Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 26, 2014 at 00:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ernie Holmes Dies  (Read 1257 times)
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2008 at 17:46 »

Someone, shave an arrowhead onto Silverback's head, quickly now!

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2008 at 18:38 »

My only memories of Holmes are from the NFL films season highlights my dad used to project onto the basement wall before he showed them to the school assembly at the start of each year.  Needless to say, the image of the arrow-hawked Holmes made quite an impression on me at the age of 7.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2008 at 20:37 »

I only remember Fats Holmes from those same highlight clips previously mentioned. He was on some of the greatest Steeler teams ever and I'll always remember that badass "Steel Curtain" banner at 3RS paying tribute to the front four.

Thoughts and prayers.

PS Many thanks to the thread-starters for not tricking me into thinking Santonio had croaked today.  

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
dcity21

« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2008 at 03:10 »

What is it with athletes dying behind the wheel?  

Didn't a couple others die this way in the past 2 or 3 years?  I'm drawing a total blank right now, but I coulda sworn one of 'em was a Steeler too.

Shame.
considering the how many people die in car accidents I would bet the amount of athletes that die in car accidents isn't far off from the national average..

If anything it may be less just because most these guys have huge vehicles offering a bit more protection..

In any case, it is terribly sad news and I'm so young i really don't even have really any memories of him.. Still sad that part of those amazing teams is no longer with us..

I i almost had a heart attack at ESPN when i saw it.. Cuz it said Steelers DL Holmes dead in car accidents..

and in a panic i turned Holmes into Hampton and then Hampton into WR Holmes and man was I flustered..

Hopefully he got most all of what he wanted out of life before his time..  

"i don't know Nutting about baseball.. but i know about Nutting over making some cash.." Ownership ROCKS!!!
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2008 at 14:14 »

PS Many thanks to the thread-starters for not tricking me into thinking Santonio had croaked today.
ha, as soon as i heard this news, my first thought was someone would do that.

sad news, though like a lot of other posters, i wasnt alive when he played.  its always sad when a member of The Curtain passes, however.

R.I.P.

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2008 at 16:43 »

ha, as soon as i heard this news, my first thought was someone would do that.

sad news, though like a lot of other posters, i wasnt alive when he played.  its always sad when a member of The Curtain passes, however.

R.I.P.
Well, never crossed my mind to mess with the legacy of the Steel Curtain for a chuckle.

I was a young dude in the 70s... would have been 10 years old for IX.  So obviously, even growing up closer to Philly, there was no way there was any cooler team than the Steelers.  At the time I remember thinking Mean Joe Greene was the Man, but obviously every guy on those 70s SB teams was a living giant.  Cool to read the stories about them, Holmes half crazed, firing at helicopters.  Bringin' it on the field.  Those Noll teams were just an amazing bunch, and Holmes was a huge part of it.  

We're talking about Tomlin's team, and rebuilding the lines.  Fats was a tough bastard who scared the shit outta people.  Have to love that.  We could use him, or someone like him, now.

RIP, brother.  Have an IC with Webby.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
sage
Kickin the Bengals Ass since 1933
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #16 on: Jan 20, 2008 at 08:53 »

I remember hearing a story about how Ernie challenged Andre the Giant to a fight once.  I think Ernie was training to be a wrestler and wanted to fight Andre just because he was huge.

Another loss for the Steelers.  RIP, Ernie.
he was in wrestlemania 2, 3 one of those. Battle roayal with wrestlers and football players. the fridge was in it as well. Just remember Holmes getting tossed early.

RIP Ernie

Go Steelers
Ytownsteelfan

« Reply #17 on: Jan 20, 2008 at 12:08 »

Yeah most definitely RIP Ernie...

I was born in 1970 and lived in Washington PA until I was in the second grade.  By that time, the Steelers were a part of me.  I remember a picture of him sitting on the sideline with that arrow haircut, steam just pouring off his head.  For as much credit as Mean Joe Greene and LC Greenwood got for the front 4, Dwight White and Ernie Holmes more than held their own.

as a comparison

Mean Joe Greene played from 1969 to 1981, played in 181 games, recorded 78.5 sacks.

LC Greenwood played from 1969 to 1981, played in 170 games and recorded 73.5 sacks.

Dwight White played from 1971 to 1980, played in 126 games and recorded 56 sacks.

Ernie Holmes played from 1971 to 1977 with the Steelers, 1978 with the Patriots.  Played in 84 games and recorded 39.5 sacks.

Ernie Holmes had a shorter career, but if we were to only double his numbers, he would of played in 168 games, and 79 sacks.  So even thought he had the shorter career, he was just as dominant as Mean Joe or LC Greenwood.

RIP Ernie

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Jan 22, 2008 at 15:26 »

What is it with athletes dying behind the wheel?  

Didn't a couple others die this way in the past 2 or 3 years?  I'm drawing a total blank right now, but I coulda sworn one of 'em was a Steeler too.

Shame.

NFLers must be really bad drivers.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: