Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 23, 2014 at 09:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Colbert's comments on the OL  (Read 2403 times)
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« on: Jan 15, 2008 at 14:28 »

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08015/849244-66.stm

"Obviously, the sack numbers [47] were something that were up and were unacceptable. But you also have to realize it's the same line that blocked for the league's leading rusher before his injury and it's the same line that allowed the quarterback to have his best year ever.

"To say you need that position and that it is a glaring need, I don't think it's really fair to that group of guys. That being said, sure you want to add depth -- you realize you can lose two unrestricted free agents, and if you do, maybe that changes your focus as you move forward. But I think you have to keep in mind that group did some good things too."

He is still saying Ellen isn't out yet as well, but I think everyone would be surprised to see him stay. He is covering his ass on the Mahan signing, but I guess he can't just come out and say " The Pittsburgh Steeler OL really blows, and after we lose our best shitty player it will get even more sucky. You thought Ben went down a lot this year,  just wait until next year".

Still, I hope he doesn't really think that unit is solid. IMO, Ben and Willie putting up big numbers is a reflection on how big of studs they are, not the OL. They did it despite the OL.

Mahan has got to go. He is not the answer at center and he proved it all year. I'm not sold on Marvel coming back to '04-'05 form either. Simmons is so up and down from play to play its impossible to predict he will be. Colon will probably stay out there at RT simply because they can't replace everyone. I see them trying to keep Max to back up the tackles and maybe even push Smith out.

So does the '08 OL look like

Smith/Starks- LT
Kemo/Mahan- LG
Draft pick- C
Simmons- RG
Colon- RT

Does Capizzi(sp?) make it at tackle? I don't see Mahan getting cut, but kept around to maybe replace Reddy and general depth. He's pretty expensive depth though. Some tough calls to make coming up regarding FA and the draft and I hope that come September '08 , it is a new and improved OL, and therefore team, out there.

Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2008 at 14:35 »

Still, I hope he doesn't really think that unit is solid. IMO, Ben and Willie putting up big numbers is a reflection on how big of studs they are, not the OL. They did it despite the OL.

Couldn't agree more.

If this is truly a reflection of how he feels, we're in serious trouble.  Hopefully Tomlin will bring him around to reality.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2008 at 14:35 »

:smokescreen:

I hope.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2008 at 14:38 »

I'll add that I don't like to hear about the "continuing philosophy" in FA.  I believe that we have to add one really good OL as a free agent if we are to have any hope of improvement next season.

nate07
N00b

« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2008 at 14:39 »

WTF? Was Colbery watching the same o-line as I was all year? I hope sure hope we don't pass up an O-lineman in the 1st round of the draft. This years draft seems to be deep in the tackle position.

I don't want Willie and Big Ben to waste the prime years of their career with susan mahan at center!!! The o-line and d-line need to be the top priorities in the draft.  
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2008 at 14:42 »

See my Mind-Meld with Colbert Mock thread.

I think part of him does believe that the line just needs minor adjustments.  I think Tomlin sees it as being worse, but maybe he does have some faith in the OGs on roster, and that Stapleton can overtake Mahan.

It's gonna be interesting...

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2008 at 14:49 »

Stapleton can overtake Mahan.

It's hard to believe that he could be worse.

mzimmerman81
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2008 at 14:55 »

On the Late Night sportsbeat last night, I heard Ed Bouchette say that Colbert told him the only positions on the field he wouldn't consider drafting is QB and TE.

He said he wanted a safety and two runningbacks as well.

2007 MGS Bracket Challenge Winner
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2008 at 15:01 »

On the Late Night sportsbeat last night, I heard Ed Bouchette say that Colbert told him the only positions on the field he wouldn't consider drafting is QB and TE.

He said he wanted a safety and two runningbacks as well.
Glad to hear Brian St. Pierre has gotten the vote of confidence.  

Two RBs?  Sure, why not.  We have six picks, for Pete's sake.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2008 at 16:06 »

I'm with aj, it's a smokescreen.  Colbert wants in no way to tip his hand regarding the draft.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: