Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 28, 2014 at 03:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lamar Woodley  (Read 798 times)
DoctorJohnnyFever
No longer a N00b!

« on: Jan 06, 2008 at 17:23 »

Looked really good in limited action this year. (Likely to) will be a starter next season.

Discuss.

"The MGS board is regarded here as a board with adult rated content. There are virtually no rules. There are no words that are inappropriate and no subject that cannot be discussed. Should you feel the need to get crazy, do it there. You will be welcomed with open arms."

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 17:26 »

He's a helluva pass rusher.  I don't know why he didn't supplant Haggans earlier in the season.  Maybe he still needs work in certain situations?  But if you tell him to go get the QB, he gets there.  Great pick in rd 2 IMO.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
bucc-o-pain
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 17:31 »

He was cetainly a breathe of fresh air from watching Haggans ineptness all season.

It has been a while since we have had a guy who could bull right through o-lineman every now and then. Joey and Clark (when they actually got sacks) both seemed to have to get an edge in order to get to the QB.

I like Woodley, not sure on Timmons yet. Although I do like how Timmons hustles on ST. At least he does not have Alonzo-disease.
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2008 at 17:32 by bucc-o-pain » Logged

Tanqueray and Tab and keep 'em comin'.  - Big Ern
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 17:32 »

I've mentioned elsewhere but Woodley looks to be the bright spot for the defense at season's end.  

It wasn't just last night.  He's played well this year, albeit it he needs to improve in coverage.  

But as a rusher, he's got it.  

And he brings a uberrusher that we haven't had since Porter's early years, IMO.  

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 18:20 »

seems like Woodley will work out much better as a 4-3 end (his position in college, no?) than a 3-4 LB, especially with the coverage problems.  so if Tomlin does opt to go with the 4-3 as soon as next year (which i would honestly prefer, the 3-4 zone blitz is flawed and can easily be exposed as proven towards the end of the year) it seems we are really only one pass rushing DE away from having the right personnel for the front seven (would Silverback work as a DE?  seems like his skills maybe wouldnt work as a LB in a 4-3) with Hampton and Smith in the middle and Woodley on one end and Timmons, Farrior and Foote at LB.  

i expect to see a sort of hybrid defense next year, and think the possiblities of moving guys around and giving opposing offenses different fronts could end up being really awesome.
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2008 at 18:21 by give'emthaboot » Logged

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2008 at 09:09 »

He's a helluva pass rusher. I don't know why he didn't supplant Haggans earlier in the season. Maybe he still needs work in certain situations?

I don't remember Kevin Greene being much of a coverage guy.  They let him do what he did best, and that's rush the passer.  Let Woodley do the same, because the best pass defense is putting the QB on his can.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2008 at 11:40 »

I think Woodley could be a 4-3 DE or a 3-4 OLB, or both.  If we run both fronts, no reason for him to come off the field.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2008 at 18:00 »

Whatever they run, I want that kid on the field for every passing down.  

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2008 at 22:50 »

My jersey pick for my Christmas present this year is looking pretty good. ;)

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: