Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 19, 2014 at 17:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jax scoring drive..  (Read 687 times)
Kwalla
No longer a N00b!

« on: Jan 07, 2008 at 19:03 »

What happened on Jax's last scoring drive came up at work today and it was suggested the Steelers simply should have let Garrard score the TD.  

Total hindsight, but thoughts on this?  

Assuming they went for 2 and made, it would have been 36 to 29 with about 1:30 left on the clock and we'd have had all three TOs.  So yes, we'd have needed a TD to tie, but plenty of time to do it...

BleedGreen710
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2008 at 20:01 »

Obviously, at that point it would be better to get the ball back down by a score, rather than to give them a shot at a game winner from 25 yards out after allowing them to run the clock out.  But I would imagine it would be awfully difficult to just give him that touchdown.  

A few weeks ago, Brian Westbrook had a touchdown to put the eagles up by TWO scores and he had the smarts to get down, and kill the clock.  I don't know Garrard very well, but I would believe that if we were intentionally letting him run into the end zone, he would slide and go down.  No way he struts his way into the endzone.

Great idea in theory though.  At least I think...  

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 3rd round draft pick.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2008 at 20:47 »

It was 4th and 2.  They needed a stop there making it game over; giving up a TD with no resistance is overthinking the situation.

Was Tomlin gonna tell the guys, "OK, we need a stop, but if we don't get it then let 'em score."  Huh?

Silly water-cooler talk.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
jasonic

« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2008 at 21:30 »

didn't Green Bay do that with Denver in the Super Bowl and then ended up winning?  i'm probably wrong but i do remember Terrell Davis just strutting in, being let in by whatever team they were playing so they could get the ball back.  I just can't remember exactly what team and if they won or lost.  So, basically I'm an idiot.  

once again, i have to apologize to everyone here.  I personally lost the game for the Steelers again by going to the game in person the same way I did for the Cards and the Jets this year.  Only this time the drive home had no Pensod ipod magic and it was 6 hours long....

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
BleedGreen710

« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2008 at 21:39 »

So, basically I'm an idiot.  

I don't think your an idiot buddy.  

I don't remember the game you are actually talking about, but I don't doubt that it has happened before.  I was totally shocked when Westbrook didn't go into the endzone in the Eagles game.  That was a total heads up play.  Totally selfless too.

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 3rd round draft pick.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2008 at 21:48 »

didn't Green Bay do that with Denver in the Super Bowl and then ended up winning?  i'm probably wrong but i do remember Terrell Davis just strutting in, being let in by whatever team they were playing so they could get the ball back.  I just can't remember exactly what team and if they won or lost.  So, basically I'm an idiot. 

once again, i have to apologize to everyone here.  I personally lost the game for the Steelers again by going to the game in person the same way I did for the Cards and the Jets this year.  Only this time the drive home had no Pensod ipod magic and it was 6 hours long....
That did happen. It was the second of the GB SBs in a row and the first win for Denver.  Very late in the game and Denver had the ball inside the 5.  GB let 'em score to go ahead as you described.  But the Broncos hung on and won that one.

It's a sorry decision to have to make.  I don't remember the score at the time, though.  Would a Denver FG win it?  If so, then they probably did the right thing.  But if the Broncos needed a TD then it was a cunt like move.  You gotta suck it up, stop 'em and win.

In no way is this similar to the Steelers/Jags situation.  The Jags were 4th and 2 at their 40 some odd.  You gotta stop that.

« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2008 at 21:50 by jonzr » Logged

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
BleedGreen710

« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2008 at 22:07 »

didn't Green Bay do that with Denver in the Super Bowl and then ended up winning?

Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2008 at 09:27 »

I think the only way that's an option is if they allow the Jags to score on the first play from the 10.  No one has the time to think about that during a play.  Even on the Westbrook play, Runyon talked to him about it before the snap.  GB planned it during a time out.  Perhaps we should have done the same thing after the Garrard run, left ourselves about 1:20, but either way chances are that we end the game in a loss.

Per Jonzr, the thing to do is tackle Garrard...which is made much easier if you have a safety back who can actually tackle.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2008 at 09:52 »

While the idea sounds good in hindsight, it was Heinz Field and no FG is automatic. Ask Romo about "automatic" kicks in the playoffs. Maybe there is a bad snap, maybe it gets blocked, maybe the kicker straight up misses ( a la TEN's short playoff kick, minus the roughing the kicker penalty). Never ever willingly allow points. There was too much that could have happened, and frankly I'm a little surprised JAX didn't kick on 3rd down....Whatever, the kick was good and game over. Allowing a 4th and 2 30 yard run wasn't very helpful either.
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2008 at 10:17 »

I'm with SteelerFaninCo....you hafta force the longest kick you can. That field gets in every kicker's head, well, except maybe Reed's.

And I'm not sure he isn't fucking insane already.

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: