Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 30, 2014 at 08:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FUCK YOU, ARIANS!!!!!  (Read 4198 times)
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #40 on: Jan 07, 2008 at 11:41 »

but to me the game was not lost on this call to me the #1 ranked D yet again not able to hold a lead when we needed it the most.

I can't agree with this one.  The D made their stop, then the offense didn't do their job.  Defense goes back out there in worse position than they left.  Jags had all the time in the world, and only needed about 20 yards.  That's tough for a defense, especially when the opponent is in four down mode.
mrblack66
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #41 on: Jan 07, 2008 at 11:50 »

to me the #1 ranked D yet again not able to hold a lead when we needed it the most.

I see your point here--the top ranked D should be able to make a play when it is required.  But I just can't put this loss on the defense.  They were put in horrible position all night long and played too well throughout the game to take the blame, in spite of what the Post-Gazette had to say on Sunday.  And I can't exactly fault guys who were getting tackled while they tried to make a tackle.

Tyrone Carter was the only guy I saw who just had an awful game, but that's not exactly surprising.

He makes one friggin block and Ben gets the first.

I still believe that Ben cut it inside too quickly.
man that is 3 bad games for Carter. Ryan Clark was a bigger loss to this team than I ever thought.

I do agree that the D was put in bad position all night due to the embarrassing play of the STs but  I guess I love those opportunities for a #1 Defense to shine in the spotlight and on 4th and 2, game on the line.....I can see giving up a first down there, but to give up that freakish run by Garrard blows my mind up. the holding on Harrsion was ridiculous but there other guys on legit blocks to make a tackle way before the end of that run. sick way to end a hard fought game.

Ben did cut a bit quick but was that because Essex was so far outside of the play waggling his arms on nobody that Ben had no choice..I dunno. It could have worked.  

I'm not cryin'. It's just been raining... on my face.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #42 on: Jan 07, 2008 at 13:01 »

Ryan Clark was a bigger loss to this team than I ever thought

I certainly never realized the impact that he and Aaron Smith had on the defense until this year.  Both are very, very underrated players.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
jburghfan
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #43 on: Jan 08, 2008 at 10:42 »

Tunch diagramed this play on the Savrin show with his "Tunchistrator" and it was indeed wide open.....

Based on the defensive look given by the Jags, it was not only a very safe call but also had a high percentage of success if blocked correctly...

Hines had a killer crackback on the DE and Heath blew up the linebacker....All Essex has to do is block the corner and it's a first down and more....Everyone else was caught in the wash of the other great blocks.....

Ben cut back inside because the corner was outside of Essex, but came up and made the tackle without being touched....Even if Fat Ass just gets in his way it's a first down....

That being said, the shitty punt to follow hurt just as much.....
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #44 on: Jan 08, 2008 at 11:24 »

Hines had a killer crackback on the DE and Heath blew up the linebacker....All Essex has to do is block the corner and it's a first down and more....Everyone else was caught in the wash of the other great blocks.....

I'd have to see it again, but as I recall the safety was moving up fast.  I thought there were 2 or 3 defenders in position to make the tackle before Ben would have gotten to the sticks.  But, as you said, maybe the whole thing changes if the corner is blocked.  
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #45 on: Jan 08, 2008 at 11:41 »

Maybe Essex played well enough that he lulled Arians into a false sense of security.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #46 on: Jan 08, 2008 at 14:30 »

No I know the Jags OL is much better than the STeelers.  And yes, I was also completely unsurprised at either the Jags or Steelers call.  I also know that Ben has more yards running than Gerrard this year.  I am also not defending Arians' call - I also hated it.  But the difference between bad call (ours) and good calls (theirs) is largely because it worked.
Bingo.

Let me play devil's advocate.  You give me the call you would have sent in, and be somewhat specific in terms of formation.  I have three formations written down, which could probably yield about 7-10 different plays, depending.  And I'm sure defensive coordinators would anticipate a few more than that, but this is off the top of my head.  

I think Arians was trying to catch the other team off guard.  Let's see how you do with playcalling.
Sorry.  You can't be results oriented.  You can't say that a play is "good" because it works or "bad" if it fails.

If a play has a low probability of success for achieving the desired result (a 1st down), it's a "bad" call.

EOS.

Going off tackle left, off tackle right, QB sweep left, up by one with almost 4 minutes to go deep in your own end is beyond a bad call.  Run on 1st...fine.  Najeh picks up 5, you fucking throw it on 2nd down.  Formation?  Personnel?  Whatever.  Take your pick.  They're expecting a pussyfooted run.  Go PAP to Miller or Ward...money.  Pick up the first and Jacksonville probably doesn't touch it again for the rest of the game.

Again, put it in Ben's hands and let him get it done.

Now, if they were up by two scores?  Different story.  Then, I could live with it.

Bottom line is they had their boot on the Jaguar's throat in this fight, but they didn't just let them get up, they handed 'em a knife in the process.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #47 on: Jan 08, 2008 at 14:48 »

Round and round it goes, folks!  No end in sight!

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #48 on: Jan 08, 2008 at 15:23 »

AJ vs. Finny pay-per-view starts at $37!

Again, put it in Ben's hands and let him get it done.

I agree...and that means in his hands to throw it, not run it.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #49 on: Jan 08, 2008 at 15:37 »

Run on 1st...fine.  Najeh picks up 5, you fucking throw it on 2nd down.  Formation?  Personnel?  Whatever.  Take your pick.  They're expecting a pussyfooted run.  Go PAP to Miller or Ward...money.  Pick up the first and Jacksonville probably doesn't touch it again for the rest of the game.

PAP...I thought the same thing at that point.  Actually, I thought PAP to Holmes, but, same basic idea.

Granted, you run the risk of throwing the INT, which Ben had thrown a bunch. But that kid is streaky as hell, and, frankly, I'd have been playing the hot hand.  

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: