Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 21, 2014 at 10:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eddie B. Shuffles the Line  (Read 974 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Jan 10, 2008 at 12:22 »

Not a bad overview of the team, but a few questions on the proposed line.  If Simmons could play center, why didn't he win that job from Mahan in camp?  Is Smith really going to be OK?  Because I've seen a player in decline these past few years.  And will we really have the ducats to retain Max?  That'd be great, and I love the idea of Max at RT and Colon at RG.  

But I think you have Kemo at LG, Mahan as a backup, draft a center to compete with Stapleton, and draft a franchise LT.

Is Eddie too complacent?

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2008 at 12:49 »

I'm still not convinced that Max wouldn't make a better LT than RT.  Seemed to do better there when he was filling in.  Of course, that may not extrapolate to a full season.

I'm not sure we can safely pin Ben's health on Marvell's return to form or Max finding a home at LT.  If we can find a good FA, then we should try it.

However, IIRC from the list posted a while back, there aren't a lot of big names available at that position this year.

So it may be less about  
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2008 at 12:54 »

Is Eddie too complacent?
I think he's too glowing and makes too many assumptions about the front five.

Simmons to center?  Uh, OK.  Whatever.  We've heard that for about a year from everybody in the press, but I can't recall a single reference from people that matter that he's a candidate for that job.

Yeah, signing Max would definitely stem the bleeding of losing Fanny, but remember how good Simmons looked before they extended him?  Would they still make that move after seeing him perform this year?  Not sure about that.  Maybe.

Smith, injuries aside, has been inconsistent and in a mild decline for the last couple.  I don't see things getting better with age and frankly, whenever you talk about neck/back injuries that require surgery, you never know.

Really, if you took his writeup of that group at face value, you wouldn't think that OL is that big a priority in the draft, but clearly it is.

At the moment, I think Max should be the team's biggest priority (next to Ben) this offseason, but so much depends on his price tag.  Hopefully, he doesn't see himself as overvalued.  

If we assume Starks comes back, I think they still need to restructure Smith if he's healthy; too much of a cap hit there.  I guess they can give Simmons a whirl at OC, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that.  I agree that they must draft their OC of the future in one of the first three rounds this year.  After that, find two serviceable OGs from the four (if you count Simmons) that are on the roster.  Between Simmons, Mahan, Colon and Kemo, they'll have to make it work unless they stumble on some diamond in the 5th or 7th round.

Generally speaking, it's an OK article though.  Focus on the positive; fix the shit that's broke; build from that and hopefully improve (as you had also said).  I still think it's overly optimistic, but you've gotta start somewhere, I guess.
« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2008 at 12:56 by aj_law » Logged

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
KeystoneKC
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2008 at 13:00 »

However, IIRC from the list posted a while back, there aren't a lot of big names available at that position this year.

FA O-Linemen per KFFL:

Pos Player Name FA Status Previous Team Current Team
OT Stacy Andrews UFA Cincinnati Bengals  
OG Martin Bibla UFA Denver Broncos  
OT Wesley Britt RFA New England Patriots  
OG Elton Brown RFA Arizona Cardinals  
OG Jason Brown RFA Baltimore Ravens  
OG Ruben Brown UFA Chicago Bears  
OL Jason Capizzi Signed Pittsburgh Steelers Pittsburgh Steelers
OG Tyson Clabo UFA Atlanta Falcons  
OL Stanley Daniels Signed   New York Jets
OT Nat Dorsey UFA Cleveland Browns  
OT Trai Essex RFA Pittsburgh Steelers  
OG Alan Faneca UFA Pittsburgh Steelers  
OT Adam Goldberg UFA St. Louis Rams  
OG Montrae Holland UFA Denver Broncos  
OG Chris Kemoeatu RFA Pittsburgh Steelers  
OT Matt Lepsis Signed Denver Broncos Retired
OG Ryan Lilja UFA Indianapolis Colts  
OG Chris Liwienski UFA Miami Dolphins  
OT Sean Locklear UFA Seattle Seahawks  
OT Daniel Loper RFA Tennessee Titans  
OG Marquay Love Re-signed   Miami Dolphins
OG Evan Mathis RFA Carolina Panthers  
OG Seth McKinney UFA Cleveland Browns  
OG Chris Myers RFA Denver Broncos  
OT Mike Rosenthal UFA Miami Dolphins  
OT Jake Scott UFA Indianapolis Colts  
OG Justin Smiley UFA San Francisco 49ers  
OT Max Starks UFA Pittsburgh Steelers  
OT Todd Steussie UFA St. Louis Rams  
OT Chris Terry UFA Kansas City Chiefs  
OT Torrin Tucker UFA Tampa Bay Buccaneers  
OT Kyle Turley UFA Kansas City Chiefs  
OG Keydrick Vincent UFA Arizona Cardinals  
OG Fred Weary UFA Houston Texans  
OT Travelle Wharton UFA Carolina Panthers  
OG Jason Whittle UFA Buffalo Bills  
OT Mike D. Williams UFA Jacksonville Jaguars  
OG Floyd Womack UFA Seattle Seahawks  

Cleveland:  The only NFL city to never play in, or host, a Superbowl.  That bears repeating.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2008 at 13:02 »

SINGE TODD FARTHAM!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!!

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2008 at 13:11 »

SING KYLIE TURKEEY!!!

COMBACKE PLAYR UF DEE YEER!!!

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2008 at 14:01 »

Put me in the camp with those who just don't see Simmons making it at Center.

And in the camp of those ready to run Mahan out of town, to save some money under the cap.

If we can sign Starks, and Smith really is coming back, maybe G and C should be the true focus of 2 of our first 4 picks. Or maybe center at FA.  

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
KeystoneKC
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2008 at 14:58 »

If we can sign Starks, and Smith really is coming back, maybe G and C should be the true focus of 2 of our first 4 picks. Or maybe center at FA.
1.24 is generally about the time that the #1 Guard gets taken.  Their 2nd round pick could get either the #1 or #2 OC.  It all depends on how confident they are in their Tackles.

Cleveland:  The only NFL city to never play in, or host, a Superbowl.  That bears repeating.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2008 at 15:30 »

Put me in the camp with those who just don't see Simmons making it at Center.

And in the camp of those ready to run Mahan out of town, to save some money under the cap.

I agree with running Mahan out of town.  Gather the villagers and gimme a pitchfork.  We'll take some cap hit, but there'd still be a net savings.

And I'd be all for keeping Starks, and moving Colon inside.

But we still need a franchise LT, sorry.  Smith is too unreliable, IMO.

At 1.23 (think I read we're at 1.23, not 1.24), we may just get one of the premier OTs.  I like a bunch of 'em, and with all the junior RBs declaring, that could skew the number of OTs taken.  I don't think taking the third or fourth best OT means we're reaching, either: these draftnik rankings mean squat.  Target guys likely to be there, but take quality.  If it fits a pressing need, better still.  Hence, Otah and Williams at 1.24.  

I'm also intrigued by the Nebraska OT, Nicks, and the Kansas OT, Collins, who might be there in R2.  And there's a junior OG at LSU who may declare, Herman Johnson, who I think could at least play RT or OG, the guy's fucking Starks-sized and playing at OG?

On the plus side for OC, Stapleton is apparently bulked up from his rook weight, now closer to the requisite 300#.  And if we want to draft a guy, Velasco out of UGA looks like our kinda guy, no finesse bitch, a straight up mauler, and he's slapped with a day 2 rating.  

I wouldn't mind taking a LT, Velasco, and a guard like Scheuning or that Johnson beast.

LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2008 at 18:24 »

Gather the villagers and gimme a pitchfork.
Hah, that was almost exactly the picture I had in mind when I said that.
Just like the villagers descending on Castle Frankenstein.

Probably would've been more appropos when discussing Kent Graham.

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: