Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 31, 2014 at 08:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Schedule next year???  (Read 937 times)
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« on: Jan 07, 2008 at 10:43 »

We always play the game of "Look at the schedule, name wins/losses for this season."  As much fun as it might be, it's ridiculous to think that we can actually do it.  Would anyone really have picked us to manhandle Seattle, the Bengals (twice), and the Ravens; but lose to the Jets and Arizona?

In talking about next year, there is a lot of talk about how tough the schedule is, and it certainly looks brutal.  Especially if Cleveland continues to improve (I don't think they'll be better than this year); and Cincy and Balty get better (big "ifs").

As unfairly brutal as it seems now, I believe that you find out how good you are by playing the best.  And with 8 of 12 playoff teams coming up--including two against a team that SHOULD have been (Cle)--we'll certainly get the chance to see how we measure up.

But the fact is we really don't know.  With the exception of NE, Indy and Jax, I don't think that we're sure about ANY of the teams we're playing next year.

I'm not sold on how good Dallas really is.  Texans could be on the way up, but they could regress.  SD--who knows what Norv might do to that team?  Ten, Wash, NYG--again, I'm not convinced.  So, on paper now, it looks like the toughest schedule of all-time.  But by Nov. or Dec. of next year, who knows what it might look like?  

As many flaws as we had this year and as weak as our schedule looked by the end, we won the division and made the playoffs and probably SHOULD have been going to the divisional round with a rookie HC/staff and a terrible Oline.  In fact, I think that you could still argue that we were the 4th or 5th best team in the AFC, which is no small accomplishment.  I believe that we WILL improve next year, and Tomlin will be much wiser and more saavy as a coach.  

Plus, in spite of our other problems, we still have THE FRANCHISE.  Ben is as important as any player we've had at the position, and just as good IMO.  With him at the helm, I believe we have a shot in any game, in spite of the mistakes he made Sat. night.  Even with three picks, he had us in a position to win the game.  I'll put my money on him to lead us back to the playoffs, at LEAST, next season.  If we can win with Bubby Brister, Neil ODonnell, Mike Tomczak, Kordell Stewart, and Tommy Maddox, I'll put my money on Ben any day of the week.
« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2008 at 10:46 by Preacherman0 » Logged

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
randylwood

« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2008 at 12:58 »

Preach, another good post.

The Browns went from pretender to contender by adding 2 offensive lineman. If the Steelers shore up the offensive line and special teams they will be very good. Tomlin will have another year of experience which is a big boone for the team. Things will come more easily to him next season.

Rock Cartwright of the Redskins is a free agent and a helluva return man. I would look into signing him.

If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler.

- Jack Lambert. HOF induction 1990

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2008 at 13:20 »

That is very true Preach, how some teams change drastically from one year to the next.  Hopefully anyway, becasue this 10-6 Steeler team with the cream puff schedule would be 4-12 against next years teams, based on they way they performed this year.  Hopefully that makes sense.

I look forward to a few of those teams falling apart next year, so we can go 8-8.  That still might win the division.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2008 at 13:42 »

'Preciate it, Randy.  I had to follow up after my mindless, infuriated, Miller Lite-induced rantings from Sat. night.

I look forward to a few of those teams falling apart next year, so we can go 8-8. That still might win the division.

Yeah, I get your point.  But I just have to believe that we're going to be better than that.  If there is a positive from losing the playoff game, it's that I saw a bitterness and frustration in the leaders of this team that will hopefully drive them in the offseason.  Even Hines wasn't smiling by the 4th quarter.  Surely, Tomlin isn't going to settle for letting this team sit still and accept defeat.

We could be next year's version of the Jets.  But I think we're closer to being next year's version of the Cowboys or Packers.
« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2008 at 15:29 by Preacherman0 » Logged

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2008 at 15:14 »

Rock Cartwright of the Redskins is a free agent and a helluva return man. I would look into signing him.
He was great on KR, but how much PR action has he seen?  Just askin', I was also impressed with his kick returns this year.  

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2008 at 15:28 »

I say we sign him just for the name.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2008 at 15:32 »

'Preciate it, Randy.  I had to follow up after my mindless, infuriated, Miller Lite-induced rantings from Sat. night.

See, that's the difference between you and me, Preach.  Saturday night involved Beam, only half a bottle, and when that was gone (halftime), out came some wine, and when the wine was gone, then it was time for some beer.  And that's why I don't give a shit if Arians sucks.  I haven't felt my toes in two days.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
steelers4lyfe333

« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2008 at 15:36 »

Do you see Rocky as a huge upgrade over the potential of what Bloom could be????...I remember in college Bloom was a better PR..Idk about his KR skills..
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2008 at 09:03 »

Do you see Rocky as a huge upgrade over the potential of what Bloom could be????...I remember in college Bloom was a better PR..Idk about his KR skills..

I think that either guy will help us on returns and the overall special teams play.  Cartwright was in on almost all Redskins STs Sat.

'Preciate it, Randy. I had to follow up after my mindless, infuriated, Miller Lite-induced rantings from Sat. night.

See, that's the difference between you and me, Preach. Saturday night involved Beam, only half a bottle, and when that was gone (halftime), out came some wine, and when the wine was gone, then it was time for some beer. And that's why I don't give a shit if Arians sucks. I haven't felt my toes in two days.

I'm desperately trying to lose some weight, so I had to lay off the SoCo/Coke.  Or the SoCo Egg Nog that I was hitting during the holidays.  But I'll tell ya, after no alchohol for two weeks, a couple of Lites will bother you more than you expect!
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2008 at 13:38 by Preacherman0 » Logged

jburghfan
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2008 at 10:50 »

Or the SoCo Egg Nog that I was hitting during the holidays. But I'll tell ya, after no alchohol for two weeks, a couple of Lites will bother you more than you expect!

What kinda preacher are you anyway?.....I'm joining your church......
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: