Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 23, 2014 at 01:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My wife's solution for the offensive coordinator  (Read 1617 times)
Puma170
Bleedin' Black and Gold behind enemy lines

« on: Jan 08, 2008 at 08:18 »

My wife (who is very knowledgeable about all football - not just Steelers football) has been spinning an interesting theory for the past few weeks and I wanted to post it to see what some other people thought. She thinks that in the next couple of years the Steelers need to pick up a quality back-up QB and promote Charlie Batch to Offensive Coordinator. She thinks Batch will make an effective OC because not only was he once a Pro-Bowl QB, but he also has years of experience on the sideline watching other team's defenses and seeing how the offensive plays work against those defenses. Ben has a good relationship with him and they already look to each other for advice. Batch is kind of a second QB coach at the moment. You always see him and Ben on the sidelines after an offensive series looking at photos and talking about what happened on busted plays, what the defense was doing ,etc. It just doesn't seem like Arians is the answer for them as an OC.

Personally, I could see him start off as a QB coach (assuming he wants to get into coaching) and if he does well with it, then maybe.  I think she is willing to do it right now.  I keep saying I'm not sure but she thinks this is a great idea.  I mentioned how knowledgable most of you guys and gals are and she wanted to see what you would think about it...

So, what do you think?  

PUMA
TwistedLemon

« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2008 at 08:43 »

Interesting idea.

Might be something worth consideration.  Questions are (in no specific order, and definately not the only ones):
1.  Would Tomlin be interested?
2.  Would the Rooney Family?
3.  Would Batch?

He seems to have the rapport with the team...not just Ben.
He also seems knowledgable at breaking down plays (both offensively for us as well as other teams D's)

I call it "an idea".  There are definately worse options

"My reality check bounced"
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2008 at 09:00 »

Not a bad idea.  Just to play devil's advocate, the player to coach transition sometimes seems natural, but I don't know that it always is.  I always thought Rod Woodson should get into coaching, but the fact that he hasn't in all these years tells me he hasn't gotten any offers.  Also, the backup QB is always conferring with the starter; Maddox used to be that guy, and frankly, I wouldn't want Maddox as an OC.  

I like Batch, I think he's a solid guy, a smart guy, but an OC needs more than a QB's perspective.   It's the difference between being the chess piece and being Gary Kasparov.  Not to say, again, that Batch couldn't do that, but I think maybe he'd be better suited to coaching first as an assistant and seeing how well that goes, before moving to something as important as OC.

Nice thinking outside the box, though.

(When Hoak retired I momentarily wondered if Bettis would be a good RBs coach; for whatever reason, he doesn't strike me as the coaching type.)

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2008 at 09:14 »

That's weird because I was thinking about posting something along the same lines.  Not necessarily that he be OC, but become a QB coach or at least stay in the Steelers' organization.  He seems to be very well-liked, but also well-RESPECTED, in the locker room, the organization, and the city.  He's a Pittsburgh guy and it seems that he'd be a natural fit to stay with the Steelers on some level.

I see Batch as more of a candidate than someone like Bettis.  In hindsight, Jerome was a little too laid-back and probably was too much of a "buddy" to be a head guy.  Charlie B seems to have the head for the game that might make him a good coach.  Who knows, but I really like the guy and hope he'll be around Stiller football for a long time.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2008 at 10:13 »

always thought Rod Woodson should get into coaching, but the fact that he hasn't in all these years tells me he hasn't gotten any offers.  Also, the backup QB is always conferring with the starter; Maddox used to be that guy, and frankly, I wouldn't want Maddox as an OC.  

I like Batch, I think he's a solid guy, a smart guy, but an OC needs more than a QB's perspective.   It's the difference between being the chess piece and being Gary Kasparov.  Not to say, again, that Batch couldn't do that, but I think maybe he'd be better suited to coaching first as an assistant and seeing how well that goes, before moving to something as important as OC.

Regarding Woodson:

I'd thought the same thing, going back toward the end of his stint here. He still talks about how he learned how to "read offenses" from Rod Rust, who was a pretty brilliant D-coordinator from the read-and-react/bend-but-don't-break school.

I think Rod (Woodson) probably doesn't have the patience to be a coach, though. Also, remember, it's a major grind to be an assistant.  They just have to love it in a single-minded way.  Plus, if you can get a studio gig...that's pretty good money for doing basically jack shit, versus busting your ass for peanuts.

And very few "great" players enjoy or excel at coaching; I think part of it is the frustration that the players can't do what they could.  

As far as Batch goes:

The best player-to-coach types seem to me to be smart players that understood the game, but didn't necessarily have all of the physical tools, or didn't have a fair chance.  

The jury is still out, but, think of Gary Kubiak -- spent all that time backing up John Elway, helping him on the sidelines break it all down, then eventually becoming a QB coach, Off. Coord, and then head coach.

Batch might fall into that category -- I still think that he could've started and been better than Harrington in Detroit, if only he wasn't so injury prone.  

Still, I'm betting that Batch will try to find  a job as a starter, if his deal isn't extended. Dude has shown that he can play, and, talent is pretty thin at QB. Otherwise, would Vinny Testaverde still be getting calls?  

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2008 at 13:22 »

I don't see why not.  Jason Garrett, OC in Dallas, was their backup QB for years.  Seems like he did a stint as QB coach in Miami before coming to Dallas.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2008 at 13:51 »

Just based on your wife's ability to think outside the box a little, I say give her a shot at it.  She might not be as good as Batch, but at least she's three or four steps ahead of Arians.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Puma170

« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2008 at 09:00 »

I appreciate your guys thoughts (and my wife does too.)  I told her to stop by and check out the responses.  We might even get another female member around here...

PUMA
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2008 at 09:09 »

Batch was never a Pro Bowl QB, ffs.

Who's to say he'd be any better than Arians or some other "established" coordinator? I appreciate the outside the box conceptual thinking but I see no reason to pursue a drastic switch. Definitely not for something like that.

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
Puma170

« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2008 at 09:13 »

Batch was never a Pro Bowl QB, ffs.

Who's to say he'd be any better than Arians or some other "established" coordinator? I appreciate the outside the box conceptual thinking but I see no reason to pursue a drastic switch. Definitely not for something like that.
I am sorry.  I gave my wife that little bit of misinformation.  I thought that he had been named to the Pro-Bowl as a replacement but I can't find any evidence to back it up (so, therefore it isn't true.)

Sorry about that all,
PUMA
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: