Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 18, 2014 at 01:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coaches Dropped the Ball  (Read 1236 times)
jclaywell18
Been pimpin, since been pimpin, since been pimpin
No longer a N00b!

« on: Jan 09, 2008 at 15:59 »

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburgh...s/s_546483.html

I hope this hasn't already been posted but I thought that the article pretty much sums up how badly the playcalling in this game was. Hopefully our coaches learn from the experience and improve next year.  

I'm just gonna walk this off....

Gold jacket, green jacket..who gives a shit
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2008 at 20:38 »

3. Despite the threat of return man Maurice Jones-Drew, special teams demon James Harrison will not be on the kickoff coverage unit after the Steelers go up, 7-0.

I did not realize that Harrison was not out there on that play.  Is that accurate?  I KNOW he was out there on other special teams plays.  

IMO, James Harrison should never leave the field.  Not even at halftime.  Seriously, I'd find a way to work that beast into the offense.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
jasonic
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2008 at 12:24 »

yes, yes and yes.  this article is right on the money.  i like the humor too about the world's longest 2 point try.  you have to laugh sometimes....

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2008 at 12:29 »

. The Steelers will revert to a see-how-tough-we-are mentality and attempt 13 first-down runs, even after opening the game with six consecutive pass calls on a touchdown drive, and even though their center, Sean Mahan, will be ground into sawdust by the middle of the second quarter.

They will net 24 yards on those 13 runs.

And I think about 11 of those yards were on the one carry in the first drive, so after that it was 12 carries for roughly 13 yards.

And no, this is not an "abandon the run, pass every down" hindsight call.  The article conveniently doesn't mention how often we passed on first down and the success of those plays.  I imagine we had more than our share of incompletions/sacks/INTs on first down.  The numbers would also be somewhat skewed by the fact that we were behind most of the game.

What it does indicate to me, however, is a confirmation of my biggest concern with the playcalling - not just one late game drive or whether or not to go for two.  It was the fact that we had a gameplan that apparently worked quite well for us on the first drive - and all of the 2005 playoffs for that matter - and we mothballed it.  If we had continued to pass first, using it to set up the run, our running game would have been much more effective.  It was apparent on that day, against that team, that the run would not set up the pass; however, we continued to try it.  

I know, I know, Cowheresque.  We've complained about it for years.  But at least under Cowher, once we decided to change the plan on those few rare occasions, we didn't change back in mid-game; at least not until the victory was well in hand.

Why did we stop what was working?  
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2008 at 12:34 »

"I should have let him throw it again, probably, instead of running it," Arians said.

Well, I'll give the guy props for nutting up and saying that.  He could've easily gone with some vanilla junk like, "I thought it was the right call then and I still do.  I wouldn't have changed a thing."

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2008 at 12:51 »

I missed that quote, AJ.  Where'd you see that?
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2008 at 14:22 »

Sorry, my bad.  It wasn't in this article.  Should've included the link.

Here ya go.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
mrblack66

« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2008 at 14:23 »

he didnt say that in this article

I'm not cryin'. It's just been raining... on my face.
mrblack66

« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2008 at 14:37 »

I missed that quote, AJ.  Where'd you see that?

Sorry, my bad.  It wasn't in this article.  Should've included the link.

Here ya go.

he did nut up for sure
I still dont think the call was that bad, even Ben said it was a good call. If it worked he would have been called a genius. Hopefully Arians and Tomlin will take this year and learn from it. I think they will.

mzimmerman81
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2008 at 15:43 »

It is was and always will be a terrible call....

We were averaging about two yards per run
We ran the play to the side of the field with our third string tackle
Our passing has been clicking on all cylinders the whole half

There is no proving otherwise that this was a good play call.

2007 MGS Bracket Challenge Winner
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2008 at 15:48 »

In a situation like that, it's Ben responsibility to put his hands to his ears and pull the old "I can't hear the play" fake-a-roo. Then just draw something up.

:sandlot:
mrblack66

« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2008 at 15:53 »

sure its easy to prove its a bad call when it doesnt work

mzimmerman81
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2008 at 15:54 »

sure its easy to prove its a bad call when it doesnt work
The fact that it had little chance of working and considering all the other factors involved, there were many more high percentage plays.  It was a bad call, it had a limited chance of success as was proven.

2007 MGS Bracket Challenge Winner
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2008 at 17:57 »

How did Arians "nut up"? He did exactly the opposite in making the chickenshit and his admission that it was 'probably' a dumb idea does little to redeem himself in my opinion.

It was a turning point of sorts. Definitely was a big chance to step up big, take the bull by the horns, make good friends with the clock, pin the tail on the donkey, put the first nails in the coffin. And what does Bring Me Down Bruce call for? That shit.

Obviously he's gonna be grilled about the call afterwards. What was he gonna say? "Well we thought long and hard, wanted to maximize all of our weapons, and work to create mismatches. So we ran a boot to the short side of the field. Yeah, we didn't run for anything of note the entire 57 minutes of play therebefore, but we were commited to the element of surprise. We just didn't execute." He couldn't have said that or he'd be sent to an asylum.

Everyone knows it was a BS play call. I appreciate him saying it but I dont see how anyone can think it took some great measure of courage.

Hell our record-setting QB risks his life every game behind the OL, works his ass off to compensate for his mistakes and gives us the lead(!) only to have the ball taken out of his hands on the most crucial down and all he does is build-up his teammates with credit and puts all the blame on himself. He's the one who's nuttin' up. Ben RULZ

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2008 at 18:00 »

The Steelers will revert to a see-how-tough-we-are mentality and attempt 13 first-down runs, even after opening the game with six consecutive pass calls on a touchdown drive, and even though their center, Sean Mahan, will be ground into sawdust by the middle of the second quarter.

They will net 24 yards on those 13 runs.

And I think about 11 of those yards were on the one carry in the first drive, so after that it was 12 carries for roughly 13 yards.

I thought Najeh was supposed to be the big back we needed to come through and leave us in second and manageable? Blessing in disguise, etc, etc. Anyone who said or thought that should give their terrible towel to a friend and have them whap you in the balls with it. FWP > that Najeh/Russell crap effort.

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2008 at 21:51 »

I thought Najeh was supposed to be the big back we needed to come through and leave us in second and manageable? Blessing in disguise, etc, etc. Anyone who said or thought that should give their terrible towel to a friend and have them whap you in the balls with it. FWP > that Najeh/Russell crap effort.
Problem is, they left their terrible towels over their seats in disgust at the end of the first half.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: