Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 23, 2014 at 11:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FUCK YOU OVER-REACTING ASSHOLES  (Read 2956 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Jan 06, 2008 at 11:44 »

How many FU threads can we get rolling?

Unpopular, but true: if this had been Cowher at HC and Whiz at OC, we'd still have lost.  Possibly by more, because they wouldn't have trusted Ben as much to make the comeback.

This team is and was inherently limited by shortcomings of talent that are correctable.  But if everyone wants to fixate on some admittedly poor playcalls and go biz-fucking-nutty about firing Arians and Tomlin and yadda fucking yadda, then go for it.  Won't do a damned thing except keep your nuts warm, but have at it.

Me, I'm looking to more reasonable improvements for 2008, starting with the draft and fixing special teams.  ALL of these FU threads would have been a NON-ISSUE if Jones-Drew hadn't had the KO return all the way to the 1.  We had them down and our defense showed it was ready to stop the run.  We could have easily gone up 14-0 or 14-3 were it not for STs, but hey, let's just bitch and bitch about the OC and HC.  

Fix STs.  Fix the OL.  Bolster the DL.  Team goes 12-4 easy, deeper into the playoffs, a true SB contender... which we were NOT, and we all knew we were NOT.

Since when am I the voice of calmness and reason on this board, LOL?!?

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
The Emperor
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 12:11 »

Fin I just can't see us winning 12 games next year with the schedule we have.  Why we got a harder schedule than the Cheatriots I will never understand.  I am with you on not ripping Tomlin.  when the season started I said we would go 11-5, give or take a win based on how healthy we were.  I also said that if we made it to the playoffs and won one game that it would be a very good year.  Well we fell just short of that, but with all the injuries that is OK.  

With the schedule next year I think we take a step back.  I think we are two years away from being contenders again.  It will take some time for the OL to work itself out.  I am just concerned that we will always have crapy special teams.  

Life is to short to root for a losing team!
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 12:22 »

Incidentally, I agree with your previous post. They are who we thought they were. Most of us here had the Steelers finishing anywhere from 7-9 to 9-7 (I was optimistic @ 11-5, and they almost got there). All in all, not a bad year. Just a bad way to end it.

My criticism of BA's playcalling in the JAX game stems from going away from what worked well on the first drive. Yea, the defense will adjust, but the way the OL had been blocking, and the effectiveness of the JAX rush, should have dictated more quick hits, 3 step and ball is gone type plays. Ben showed he could indeed do that, and I might add, do it well.

Put Ben is the 5-7 step drop, he starts looking for the big play. I am not complaining. I love Ben (no homo). But he does have that Favre characteristic of always looking for the big play, even if it is not there. I take the good with the bad when it comes to Ben. It is that gunslinger attitude that makes him great...and vulnerable at times. Give him that 3 step drop timing type throws, it kinda takes the big play mentality out of Ben's hands and puts it into his playmakers hands. As we all saw in the first drive and in the second half it is effective.

You ask what would we call if we were the OC. IMO, the first two downs were fine. Run the ball get to 3rd down and 4-7 (have JAX burn a timeout or two) and then try for the first down. I think a quick slant to Hines or Heath would have been effective (had been working well most of the night). I think maybe bunching up the WR  and hitting a WR screen to Ward would also had given the Steelers a better chance at a first down. Maybe they don't get the first, but at least they made an effort to do so. That I think appears to be the biggest complaint.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
randylwood

« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 12:29 »

Finny,

I agree with you. Ben carried this team to 10 victories. Add some o-line and better special teams and this team will be markedly improved.

The year under Tomlin's belt will be a tremendous boost for next year. Decisions will come more naturally.

12-4 might be a stretch, but if they won 10 games next year that would be the equivilant of winning 13 this year.

If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler.

- Jack Lambert. HOF induction 1990

DoctorJohnnyFever
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 12:35 »

I'm still quite pleased with the result of this season. Last night was heartbreaking, but we still had a chance no one thought we would have before the season. And we did it shorthanded, with obvious flaws, and a rookie head coach who made some rookie mistakes.

I'm disappointed we lost, yes, but i'm not upset or disappointed in the season. If that makes any sense.

"The MGS board is regarded here as a board with adult rated content. There are virtually no rules. There are no words that are inappropriate and no subject that cannot be discussed. Should you feel the need to get crazy, do it there. You will be welcomed with open arms."

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 12:39 »

What he said.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jclaywell18
Been pimpin, since been pimpin, since been pimpin
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 12:47 »

How many FU threads can we get rolling?

Unpopular, but true: if this had been Cowher at HC and Whiz at OC, we'd still have lost.  Possibly by more, because they wouldn't have trusted Ben as much to make the comeback.

This team is and was inherently limited by shortcomings of talent that are correctable.  But if everyone wants to fixate on some admittedly poor playcalls and go biz-fucking-nutty about firing Arians and Tomlin and yadda fucking yadda, then go for it.  Won't do a damned thing except keep your nuts warm, but have at it.

Me, I'm looking to more reasonable improvements for 2008, starting with the draft and fixing special teams.  ALL of these FU threads would have been a NON-ISSUE if Jones-Drew hadn't had the KO return all the way to the 1.  We had them down and our defense showed it was ready to stop the run.  We could have easily gone up 14-0 or 14-3 were it not for STs, but hey, let's just bitch and bitch about the OC and HC.  

Fix STs.  Fix the OL.  Bolster the DL.  Team goes 12-4 easy, deeper into the playoffs, a true SB contender... which we were NOT, and we all knew we were NOT.

Since when am I the voice of calmness and reason on this board, LOL?!?
Thanks Finny.
You da man on this.

I have to admit, I was prepared to lose tonite.  The first drive gave me hope.

We all know our ST is shite.  Has been from the get-go. Same with the O-line.

And I hate that we lost and I hate how we lost, but I'd much rather friggin' lose to the damn Jags that have to look at Beardy throwing the ball all over us.
And you KNOW that's what would happen next.

Draft the hell outta some O linemen, find the next Devin Hester, keep Ben from gettin' murdered back there, and we're back on top in no time.

I don't know about Arians, I can't say I know much about being an OC.  But if any of you think we should fire Tomlin, you gotta be out your damn mind.

I'm just gonna walk this off....

Gold jacket, green jacket..who gives a shit
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 12:59 »

Sorry, but I have to disagree about Arians.  Perhaps he moves forward with some experience under his belt, who knows?  I doubt we get rid of him, but he has made some absolutely horrendous calls/decisions this year.

As for anyone who thinks we should get rid of Tomlin, forget it.  The guy took a somewhat mediocre product and took them to a division title in his first season.  No way you start talking about firing him--plus, we know it ain't gonna happen anyway, so why even start that talk?

I think a lot of what I've written was just frustration over the loss, which is well-deserved.  We handed them that game, practically gift-wrapped it for them.  And that continues to get frustrating because we've basically done that in most of our losses for two years straight with only a few exceptions.  And we've done it in the same way--turnovers and poor special teams.  It just gets old, dude, and after doing it again last night I had to vent.

As I've stated, I saw nothing on the field that said to me, "Hey, these guys are going to challenge the Patriots."  From either team.  So really it's a moot point to talk about how we could have/should have won.  I saw nothing to indicate that we could catch lightning in a bottle (whatever the hell that means) like in 2005.  That team went in on a roll, this team waddled in with its tail between its legs.  As Finny points out, there are a ton of issues that we had to overcome--but it's frustrating that, in spite of those, it's the same old crap that bit us in the butt once again.  

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 13:15 »

Whiny ass bitches are a given on a forum like this. Every game we lose people want players, coaches, front office personnel fired. We've just gotta get used to it. Not the losing. The whiny ass bitching.

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 13:23 »

24 hour rule:  We whiny asses bitches get to bitch all we want, so quit bitching about the whining.  

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: