Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 22, 2014 at 11:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steelers in Free Agency  (Read 20711 times)
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #60 on: Feb 26, 2009 at 08:47 »

OK, kids, <3 hours until the FA shit hits the fan.

We'll be losing some Steelers who have been with us through a Super Bowl win or two...

Does it start at noon? I thought it was midnight.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #61 on: Feb 26, 2009 at 09:07 »

OK, kids, <3 hours until the FA shit hits the fan.

We'll be losing some Steelers who have been with us through a Super Bowl win or two...

Does it start at noon? I thought it was midnight.

You're right.  I didn't sleep well last night, so nonsense ensues.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #62 on: Feb 26, 2009 at 11:14 »

lol... great research...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/jim_trotter/02/26/afc.fa/1.html

PITTSBURGH: The defending Super Bowl champions rarely are big players in free agency, and this year should be no exception. Their preference is to re-sign at least two of their own free agents, notably starting cornerback Deshea Townsend and No. 3 receiver Nate Washington. They're expected to lose two offensive linemen to free agency -- tackle Marvel Smith and guard Chris Kemoeatu -- but Indianapolis center Jeff Saturday already has expressed an interest in signing with them, even saying through his agent that he would line up at guard. The team would like to re-sign cornerback Deshea Townsend, but it's thought that he will find a more lucrative offer on the open market.

I'd puke if this happened..

After playing against the Ravens twice a season the past four years, Nate Washington could end up in a purple jersey in '09.
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #63 on: Feb 26, 2009 at 13:13 »

I seriously doubt the word "lucrative" will ever be associated with any contract offer Deshea is going to get at this point.

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
sage
Kickin the Bengals Ass since 1933
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #64 on: Feb 26, 2009 at 13:31 »

I'd puke if this happened..

After playing against the Ravens twice a season the past four years, Nate Washington could end up in a purple jersey in '09.
[/quote]

if he wants to get his ass kicked definitely 2 maybe 3 times a year so be it!!!!!

Go Steelers
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #65 on: Feb 27, 2009 at 09:22 »

Man, in quickly skimming this list of FAs, there are an awful lot of good second and third tier candidates looking for work.

For instance, if Pittsburgh wants to get younger on the D-line using this route, the Bolts let Olshansky go.  Solid 3-4 DE who may not command a ton of attention in FA.  The dude's only 26 and a beast.  I think I might be underestimating his value here, but a guy can hope, right?  Rocky Bernard is another guy there too, but I'm sure he'd be more expensive.

Michael Jenkins could be an option if they don't resing Nate as I expect.  He's 26 as well; big, decent hands and would probably come relatively cheap.  Suddenly, I feel very dirty recommending another Buckeye though.  Maybe a Reggie Williams as a different option?  Probably too many "issues" there though.

At CB, there are tons of options if McFads bolts.  Although, I gotta say that if there's one guy I hope they don't lose, it's BM.  Here's to hoping that the injuries that he suffered this year help to keep his stock down a bit.  With the Colts giving Kelvin Hayden that big 5YR/43MIL deal, I could easily see him expecting to be in the neighborhood which would obviously be prohibitive and almost double what Ike got a couple years ago.

Should be interesting.  In the end though, I don't expect to see much activity; especially after blowing 8+ MIL on Starks.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #66 on: Feb 27, 2009 at 11:30 »

Chris Carr is a great option.  Sort of a "M. Moore" signing in that it's low-key with a lot of upside. 

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #67 on: Feb 27, 2009 at 12:03 »

Still not sold on Carr-as-CB so much as Carr-as-KR, but maybe you're right.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #68 on: Feb 27, 2009 at 12:52 »

Here are some UFA that the Steelers might consider...I have that feeling that we might just open up the checkbook...

Jason Babin DE UFA 6-3 267
Khalif Barnes OT UFA 6-5 325
Leigh Bodden CB Released 6-1 193
Igor Olshansky DE UFA 6-6 309
Antonio Smith DE UFA 6-4 285
Michael Jenkins WR UFA 6-4 215
Reggie Williams WR UFA 6-4 212

Thoughts?

Brinker

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #69 on: Apr 06, 2009 at 15:29 »

Fucking hysterical. Nothing but crickets in the dust and cobwebs on this thread since February. Yup, dems my Steelers!

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
Pages: 1 ... 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: