Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 23, 2014 at 02:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steelers in Free Agency  (Read 20103 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Jan 11, 2008 at 09:43 »

Going to pin this to track Steelers FA activity.  Here's the list of our guys in free agency, figure we can add any FA pickups, contract info, etc.

2008 STEELERS FREE AGENTS

Brian St. Pierre, QB (unrestricted)
Dan Kreider, FB (unrestricted)
Alan Faneca, OT (unrestricted)
Max Starks, OT (unrestricted)
Nick Eason, DT (unrestricted)
Clark Haggans, LB (unrestricted)
Chris Kemoeatu, OG (restricted)
Trai Essex, OT (restricted)
Travis Kirschke , DT (unrestricted)
Nate Washington, WR (restricted)
Greg Warren, LS (restricted)

Of the UFAs, the only one I think we make a move on is Starks.  He's too valuable a guy, but may get considerable activity on the FA market.  Much as I love Kreider, I think his time here is done.  Ditto Faneca, more obviously.  St. Pierre and Eason I could give a rat's arse about.  Haggans will only be back if he can accept a backup role and salary, which I doubt.

I think Kemo has shown some good play, and should be retained.  Essex did OK in some spot action, but I'd be more interested in developing a young guy like Capizzi than the new Barrett Brooks.  Kirschke, too old, expensive, banged up, and increasingly less effective.  Nate Washington is a very good #3 WR; his stats last year were better (35-624- 4 TDs in '06; 29-450-5 TDs in '07), and he's had his drop issues, but I think he's explosive and productive in his role.  How many #3s are as good?  Everyone's touchstone for O is the '07 Pats.  Well, Donte Stallworth is their #3, with 46-697-3.  That's about on par with Nate's '06 numbers, with fewer YPC, and in a much more productive passing game.  Greg Warren should be retained.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2008 at 13:32 »

Per kffl.com

NFL | Franchise tag and transition tag prices for special teams players announced
Sun, 27 Jan 2008 11:18:32 -0800

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports the prices for franchise tag players and transition tag players for the 2008 season have been announced. Punters and place kickers will carry a franchise tag of $2.514 million and a transition tag of $2.245 million.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NFL | Franchise tag and transition tag prices for defensive players announced
Sun, 27 Jan 2008 11:17:46 -0800

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports the prices for franchise tag players and transition tag players for the 2008 season have been announced. Defensive ends will carry a franchise tag of $8.879 million and a transition tag of $7.679 million. Cornerbacks will carry a franchise tag of $9.465 million and a transition tag of $7.659 million. Linebackers will carry a franchise tag of $8.065 million and a transition tag of $7.335 million. Defensive tackles will carry a franchise tag of $6.363 million and a transition tag of $5.654 million. Safeties will carry a franchise tag of $4.396 million and a transition tag of $3.893 million.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NFL | Franchise tag and transition tag prices for offensive players announced
Sun, 27 Jan 2008 11:16:57 -0800

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports the prices for franchise tag players and transition tag players for the 2008 season have been announced. Quarterbacks will carry a franchise tag of $10.73 million and a transition tag of $9.56 million. Offensive lineman will carry a franchise tag of $7.455 million and a transition tag of $6.895 million. Wide receivers will carry a franchise tag of $7.848 million and a transition tag of $6.872 million. Running backs will carry a franchise tag of $6.538 million and a transition tag of $5.699 million. Tight ends will carry a franchise tag of $4.522 million and a transition tag of $3.733 million.
« Last Edit: Jan 27, 2008 at 13:33 by SCacalaki » Logged

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2008 at 16:41 »

Seems odd that they would separate defensive tackles from DEs, but not offensive tackles from the rest of the Oline.  Wonder how much of a difference it would make.
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2008 at 16:51 »

I think it's very exclusionary to leave out the LS from the special teams category.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2008 at 09:34 »

Seems odd that they would separate defensive tackles from DEs, but not offensive tackles from the rest of the Oline.  Wonder how much of a difference it would make.
Yeah, I've always wondered that myself; especially nowadays where the disparity in cost between OTs > OGs > OCs.

But hey, if punters are lumped in with kickers...

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2008 at 09:45 »

BTW...

Going to pin this to track Steelers FA activity.

I expect this to be a pretty short list.

Seriously though, it will be interesting to see if they divert from their MO.  I don't see Tomlin as a yes man type so there might be a few clashes there about going out and bringing in talent.

Little action - he toes the Company line; more action - he's throwing his weight around a little.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2008 at 09:50 »

BTW...

Going to pin this to track Steelers FA activity.

I expect this to be a pretty short list.

Seriously though, it will be interesting to see if they divert from their MO.  I don't see Tomlin as a yes man type so there might be a few clashes there about going out and bringing in talent.

Little action - he toes the Company line; more action - he's throwing his weight around a little.
Expect it to show more goings than comings.  Especially if they re-do Ben's deal this year.

The big news comes down to two guys, Red and Maxie.  And I 'spect neither to stay.

Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2008 at 09:59 »

Unless there is something there that I'm not seeing, I believe we'll have to make a bid to keep Starks and sign one FA offensive lineman in order to have any shot at improvement next season.  Those are some mighty big "ifs."

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2008 at 10:03 »

We got to keep Starks and slap a high tender on Kemo, IMHO.  If Kemo seems to be the answer at guard (and I thought he played pretty well when he had the opportunity), then me things we should lock him up before the season starts.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2008 at 10:50 »

Good news, bad news.  Good news is, we're gonna have about $20M.  Bad news is, that's good enough to come in about 20th.  Out of 32.  As in, 19 teams with more money, and OGs' value having gone through the roof, and OTs' having already been there.  Seriously, what are the odds we make Max a better offer than everyone else?

Pages: [1] 2 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: