Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 01, 2014 at 13:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A few points  (Read 530 times)
randylwood

« on: Jan 06, 2008 at 12:20 »

I know everyone is pissed about the game.

Look the Steelers were not supposed to win. Everyone and their mothers had money on the Jags. After the first half I was excited the Steelers made a game of it.

I am not upset at going for two. Why? Because it worked if not for a bullshit phantom holding call. Yes, they should have kicked it after the penalty, but who can predict that they would get the ball and score a TD again.

Secondly, I feel the 3rd and 5 should have been a pass. The Steelers had the guts to go for it on 4th and goal earlier in the game. You need to give the ball to your best player, Ben, and let him make a play. At that point it makes no difference how many timeouts the Jags had. Trust your best player. NE and Indy would in a heart beat. That is a rookie coaching error.

Thirdly, the 4th and 2 conversion was utter bullshit. Polamalu and Harrison were blatantly held on the edges. The refs have to make that call and did not. Typical NFL refereeing. As inconsistent as the Steelers team this year.

The Steelers managed to get 10 wins out of a terrible offensive line, terrible special teams play and a rookie head coach. I will take that. Next year should be an improvement in those areas.

Also, ask yourself honestly, do you think this team could go to Foxboro and win?
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2008 at 12:25 by randylwood » Logged

If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler.

- Jack Lambert. HOF induction 1990

Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 13:16 »

Good points all around.

I am not upset at going for two. Why? Because it worked if not for a bullshit phantom holding call.

That's just one of those things that you look in hindsight and say, "Yeah, we should have kicked it."  At the time, I didn't question it and had no real problem with it.  Thought the fade to Washington was an awful call on the 2nd try.  BTW, as bad as Mahan is, that holding call vs. him was utterly ridiculous.

Secondly, I feel the 3rd and 5 should have been a pass.

That was a horrible decision.  Ben's red-hot, plenty of short stuff open.  They hadn't stopped Heat all night, so go for it.  Maybe even try the little swing pass to Hines and let him battle for 5 yards.  At the same time, our D was playing pretty awesome and you have to believe they could stop them.  I just believe that the best way to keep the other team from scoring is to keep YOUR offense on the field.

Thirdly, the 4th and 2 conversion was utter bullshit. Polamalu and Harrison were blatantly held on the edges.

Those were pretty clear, but they were nothing compared to the hold on Casey Hampton that play.  He literally got tackled.  Pretty inexcusable considering the previous call on Mahan.

Also, ask yourself honestly, do you think this team could go to Foxboro and win?

No.  And I don't think Jacksonville can either.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
kchopsteel

« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 17:35 »

I truly believe that the only reason the refs called that holding is because they were so surprised that Mahan actually made a block that they had to assume that he was holding.

But seriously to take away the points that were the difference in the game, on such a beautiful play, is ridiculous and I get really tired of the refs having such an influence over the outcome of these games. Unless it is a blatant foul, i.e James Harrison blowing by the left tackle and having his jersey untucked by said left tackle due to a blatant foul, then let them play. Sometimes I just feel that no really big plays can be made because the ref's need their 15 minutes of fame to blow it all up.

:beer:  

I am the Padiddle champion
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: