Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 02, 2014 at 23:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Timmons  (Read 623 times)
blurjose
N00b

« on: Jan 07, 2008 at 18:28 »

Just for the sake of speculation, let's assume the Steelers stay with the 3-4 and that Timmons has a solid training camp.  Let's also assume that Woodley continues to develop.

I see Woodley over Haggans. I don't see Timmons over Harrison. So does he play ILB?

I think Farrior is due to make nearly $5m next season, so he could be a cap casualty at his age.

Thoughts?  
steelers4lyfe333

« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2008 at 18:37 »

Although Farrior is a big cap hit i just cant see him on this team..whether he takes a cut or he gets restructured..

A for Timmons Id agree with what some other said..Id like 2 see the trio of Farrior/Foote /Timmons mix it up and keep fresh..along with the Harrison/Woodley/Haggans trio..when Haggans resigns.. Hed take league minimum to stay a Steeler
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2008 at 18:37 »

It depends a lot on what base D we're running.  My hope is that we run a hybrid D, switching between the 3-4 and 4-3 depending on situation.  Woodley looks like he can play 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB; Timmons looks like a proto ILB, but I could see some situations where he might run the 3-4 OLB slot now occupied by Harrison.  Mostly I like Timmons as a faster ILB than Foote or Farrior: if his instincts are good, I can see us pushing Potsy a la Porter, or possibly even moving Foote to a backup role.  

The nice thing, theoretically, about the 07 picks, is that it gives us choices and flexibility.  The bad thing about the 07 picks is that we may not be as schematically flexible as we need to be to take advantage.  I hate to make it all about cap, but Farrior seemed worn down, and that's yet another bad nexus of age/cap/productivity.  Foote had a disappointing year IMO as well, so I think some renes are in order.  Doubtful we get an trade value for either ILB incumbent, but I'd dangle it.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
schnoah

« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2008 at 18:41 »

hey man, this is what i think i really think that what happens to the Defense is DIRECTLY EFFECTED by what what happens to the Offense. If we go out and get a lineman in FA then we could really be ok...

I see Timmons moving inside and learning the ILB position to replace Farrior. James is starting to slow down and is getting burnt in coverage. Timmons is a great physical specimen, just watch him on ST to see that, especially almost running down MJD on that kickoff.

Farrior is owed $4,498,750 against the Cap. So he could be a cut.

Here We Go Steelers!!!!  
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2008 at 09:43 »

Mostly I like Timmons as a faster ILB than Foote or Farrior: if his instincts are good, I can see us pushing Potsy a la Porter, or possibly even moving Foote to a backup role.  

...I hate to make it all about cap, but Farrior seemed worn down, and that's yet another bad nexus of age/cap/productivity.
I agree.  Farrior clearly hit a wall in the second half of the season.

He also had a monster first half of the year, and is the main signal caller for the defense. I think it's too easy to say he's gone;  I think that the team should be willing to bring him back if he will restructure. I doubt anyone else will pay him what he is slated to earn from us, so, I think it's likely in lieu of being cut that Farrior takes a new deal.   I think ALL of the current PS defenders have probably noted that Peazy might be a little richer, but not necessarily happier.

If he stays, I envision Farrior rotating in and out with Timmons, with perhaps Timmons also playing alongside him to spell Foote.  

In fact, it's quite possible that BOTH Farrior and Haggans cut deals to stay, and become veteran contributors, if not out-and-out starters, much like NE has done with their ancient LB corps. I think that Farrior in particular has some gas left in the tank...it's just not enough to go a full 16+ games a year at his past level. Haggans is probably just worth having in case Woodley goes down.

On the other hand, Farrior and/or Haggans could also be younger replacements for the ancient NE LB group, if NE somehow has any money left after <sigh> ponying up to keep Randy Moss.  That would kinda suck.  

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2008 at 09:47 »

Oh, and another thing...

What is the possibility of using Timmons -- against mainly running teams that have less than imposing passing offenses -- in sort of a quasi-Troy role?  And I bet he is plenty fast enough to hang with most TE's.

In other words, moving him up and around from the strong safety spot, and letting Troy drop back a little, playing centerfield like Hope use to?

Be an interesting changeup...if Timmons could handle it, of course.  

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
jburghfan
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2008 at 11:00 »

I see us restructuring Farrior's deal...He's still great against the run and can rush the passer from inside...The problem is, he's not the defensive player of the year anymore...That's why I see Timmons replacing Foote...Foote was an OK linebacker when playing beside a great linebacker....Now he's less than average...

Haggans only stays if he takes a cut...he's quickly reaching the downside of his Cacalacki curve.....He carved out a decent career by working very hard, but it looks to be over....

Nxt years starters...Harrison, Farrior, Timmons, Woodley.....Faster... More athletic....All can get to the QB....And Farrior remains as the run stopper/grizzled vetern....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: