Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 18, 2014 at 20:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Imagine Ben...on the Giants?  (Read 1030 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Jan 11, 2008 at 12:01 »

I'm driving home last night and I'm listening to the local NY clowns on AM sportstalk radio because I've switched cars and I haven't picked up an XM radio for my ride yet.  So, I'm flipping back and forth between Michael Kay (ugh) and Mike Francessa and his sideshow act Russo (ditto).  Some of you might've heard of these guys, but I'm guessing most, outside of those that also live in the area, probably haven't.  They're all pretty much your standard, run-of-the-mill obnoxious and annoying airwave fillers.  They know it all; have all the connections and you can't tell 'em anything.  Since my listening options are pretty limited at the moment, I tend to tune in, at the very least, for the interviews and skip the call-in segments because those are just unbearable.

Anyway, so last night, Kay has Ernie Acorsi (former GM of the Giants) on.  Overall, one of the better interviews I've heard in awhile with a really sharp, well spoken dude.  I missed part of it, but when I finally tuned in, he was talking about some consulting work that he was doing for Blank to try to get the organization back on the right track; how good of a guy Blank was; how much he cares about the organization beyond just wins and losses; how the Vick thing tore him up; and how he likened Blank's approach and attitudes to the Rooney's, but they haven't enjoyed the same consistent level of success as Pittsburgh...or something to that effect.  In passing, he kind of commended Pittsburgh for "doing things right" (so to speak) as evidenced by the fact that they don't really have down years, just an occasional so-so one.  And, that reference was a nice segway into a discussion about Manning and Roethlisberger.

At this point, I kinda perked up a bit.  I knew Roethlisberger was someone that was on the Giants radar screen, but I never realized how serious and close he was to becoming a Giant...until now.

Acorsi goes into this discussion about how high they had Manning rated.  He was their #1 guy.  Leading up to the draft, they were working hard with San Diego to work out some sort of deal.  Listening to him recant the story, it seemed to me like they showed their hand too early in negotiations, but WTF do I know.  So, in the days leading up to the draft, they're making offers left and right.  Smith in SD was definitely listening, but obviously they wanted to sweeten the deal as much as possible.  Early offers prior to the draft had them requesting deals that included Osi Umenyora and draft picks, but Acorsi wouldn't go there.  Draft day...SD takes Manning who makes it known that he isn't happy with the selection; in the next 45 minutes, NY continues to do everything they can to make the deal happen.  Phone calls, offers flying back and forth, nothing.  The Chargers want Osi in the deal and it ain't happening.  Then, while they're still on the clock, with about 6 or 7 minutes left to make their selection, Acorsi is ready to just move on and take the guy that they have rated next on their board...Ben Wafflesburger.

This part of the interview was a little grainy (lovely AM radio), but the long and short of it was a final offer was made to SD that Smith agreed to.  It was an all pick deal that included the Giants taking Rivers with their 4th and giving up those 3 picks to SD for Manning and additional considerations.  NY takes Rivers instead of Roethlisberger; they try to hammer out the final details, but talks stall; eventually both sides come to an agreement and the deal is finalized.

What I found most amazing about this was how close Ben was to being selected by NY.  When the SD/NY deal happened, I kinda remember it being an after the fact deal, not one that was done while picks were being made.  Judging by how Acorsi relayed the story, they were within a few minutes of drafting Ben and giving up on Eli.  Luckily for them (and much moreso for Pittsburgh, I suppose), SD was willing to go with Rivers and those picks or #7 would in all likelihood, be wearing NY blue instead of Pittsburgh Black and Gold.  And, that means that Rivers would've likely ended up being taken by the Steelers at 1.11 as I seem to recall Cowher being pretty high on him.

:vomit:

How sick is that?  A few minutes from...from...disaster.  It's not on the level of passing on Marino, but it ain't far off.  Never ceases to amaze me how one single decision can have such a ripple effect.  Anyone think that Pittsburgh has the same level of success over the last 3 years with Rivers "behind the helmet" instead of Ben?  I sure as hell don't.  Not even close, IMO.
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2008 at 12:04 by aj_law » Logged

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2008 at 12:48 »

I just retroactively shat my pants.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2008 at 13:09 »

Now, just for fun, let's imagine Neil O'Donnell with our current offensive line.
BleedGreen710
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2008 at 13:34 »

Now, just for fun, let's imagine Neil O'Donnell with our current offensive line.
Imagine Tommy fuckin Maddox behind out O-Line...

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 3rd round draft pick.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2008 at 13:38 »

Imagine Tommy fuckin Maddox behind out O-Line...

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2008 at 14:13 »

I would guess that it would be reminiscent of the '96 Jets.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
DoctorJohnnyFever
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2008 at 16:48 »

Roethlisberger was also dangerously close to becoming a Buffalo Bill. When Roethlisberger started to drop, Tom Donahoe went crazy and tried everything in his power to move ahead of the Steelers. At least, that's the story Myron Cope tells (he claimed it was a high ranking Steelers official who told him this). As the story goes, Donahoe offered major deals to both Houston and Jacksonville - both picking ahead of the Steelers - and neither team took the bait, mainly because they were both afraid to lose their top targets: Dunta Robinson and Reggie Williams.

"The MGS board is regarded here as a board with adult rated content. There are virtually no rules. There are no words that are inappropriate and no subject that cannot be discussed. Should you feel the need to get crazy, do it there. You will be welcomed with open arms."

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2008 at 20:58 »

Neil O'Donnell, hell.  Imagine Kent Graham behind the current o-line.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2008 at 07:58 »

I remember Accorsi going to Ben's workout for the pro scouts, and from his comments I thought they were gonna take him.  We can be pissed at the Jags, but thank God they wanted Reggie Williams so badly.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
OhioU_Stlrs_Fan

« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2008 at 10:25 »

Imagine Phillip Rivers Behind that O-Line

I Heart The Steelers.

Movie On Repeat (1) - Death Race
Movie On Repeat (2) -Max Payne None
Song On Repeat (1)- Jay Z - Brooklyn We Go Hard
Song On Repeat (2)-Here We Go, Duh its Playoff Time!
Book i cant put down -Dean Koontz - Shadowfires
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: