Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 28, 2014 at 20:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My 2008 Steelers Offseason  (Read 2344 times)
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Jan 09, 2008 at 00:16 »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Foot...gue#Free_agency

Unrestricted free agent

A player who has 5 or more years of experience is eligible for unrestricted free agency, whereby his current team has no guaranteed right to match outside offers to that player. This means that players in this category have unlimited rights to negotiate any terms with any team.

So, there ya go.

:rock:

there is that period between the end of the season and the very first day of free agency.  its that period that the steelers make the option of franchising a particular player or not...

if the very first day of FA starts and the steelers dont Franchise faneca...THEN he becomes an UFA.

even if faneca is still franchised...he is still able to negoitiate with other clubs at the steelers discretion...but that comes very pricy in the form of day 1 draft picks depending on the level of franchising.

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #21 on: Jan 09, 2008 at 08:21 »

I've been wrong before.  Just read something in the Trib about how the Steelers have too much respect for Alan to use the tag and will leave him unencumbered to seek his best deal.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
MiamiOHQB
N00b

« Reply #22 on: Jan 09, 2008 at 12:02 »

Question... if the comp pics are the year after, and i think you are right about that, do we get anything for Hartings retiring?
No.
Don't know much about compensatory draft picks but could the Steelers get any for Joey Porter, Rodney Bailey or Sean Morey?
schnoah

« Reply #23 on: Jan 09, 2008 at 12:33 »

no, i believe that they have to be just players leaving for FA. They cant be cut.

Here We Go Steelers!!!!  
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #24 on: Jan 09, 2008 at 12:33 »

Question... if the comp pics are the year after, and i think you are right about that, do we get anything for Hartings retiring?
No.
Don't know much about compensatory draft picks but could the Steelers get any for Joey Porter, Rodney Bailey or Sean Morey?
We cut Porter.  Nothing there.

Did Bailey or Morey get any significant playing time?  More to the point, did either get paid?  If they averaged less than $1M per year, I doubt we get anything more than sweet, sweet memories of their time here with us.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #25 on: Jan 09, 2008 at 12:43 »

The good news, possibly, is that next year we'll see some comps of note.

Figure Faneca will get paid more somewhere else; not sure I want to hazard a guess as to how much, but I'm willing to say we should get a R3.  If recent market trends hold, Starks might get paid similarly, although his on-and-off starting here, coupled with knee injury, might devalue him slightly; fine, if it means we retain him slightly below market value.  Otherwise, I can see us only getting a R4.

Haggans won't, as his agent believes, garner Porter-like FA interest.  But some team will pick him up.  And I suspect he nets us at least a R5.

Also, I am pretty sure that comps are only on UFAs, not RFAs, since RFAs already net you picks depending on level of RFA tender offered the player.  Giving comps for those would be double-dipping.

So those being the UFAs of note (Kreider is a UFA, but not sure he'll get big money), 2009 might net us an extra pick in three middle rounds.  Not bad.

LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #26 on: Jan 09, 2008 at 15:41 »

What is the max on compensatory picks? Two or three?

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #27 on: Jan 09, 2008 at 16:33 »

Prett damned sure teams have gotten three.  Is there a hard max?  I know they only have what, 32 total, to divide between all the teams?  Maybe three's the limit.

JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #28 on: Jan 09, 2008 at 17:36 »

I've been wrong before.  Just read something in the Trib about how the Steelers have too much respect for Alan to use the tag and will leave him unencumbered to seek his best deal.
I hope the steelers at least make him some sort of offer before he goes into the open market...who knows, maybe crap teams such as atlanta or miami make him offers that would make him reconsider signing up with the steelers again.

but looking back at past history such as Burress...I dont see them making him any offers before the FA deadline

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
KeystoneKC
Old School Member

« Reply #29 on: Jan 09, 2008 at 19:10 »

Prett damned sure teams have gotten three.  Is there a hard max?  I know they only have what, 32 total, to divide between all the teams?  Maybe three's the limit.

I don't think there is a hard & fast max.  It all depends on how hard ya' get hit by free agency.  I know that Baltimore & the Pats both got four last year.  Here is the Announcement from last year:

TOTAL 2007 NFL COMPENSATORY DRAFT PICKS

Baltimore -- 4
New England -- 4
Indianapolis -- 3
Atlanta -- 2
Jacksonville -- 2
Oakland -- 2
Pittsburgh -- 2
St. Louis -- 2
San Diego -- 2
San Francisco -- 2
Tampa Bay -- 2
Cincinnati -- 1
Detroit -- 1
Green Bay -- 1
New York Giants -- 1
Seattle -- 1

TOTAL -- 32

(Finman@somewhere in time)
...Also, I am pretty sure that comps are only on UFAs, not RFAs, since RFAs already net you picks depending on level of RFA tender offered the player. Giving comps for those would be double-dipping.

You are correct sir.
« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2008 at 19:20 by KeystoneKC » Logged

Cleveland:  The only NFL city to never play in, or host, a Superbowl.  That bears repeating.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: