Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 28, 2014 at 03:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Colbert's comments on the OL  (Read 2244 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2008 at 17:46 »

I don't know that I totally agree with the smokescreen idea.  This year seems good for OT and RB, and possibly DE, early on.  So far so good for us.  We could do worse than draft another RB, with Davenport not here forever and GR largely unproven.  If Mendenhall falls to us, do we pass?

It goes to the BAA argument.  

That said, I truly do hope we get our franchise LT in R1.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2008 at 19:19 »

I am looking forward to the draft.

I guess I always do but moreso this year as Tomlin's been with the team for a full season and I'm interested to see what type of influence he'll have over the process.  None?  Some?  

Plus, it's my opinion that the Steelers whiffed with Timmons last year, though I think of it as more a whiff on position selected.  I don't think Timmons will be great but he might fit at the mack ILB.  

I can't help thinking, as I did last April, that Ben Grubbs was the pick.  It just makes sense:

1) both starting guards were going into the last year's of their contracts....allow yourself more leverage as a team in having a backup plan that will be one-year experienced by the time one or both starting guards are gone.  Instead the Steelers had to sign one or the other of Faneca or Simmons.  Simmons was cheaper but you get what you pay for here.

2)  the line was going down hill in 2006.  Certainly a point of need now as it was then, despite Colbert's idea that the Steelers had the leading rusher (who also was leading the league in # of attempts).  Maybe we get lucky and get a Joe Thomas, "ready-to-go-out-of-the-package" OL but it's unlikely.  IMO, it'll be late 2008 or 2009 before the rook OL steps into his own.  

At the same time, last year's mistakes probably make me more confident for this year.  

I believe Tomlin realizes that the Steelers goofed in taking Timmons.  Tomlin had a few comments last Tuesday about Timmons that weren't a ringing endorsement.  I think Tomlin will be better prepared for the 2008 draft and I expect far better from the first round pick.  

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2008 at 20:42 »

i gotta buy into the smokescreen thing too, especially after Tomlin continuously gushing over Revis pre-Draft, only to have NYJ swoop in and steal him away.  now whether or not Tomlin and Colbert really wanted to draft Revis is an arguable point as well, but surely they will try to be more mum about the draft than last year.
« Last Edit: Jan 15, 2008 at 21:27 by give'emthaboot » Logged

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2008 at 21:16 »

Agreed.

Darrelle Revis. What a find. Should have made the Pro Bowl but nobody threw at him when it counted (and plus Cromartie of FSU...er SD had an amazing year and was robbed of DPOtY). Great player and I think everyone wishes he was a Steeler.

:Pitter:

Timmons will be fine. Ben Grubbs been scrub...s. Get it!

Colbert can't come up to the podium and destroy players he's got under contract. Regardless of his intentions.

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2008 at 22:01 »

Kind of hard to smokescreen anyone when your Offensive line gave up 2nd worst league wide 47 sacks and countless hurries, etc...

the colbert shuffle smoke screen coming other teams way is from one of them girly cigs that are about 3 feet long and thin as a toothpick

and add me to one of them there Revis supporters this time last year.  I wanted him first round and I didnt give a rats ass if i tipped my hand too early on him or not.

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2008 at 22:17 »

one of them girly cigs that are about 3 feet long and thin as a toothpick

Well... it was cold outside...  

A shabby Charlie Brown.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2008 at 23:53 »

As mentioned, Colbert can't go up and say in front of everyone that the Oline sucked royally.  At least some of those guys will be back.

the more I hear, the harder it will be to keep Starks.  I think for him it will be less about the money and more about going somewhere he is basically assured a starting spot.  He says the right things about having roots here, wants to stay with the team that drafted him, yada yada yada.  If we can't give him a starting spot, he's likely to go. So which do you prefer - the aging Marvell or the young, huge, inconsistent Max?  Cause it sounds like Colon is keeping his spot.

Can't imagine Faneca stays.  That means two of your top 6 lineman gone, and a third sucking royally (Mahan).  That's a lot of beef to replace.  Don't expect the sack totals to go down unless they convert to the short passing game.

In retrospect, probably should have kept Chukky after all.  Maybe his griping was warranted.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Jan 16, 2008 at 09:02 »

the more I hear, the harder it will be to keep Starks.  I think for him it will be less about the money and more about going somewhere he is basically assured a starting spot.  He says the right things about having roots here, wants to stay with the team that drafted him, yada yada yada.  If we can't give him a starting spot, he's likely to go. So which do you prefer - the aging Marvell or the young, huge, inconsistent Max?  Cause it sounds like Colon is keeping his spot.

Can't imagine Faneca stays.  That means two of your top 6 lineman gone, and a third sucking royally (Mahan).  That's a lot of beef to replace.  Don't expect the sack totals to go down unless they convert to the short passing game.

In retrospect, probably should have kept Chukky after all.  Maybe his griping was warranted.
I'm hearing two things with Starks.  One, if he stays, is that he won't replace Colon at RT.  So that would mean he's being primed to take over LT from Smith, and continue as utility OT backup.  The other is that if we have the right OT, Colon could be moved inside.

The scary inference here is that we might be content with throwing waaaaay too much dough to retain Max, and hope that his short-term success at LT translates to what we'd get from a franchise LT in the draft.  Ummm, I'm not seeing it.  I see a Simmons scenario here, unfortunately.  IMO, Starks is a good RT, and why Colon is out there instead of being the monster RG we all know he should be is hard to fathom.  

Maybe it's best to lose Starks and not worry about over-paying, and playing him out of position.  We get a 2009 comp, and can pick up a late draft pick to play RT.  Maybe Capizzi even makes it at RT.  I just don't want to over-pay and under-draft for critical positions (LT).  

As for Mahan, don't you think Tomlin's answer at the presser was telling?  Penso noted that he did answer the question; I think that maybe he did, really.  Mahan may be a talent on par with Todd Fordham, but clearly his spot ain't OC, and it doesn't take a genius to see it.  Let him compete for LT against Simmons and Kemo.  He'd be a swell benchwarmer, who could come in occasionally to sub at OC and OG.  Swell.  Or cut his fucking ass entirely, I give a shit.  Send a message, Tomlin.

It's also telling that Stapleton beat out Okobi in camp, even though he was injured through much of camp.  I thought he was dead meat for sure.  Biggest roster surprise, IMO.  Cowher thought enough of Marv Phillip to retain a third OC last year; Tomlin had three going into the season, and had Stapleton ahead of MP by the time he needed some roster space.  Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I'm guessing Tomlin sees something.  Stapleton was a Rimington nom, and beat out Rutgers OL mate Stephenson for a roster spot.  And, by some reports, he's now closer to NFL weight of ~#300, rather than the #285 listed.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Jan 16, 2008 at 09:10 »

Plus, it's my opinion that the Steelers whiffed with Timmons last year, though I think of it as more a whiff on position selected.  I don't think Timmons will be great but he might fit at the mack ILB.  

I can't help thinking, as I did last April, that Ben Grubbs was the pick.  ...

I believe Tomlin realizes that the Steelers goofed in taking Timmons.  Tomlin had a few comments last Tuesday about Timmons that weren't a ringing endorsement.  I think Tomlin will be better prepared for the 2008 draft and I expect far better from the first round pick.
I think we're fine with OGs.  Honestly.  If we can pick up a guy this year, great, maybe we can cut Mahan, maybe we don't even retain Kemo.  But I see the issue as weakness at OC and the LT spots.  I hate to count on Stapleton to make the OC issue irrelevant, but my surmise is that that's Tomlin's thinking.  

Consider:

LT:  Baker/Williams, M. Smith
LG: Simmons/Kemo, Kemo/Simmons
C: Stapleton, Mahan
RG: Colon/Mahan
RT: M. Smith, Capizzi/Essex/rookie

It's a bit of a switch, but do-able.

I'll take the minority position again (Arians, Spaeth), but on what are we judging Timmons?  How exactly is he a whiff?  Everything I've read from Tomlin seems to project confidence that he'll be playing, soon and well.  I think the coaches may see him less as a ROLB than a mack ILB, but he's following the Troy P. learning curve, perhaps less PT, but remember that he's very, very young in addition to the setbacks of 1. rookie contract holdout = less camp time, 2. Dickie L. defense learning curve, and finally 3. the broken thumb.

Basically: let's see what he does.  Foote sounds pretty sure about the writing on the wall.

msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Jan 16, 2008 at 09:32 »

I'll take the minority position again (Arians, Spaeth), but on what are we judging Timmons? How exactly is he a whiff?

I agree that it's way to early to judge the Timmons pick.  Yes, it would have been nice to have hit on an Olineman that could started right away, but there are certainly no guarantees that would have happened.  Timmons has time, and Farrior/Foote won't be playing the middle forever.  If in 2-3 years we have a great inside/outside combo in Timmons and Woodley, we'll be praising the front office for filling a need before it was obvious, instead of waiting until we're desperate.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: