Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 24, 2014 at 11:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The turf issue  (Read 979 times)
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« on: Jan 23, 2008 at 14:20 »

Read the article in the PG about whether or not the Steelers will stick with grass or move to field turf next year.  I know we've talked about this a ton, but it sounds as if they're leaning towards field turf.

On the plus side, it seems like the closest thing you can get to grass w/o grass.

On the down side (for me), is some of our reasoning for doing it.  I really don't give a crap what the rest of the league thinks or what the MNF watchers think.  Who gives a crap if they don't like the field conditions?  

Discuss.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
steelers4lyfe333

« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2008 at 14:45 »

Id be really suprised to see field turf to be put in just for the fact of the players opinion... They are the ones playing on it.. their opinion means the most.. not what any announcer on MNF says..

Troy is very against turf.. plus his knee issues.. Ben has said he doesnt like turf.. Santonio stated his anti turf opinion along with all the O-lineman..Also after Willies injury on turf he prob dislikes how injury prone you are on it

Id hate to see it put in..I just think wed lose our "tough" image if we gave in to what announcers and Jags RB's say..  
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2008 at 15:07 »

Id hate to see it put in..I just think wed lose our "tough" image if we gave in to what announcers and Jags RB's say..

I get sick of this attitude that football is somehow supposed to be played in "pristine" conditions.  I don't have any particular problem with field turf.  But what's up with the bitching and moaning about mud?  

The only way that I want to see it put in is if we think it gives us some sort of competitive advantage.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2008 at 15:38 »

On one hand, I think it would benefit the more pass-reliant offense.  But I don't much like the increased odds of injury.  

Maybe the solution is to find alternate sites for HS games?  Would the field be as torn up if it were just Pitt and the Stillers?

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2008 at 15:50 »

I get sick of this attitude that football is somehow supposed to be played in "pristine" conditions.

I don't think it needs to be pristine, but when your field conditions drop a division leading team down to the level of the mighty fucking road Dolphins, then there's a problem.

They'll stick with what they have and we can watch Willie & Wad fall on their asses next season as well.

Or maybe they'll spring for an brand new leak-free tarp.

If it's so dangerous, I sure would have liked to see some of the Patriots go on the IR because of it. Oh yeah...I forgot...they're gods.
KeystoneKC
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2008 at 16:07 »

Maybe the solution is to find alternate sites for HS games?
I doubt that would happen mate.  Touting the WPIAL & state HS tourney helped persuade the locals to pony up the tax dollars which helped fund construction.  Kicking them out would cost a lot of politicos their jobs.

Cleveland:  The only NFL city to never play in, or host, a Superbowl.  That bears repeating.
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2008 at 16:35 »

Maybe the solution is to find alternate sites for HS games?
I doubt that would happen mate.  Touting the WPIAL & state HS tourney helped persuade the locals to pony up the tax dollars which helped fund construction.  Kicking them out would cost a lot of politicos their jobs.
In that case, i really think they need to try and schedule the HS games during either a Steelers bye week or when the Steelers are on the road.  That bullshit in the Miami game just about made us the laughingstock of the league and all because they simply didn't have enough time between games to get the field in playing condition.

How many HS games get played at Heinz anyway?  Seems to me like it should just be reserved for championship games, etc...

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2008 at 16:45 »

How many HS games get played at Heinz anyway?  Seems to me like it should just be reserved for championship games, etc...
It is only the championship round, problem is there are 4 divisions in the WPIAL and they all play on the same day.  Sometimes (I think this was the case this year, not sure though) Pitt plays on a Thursday night, 4 High School games on Saturday and the Steelers on Sunday.  

They should consider splitting the championship games to 2 Friday night, 2 Saturday.  At least give some time for maintenance.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2008 at 17:28 »

How are the field conditions anyone else's fault but the people hired and paid handsomely to maintain the damn thing? If these guys needed anything guarantee it would be made available to them. I blame them. Sure there has been shitty weather but my neighbor that gives a fuck keeps his grass green.  

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2008 at 20:51 »

Sure there has been shitty weather but my neighbor that gives a fuck keeps his grass green.

:explodinglaugh:  :explodinglaugh:  :explodinglaugh:  :explodinglaugh:  :explodinglaugh:

Pardon me, Y2J, for finding that comment to be hilarious!  Classic Pittsburgh!

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: