about 7-10 different plays, depending.  And I'm sure defensive coordinators would anticipate a few more than that, but this is off the top of my head.  

I think Arians was trying to catch the other team off guard.  Let's see how you do with playcalling.
you know I hated the that call at the time but after listening to Dan Reeves this morning I feel differently.

he feels that call was a good call for the D that was showing . having a spread offense with empty backfield should have worked if only Essex makes a block when he pulls. He hits nothing but air on that play. He makes one friggin block and Ben gets the first. If the Steelers pass on that play and throw an INC then the Jags dont need to use a T.O.

in theory in should have worked..execution was the problem because of Essex. I guess you could argue that why run a play to that side then but to me the game was not lost on this call to me the #1 ranked D yet again not  able to hold a lead when we needed it the most.

I'm not cryin'. It's just been raining... on my face.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #37 on: Jan 07, 2008 at 10:50 »

to me the #1 ranked D yet again not able to hold a lead when we needed it the most.

I see your point here--the top ranked D should be able to make a play when it is required.  But I just can't put this loss on the defense.  They were put in horrible position all night long and played too well throughout the game to take the blame, in spite of what the Post-Gazette had to say on Sunday.  And I can't exactly fault guys who were getting tackled while they tried to make a tackle.

Tyrone Carter was the only guy I saw who just had an awful game, but that's not exactly surprising.

He makes one friggin block and Ben gets the first.

I still believe that Ben cut it inside too quickly.

mzimmerman81
Old School Member

« Reply #38 on: Jan 07, 2008 at 10:55 »

I believe the shitty 40 yard punt accompanied by the 16 yard return should also be to blame.

2007 MGS Bracket Challenge Winner
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #39 on: Jan 07, 2008 at 11:33 »

I believe the shitty 40 yard punt accompanied by the 16 yard return should also be to blame.

I haven't heard a lot of criticism of Sepulveda this year, but he sure did pull up lame in this game.

Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: