Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 24, 2014 at 05:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 [8] 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steelers in Free Agency  (Read 17993 times)
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #70 on: Apr 06, 2009 at 16:17 »

I read on PFT.com that Reggie Williams was busted with cocaine.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #71 on: Apr 07, 2009 at 08:39 »

Fucking hysterical. Nothing but crickets in the dust and cobwebs on this thread since February. Yup, dems my Steelers!

Why would they SING any FA? </sarcasm>

Two Lombardi's in four years though....Makes the lack of activity bearable.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #72 on: Jul 28, 2011 at 17:51 »

Steelers resign colon and Scott according to PFT

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #73 on: Jan 13, 2012 at 10:26 »

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12013/1203223-66.stm

Eleven Steelers will become unrestricted free agents and seven more will become restricted free agents if they do not sign contracts with the team before March 13, when the NFL's new calendar year starts and free agency begins.

Steelers UFAs:  Charlie Batch, Jerricho Cotchery, Dennis Dixon, Trai Essex, William Gay, Chris Hoke, Byron Leftwich, Anthony Madison, Mewelde Moore, Daniel Sepulveda and Max Starks

Steelers RFAs:  Ramon Foster, David Johnson, Doug Legursky, Keenan Lewis, Jamon Meredith, Ryan Mundy and Mike Wallace

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #74 on: Jan 13, 2012 at 10:43 »

Steelers UFAs:  Charlie Batch, Jerricho Cotchery, Dennis Dixon, Trai Essex, William Gay, Chris Hoke, Byron Leftwich, Anthony Madison, Mewelde Moore, Daniel Sepulveda and Max Starks

Steelers RFAs:  Ramon Foster, David Johnson, Doug Legursky, Keenan Lewis, Jamon Meredith, Ryan Mundy and Mike Wallace

I think Batch retires, Cotchery leaves, Dixon probably wants to test the market, Essex they'll wait till after the draft, Gay they should re-sign cheaply (good in nickel and dime) Hoke retires, Leftwich should get a deal and replace Batch, Madison goes, Moore they might deal but IMO shouldn't, Sepulveda may be done, and Starks they'll wait on like Essex, esp. with the ACL.  RFAs:  Foster was a UDFA, so he's either a 2nd round tender or unprotected, and I think they'll do the former, not sure how I feel about that.  Johnson they should kick to the curb, IMO, worthless.  Legs, see Foster:  I think he'll get a 2RT and should, valuable swing man.  Lewis is coming into his own and may get a 2RT but might be worth a 1RT.  Meredith, pass.  Mundy, I'm fucking pissed at, maybe he'll get a 2RT for depth, whatever.  Wallace gets a 1&3RT, no question.  Brown may be more versatile in the long run, but that speed will be a huge weapon.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #75 on: Jan 13, 2012 at 10:51 »

UFAs - 3 QBS, which two do you keep?  Or one maybe?  Batch knows offense best, probably healthier than BFL scary as that may be.  I would guess Lefty can move the offense best, but mobility and health an issue.  Dixon most versatile, but in several years hasn't been able to leapfrog Batch, so maybe time for him to move on.

Gay sticks (97%)
Starks might be 5 bills after his surgery.  Don't see how he can keep his weight down enough to resign.  That will be training camp decision again I think.  Even then, will likely be even more susceptible to speed rushers.  Must find legit LT this offseason.

Hoke almost certainly done.

Others mainly depend on price - Cotchery hasn't done enough to warrant much more than minimum.  Robo can't stay on the field, which is sad for a punter.  Moore will be 30 - let him test market, maybe come back for cheap.

RFAs:  Foster - gotta offer.  
Wallace will get top tender, needs deal.  2nd half of season concerning, but Ben's health had a lot to do with that.  
Legs sign to deal, or mid-tender
Lewis should get midrange tender.
Mundy - not seeing it yet.
Merideth - no offer.
Johnson - won't be in high demand.  Low tender.
« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2012 at 10:54 by msdmnr2002 » Logged
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #76 on: Jan 20, 2012 at 15:06 »

Steelers sign Troy Smith, et al?

Wut?

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #77 on: Jan 27, 2012 at 11:31 »

With Hamp having ACL surgery and likely becoming a cap casualty and Hoke retiring, I think Pittsburgh should consider looking in FA to find a stopgap NT 'til they draft a stud.

One guy that might be a little under the radar and sign for a reasonable price could be Sione Pouha.  Didn't realize he was a FA until a few days ago and with all the turmoil going on in the NY locker room, he might be willing to jump ship for a modest deal on a good team where he'll likely start.

He's no spring chicken (will be 33 a week), but he's a very underrated run stuffer.  His current deal was a 4YR/5.8MIL/1BONUS.  I'd be surprised if someone offers him another deal in that neighborhood at his age.  A 2 or 3 year deal for about what they save in cutting Snacks this year would be solid.  IMO. 

As mentioned, I think this team needs to get a lot stronger up the middle (NT, ILB and S) on defense.  With no Hoke or Hamp (even if they bring Casey back, there's no way he'll be effective that soon following surgery), they need an infusion of talent at this crucial spot.  A single draft pick, even a high one, won't be enough.

A move like this would allow them to target ILB, S or OL with the R1 pick.  I'd still look to address it early, but it wouldn't have to be a first rounder.  If they don't add a FA here, it all but guarantees they go NT in R1.

My early take.

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #78 on: Jan 27, 2012 at 11:55 »

Saw a lot of Pouha this year and agree he'd be a nice transitional player until we can get the guy we want in the draft. 

Also, Pou-ha, got you all in check.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #79 on: Feb 10, 2012 at 12:41 »

Although I'd love to punch that smug look off of Prisco's face, he does put together a nice top 50 list of free agents available this offseason.

We all know that there's no way in hell they're touching any of the top 20 (with a slim chance of any of these guys getting a look), but there are a few guys on that list that should warrant a look.

Still like Sione Pouha as a NT fill in...a lot.

Gaither was a guy that was mentioned by several on here as worth a look last year.  He could've been snagged for a Doritos Family Pack then, but now will likely command a more modest salary.  Still young.

Grubbs would make the interior of the line infinitely better and also weaken a strength of the Ratbirds.  Still pretty young too, but is probably looking for a good sized contract.

Marshawn Lynch...obv...HA!

Pages: 1 ... 7 [8] 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: