Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 23, 2014 at 19:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ben wants Randy Moss??  (Read 1549 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Jan 25, 2008 at 09:31 »

Well, no, not really.  He didn't say that.

He did kinda take a jab at the Steelers WRs though.  As mature as he might be for his age on the field, he still needs to learn when to STFU off of it.  Even if he feels that way, you don't say that kind of stuff publicly.

I mean, when you win a SB with smurf WRs; have a career year with smurf WRs; set team records with smurf QBs; and go to the Pro Bowl with smurf WRs, why the fuck bring it up to the press?

I gotta think that somewhere Heath Miller is scratching his head wondering how much taller he has to get to become a red zone target.

Hey Ben, instead of asking for a tall WR, maybe you should be asking for an OC that knows how to fucking use the weapons he's got?
« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2008 at 09:35 by aj_law » Logged

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2008 at 09:35 »

Ward needs to sack up and stop the goddamned sniffling, too.  Laugh it off, like you laugh off LBs when they stick you with the big tackle.

Agree that Miller needs used MUCH more, and that Ben can be a bit off the cuff.  But really, is it that big a deal, what he said?  

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2008 at 09:57 »

Non issue. Hines needs to chill. Ben wasn't slamming the current group, just wants to add to it.
« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2008 at 09:57 by vinman3 » Logged

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2008 at 10:03 »

But really, is it that big a deal, what he said?
Huge, no.  But, I think it's definitely an issue.

Anytime a teammate says the kind of stuff that Ben said, it implies that he's doing what he does with lesser talent.  

The Steeler WR core isn't the best in the league, but they're better than most.  Could they use a big, fast, downfield/redzone WR threat?  Uh, sure.  Which team wouldn't take that?

The best approach in this sitch is to just keep your hole shut.  There is zero benefit to airing this publicly.  None.  If he's going to ask for something, at least he should ask for something that he really needs...like a center that can do more than just be a doormat.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2008 at 10:58 »

I really don't have a problem with Ben's comments.  It was probably a question someone asked him and he answered.  It's not like he called a press conference to announce the Steelers WR's are too short.

Is Reggie Wayne really only listed as 6 foot?  Seems like he has about half a foot on Ward.

Ward has a point about his RZ production, and quite frankly between him and Heat (and Spaeth), our RZ targets do just fine.  A tall WR is a luxury, but not a necessity and that is all Ben was saying, that it would be nice to have a guy you can just throw a jump ball up to.  Hell maybe Arians told him to say it, as we all know how much that guy loves the fade route.

Quit your bitchin', Hines.
« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2008 at 11:01 by give'emthaboot » Logged

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2008 at 13:06 »

First of all, Brady whined like a mule when the Pats let Branch walk.  Second, Peyton Place would have had a stroke if they had not signed Harrison to a long-term deal.

I really don't think Ben is being critical.  He's just lobbying for more people to make plays, which is what every QB in the league with his "pedigree" does.  Still, you'd think that he would know by now how these things can get twisted into more than they really are.  

As for Hines, can you be a little more sensitive?  Maybe he's still on pain medication.  And I'm sure the reporters fell all over each other taking the quote to him, the minute Ben said it.

IMO, they need to sit down to talk it out w/each other.  After that, they both need to STFU.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2008 at 13:18 »

I agree with AJ, this is an issue, not a huge one, but Ben needs to know that he can't say stuff like that.

I also agree with Hines. I'm tired of people wanting a huge WR, look at all the best receivers in the league. How many of them are 6'4 or taller? Moss and Plax? That's really about it. I don't buy into the tall WR thing.

They were talking about this briefly on the Herd this morning. John Clayton said Ben finished 3rd in the voting for team MVP, which is voted on by the players. They speculated that maybe some guys on the team don't like him or something. Thoughts?

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2008 at 14:11 »

The more I think about these comments by Ben, the more upset I get about them, so I'm going to flip-flop a tad.  I know Ben qualified his comments by saying he had "unbelievable" receivers before opining for the days of Plaxico.  The thing that pisses me off about these comments is he stands behind his piece of shit offensive and is even taking them with him to Hawaii.  He had a Pro Bowl year because of playmakers like Ward, Holmes and Miller.  He had a Pro Bowl year in spite of the offensive line.

All that being said, I still think Ward comes off as a baby with his comments as he just sounds like a whiner.  These guys need to hash this out amongst themselves, and Ben needs to stop talking about stand up and be a leader for this whole team the way he stands up for his O-line, who don't deserve as much as a high five for their collective 2007 performance.

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2008 at 14:51 »

*Yawn*

When does the off-season begin?

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2008 at 17:49 »

How is what Ben said an issue?

Did anyone criticizing him read the entire article? I seriously have my doubts.

First off Roethlisberger was asked about his contract and what would be his ideal situation for the offseason. He answered that he'd simply like to get a fair deal done but also that he'd like to have the team retain All-Pro LG Alan Faneca as he's said what an honor it has been playing with him. Only after all of that did he make the comment about wanting a "tall WR" (as opposed to "I need taller receivers stat!") but not before qualifying that remark with his thought that "our receivers are unbelievable". I don't see how anyone could be offended by that.

It is a logical conclusion, anyway. The Steelers need better WRs (which is why I was advocating taking Ginn if he was there in round one last year at this time and would again go after a good size-speed combo like DeSean Jackson were he available) and if anyone doesnt realize that then they are the ones with the problem. I am not ignoring Ben's tremendously productive season or the fact that we do have a solid starting WR duo. However this isn't 2001 anymore and we don't have the biggest baddest smash mouth RB, a runner QB and a three-Pro Bowler-line. Teams need to have more than 2-3 WRs who can play. Especially in the spread out passing situations. I love Hines (on the field) and Santonio as much as the next supporter but we need more than them and certainly someone bigger and better than Cedric "The order of restraint-er" and Tiffin Nate. This is where someone big who could get down the field makes perfect sense.

Where was our passing game last year when we played teams like Jacksonville and Baltimore? It was probably clear to most people that we desperately needed someone to stretch the field. Chuck it deep to your big play guy, you know? This year that seemed to be Najeh Davenport a couple of times. That really, really depresses me.

Hines does play his ass off but he's the one that needs to know when to STFU or whatever. He's always been borderline dirty with these crackbacks and shoving. Now he never stops bitching at people (the NE and Jax[2nd] games I was especially disgraced by his act) during the games. The story I was talking about he was barely freakin' mentioned in. It wasn't in the lede. Wasn't really a key point at all. Earlier this week the author of said story, during a long interview with Ward, brought up Ben's comment to see Hines' reaction. He is said to have kind of dismissed it as "Ben is Ben" et al and then just went on and on about it. Bouchette said "the guy was going off" when he was interviewed on 1250 about it this afternoon.

Hines can say whatever he wants. That is his right as an American. And boy has he taken full advantage of that liberty by giving us his thoughts on every little thing in the world. He whined in camp about the physical nature of the practices this year. Hines never came out in any stories I read and fully endorsed the Tomlin hire. Hines acted entirely unprofessional during his little mini-camp hissyfit where he went on strike from being captain and wouldnt lead team calisthenics and such in "support" of Alan Faneca. Anytime he's asked he'll go on and on about how unappreciated he is and how nobody gave him a shot to succeed in life (despite being a third rounder and being voted Super Bowl MVP by the media). He's made noise after each of the Steelers 1st round WRs have been drafted (Edwards, Plax, Holmes). Hell, there's a big joke among the local media guys about "Hines on Hines" highlighted by his rant that apparently ran 14-minutes long about himself when he passed a Stallworth team record this season. The shit he said today by playing the "I don't see Tom Brady or Peyton Manning sayin' that" is ludicrous and lowbrow at worst and just wholly inaccurate at best. Brady, still holding a grudge over the Deion Branch trade,  supposedly went to management and demanded some help (and got it in the form of a "tall WR" who set NFL records...again). Manning pulled for WR help (and got it in the first round last year) despite already being blessed with Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, and Dallas Clark. Favre also campaigned publicly for a Moss trade.

And Roethlisberger can't get away with making a comment about lack of WR height being his one moment of criticism just after a season when he worked his ass off coming from near-death, a very poor effort the year before, and a billion fuckin question marks to absolutely destroy most of the Steelers passing records? He's always had everyone's back. If Ben has played bad he'll step up and take the blame. If somebody else plays poorly Ben takes the blame. If the coaches screw him over Ben will say nothing of it. Hell when that dumbass broad t-boned him with the New Yorker Ben probably told the paramedics "It was my mistake. I think I just made a bad read and I take full responsibility and will have to improve on that to help this team. I give full credit to the offensive line."  He's the undisputed best guy we've got and I have a hard time understanding why his own teammates can't recognize him as the leader. He's hauling all those sorry ass lineman with him to Hawaii after they got him sacked like crazy. If I played on a team with a guy like that I'd be fine with him getting whatever the hell he wanted.

Hines? Not so much. He has to be a hypersensitive crybaby who gives us his opinion on everything. When Ward was on his pulpit preaching about the teams unfair business principles in releasing Joey Porter I don't remember Silverback running to the media to declare how hurt he was and that "I don't see Mike Furrey or Houshmandzadeh (or some other accomplished possession WR) making those types of comments". He can't be so sensitive if he really wants to be a captain or, as he'll tell you, "the leader of the wideouts".

Or for me to take his "selfless, underappreciated hard-worker" act seriously anymore. Perhaps Ben would've been better off not discussing his wishes at all but at least I can respect him being forthright in answering a quesiton. HE DID NOT TRASH HIS TEAMMATES. I know Plex was Ben's best friend and maybe that's what he meant about "a tall WR". I sure agree having Plaxico back would be nice and I think anyone would trade Hines for Burress these days. I still love Ward as a player but he's got to realize that better players at his position equals better competition which assumes better production which equals more ultimate team success. Whether or not that makes Ben the super-duper-star (and finally gets him a team MVP fercrissakes) and diminishes his own production Hines absolutely has to get on board with that.
« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2008 at 19:32 by Y2Joyce » Logged

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: