Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 22, 2014 at 01:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steelers in Free Agency  (Read 20707 times)
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2008 at 11:34 »

Best news there is that the Colts, Pats, and Ravens look to be in worse shape than we are.  Of the players we have that are not under contract, only Starks and Faneca (and those are major) would be expected to have major contributions next season.  We rarely lose RFA unless we just don't want them anymore, so I don't really count them.

Those numbers seem to point to Chicago being in the best overall shape.  Do we have any possible cuts, other than Ced, that could help that number?

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2008 at 12:00 »

Going by un-updated cap numbers:

Cutting Ced would save us ~$2M.  That's an easy call: cut Ced, re-sign Nate.  

How about Jerame Tuman, at $1.4M?  What he done?

Kriewaldt's a $750K savings, with the only note being he's primarily STs.  Does cutting him make STs worse?  How?

Ty Carter's a Kriewaldt-sized cut.  Doubt they pull the trigger on him, though.

You know, Sean Mahan would save us $2M.  Love to have Tomlin say, "Hey, my bad, dude is gone."

Not a lot to scrape up.  But $3M's something.  $5M's nicer.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2008 at 13:00 »

Good news, bad news.  Good news is, we're gonna have about $20M.  Bad news is, that's good enough to come in about 20th.  Out of 32.  As in, 19 teams with more money, and OGs' value having gone through the roof, and OTs' having already been there.  Seriously, what are the odds we make Max a better offer than everyone else?

Yeesh.

I know we talked a lot about this list before, but man, a lotta good teams with a lot of cap room.  Enough cap room that the addition of one big FA (i.e. Moss) could be enough to send them (SD, Jax) over the top.

Still, even at 20th though, Pittsburgh will have some wiggle room.  And, this isn't factoring in any additional space from possible cuts (Wilson, Mahan, etc.), possible restructures (M. Smith, Ward (?), Keisel (?), etc.) and Ben's extension.

Even if they only make a few of those moves, you gotta figure they can squeeze out another 5 million or so in space, if necessary.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2008 at 13:21 »

All these guys (Hutch, Len Davis, Steinbach) signing 7/$49M deals are probably getting more than Faneca will (age) or Starks will (talent/exposure).  But how much lower will they go?

Given Faneca's age, figure he gets a 6, where the last year or two is heavily backloaded with salary for easy cuttin'.  It'll come down to guaranteed money, as it always does.  He'll want more than $10M, and won't get over $15M.  Split the diff and say $12M, or $2M per cap year.  I can see a team doing the first three years close to $3-4M salary, the last two at maybe $5-7.

On paper, that's $37.5M.  Let's take the high end, and say $40M.  If 2011 and 2012 are voided, drop that to a realistic figure of $28M total for 3 years.  Cap hits of ~$5-6M per over the first three.  Just guessing; if anything, I'm probably lowballing.

Starks is trickier.  Didn't start last year, and injured late.  Still, has shown value at RT and LT.  And he's young.  My guess for him is a longer deal, probably 7, with lower guaranteed, maybe $10M.  Total cap hit, maybe pretty close to Red's, if he averages $4M per in salary over the seven (sliding scale, not backloaded), with $10M on top, $38M.  $5.4M as opposed to $6.3M per, with Red.  Just guessing; if anything, I'm probably going a little high here.  Guessing someone sees him back at RT.

I will guess that Arizona makes a run at Starks, at least, if not both, with $30M loose and only 34 under contract.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2008 at 13:23 »

Oh, and I'm having big doubts about finding quality RT depth late in the draft.  Originally thought it looked good.  Post-Senor Bowl, not so much.  Cousins (R3?) sucked; Barton (R5?) sucked; Richardson (R6?) sucked.  McGlynn was OK at OG, nothing special, not sure he's the mauler I thought he was for RT in the bigs.

Really wouldn't mind making some cuts and keeping Starks, at RT, with Colon at RG.

DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2008 at 14:47 »

Don't forget Ben's LTBE 2008 bonus of around 3 Million as his contract stands right now.  That would put us around 17-18 million under.  
TwistedLemon

« Reply #16 on: Feb 20, 2008 at 13:04 »

Steelers in Free Agency.......when I first saw the title I thought of Military Intelligence.  Really does not make sense

"My reality check bounced"
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Feb 22, 2008 at 09:56 »

OC Flanagan was released by the Texans.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Feb 22, 2008 at 13:49 »

Seems like par for course this so far this year. Underwhelming as usual. A bone tossed to a washed up Dlineman who, in all honesty, should be camp fodder and a somewhat inexplicable transistion tag on Starks. Oh yeah, some rumbling about looking to keep Kemo around. Lets hope the draft goes our way.  
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Feb 22, 2008 at 23:39 »

I actually think this team will be pretty active in FA compared to years past.  Not necissarily big names, but role players or special teams core guys.

It's possible they could pony up the dough for some one and those positions I could see would be on the lines or perhaps WR.  

Depending on how active they really are is what will happen to Ced and some of the others.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: