Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 18, 2014 at 17:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cloverfield  (Read 3542 times)
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2008 at 09:54 »

VJ would love Ratatouille.  I usually fall asleep during movies at home, mostly because they are accompanied by martinis.  I made it 45 mins to an hour into this one before I nodded off, so I have to say it was decent.

Vin - time for Netflix for you and Mrs. Vin.  That is the only way we make time to see them, and I hate spending $50 to go to the cattle ranch theatres.
We do watch movies on the tube, so that is ok. Finding time to watch them sometimes is tricky, but HBO+DVR helps. Can't wait to get my Big Screen TV, that will bring the theater experience home...But I have to get our home renovation project complete now before I get the beasty TV.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2008 at 10:02 »

Sorry Finney, for the threadjack.

Movies at home are just as good when you have the entertainment system.  When the THX sound byte comes on at the beginnign of a movie, my kids cover their ears.

That's what daddy's talkin about!!!!!!!  The best part of every movie.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2008 at 10:02 »

But I'da bet a whole closet of Pensoidal puffy shirts that you'da bet that I'da hated Cloverfield, so there.
And I'd raise you a a VW bug stuffed fulla blue brassieres that you went to the flick knowing it would suck; but you wanted to be able to come here and tell everyone that it sucked, fully expecting that I'da bet you that you shoulda known that it would suck in the first place.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2008 at 10:03 »

Ratatouille?  

The only thing I get to watch these days is Hannah Montana.  I don't even know what Rate-a-taily is about.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2008 at 10:05 »

When the THX sound byte comes on at the beginnign of a movie, my kids cover their ears.

When the "THX guy" comes on at my place, the kids scream, "THX guy!  Turn it up, daddy!!"

:proud:

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2008 at 11:01 »

But I'da bet a whole closet of Pensoidal puffy shirts that you'da bet that I'da hated Cloverfield, so there.
And I'd raise you a a VW bug stuffed fulla blue brassieres that you went to the flick knowing it would suck; but you wanted to be able to come here and tell everyone that it sucked, fully expecting that I'da bet you that you shoulda known that it would suck in the first place.
And that's where you lose a boatload of softball trophies.

Seriously, I was hoping for the best.  People love or hate this movie, and if it had any scary elements, I'da forgiven some of the faults.  Went to see Blair Witch, and thought that had some decent elements, some stuff to scare you a bit.  A flawed movie, which makes the post-flick convo interesting: what could they have done better.  Unfortunately, the Blair technique was basically wasted here.  The whole post-flick convo was: what DIDN'T suck?

I have different viewing criteria for different films.  You can't judge a Tarentino movie the same way you judge, say, a Will Ferrell movie.  I get that.  But within what you're trying to do, don't suck.  

Would like to hear from anyone here who LIKED Cloverfield, though.  Since apparently it does have a fairly rabid fan base.  I'd ask them, like, seriously, didn't you want Hud to die much, much, much sooner?

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Jan 28, 2008 at 11:37 »

Ratatouille?  

The only thing I get to watch these days is Hannah Montana.  I don't even know what Rate-a-taily is about.
Disney animated flick about a mouse that aspires to be a chef.  I think it was out at the movies earlier this year.  As mentioned, one of the better Disney movies in a while.

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Jan 28, 2008 at 11:40 »

QUOTE (Big Virgil @ Jan 28 2008, 11:02 AM)
When the THX sound byte comes on at the beginnign of a movie, my kids cover their ears.

When the "THX guy" comes on at my place, the kids scream, "THX guy! Turn it up, daddy!!"

:proud:

I have sissy girls!!!!!!!

:meagainsttheworld:
« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2008 at 11:45 by Big Virgil » Logged

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Jan 28, 2008 at 16:50 »

Thanks for your response, Finny.  These issues of adaptation are important to me since I'm actually teaching a lit./film course this term.  

Any discussion of plot takes you to McCarthy: Chigurh is, like Judge Holden in Blood Meridian, less a human "bad guy" than a force of nature.
« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2008 at 16:53 by pensodyssey » Logged

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Jan 28, 2008 at 17:30 »

Did you like O Brother?  I thought that was mostly fun, a bit draggy in spots.  

Understand completely what you're saying about humanizing Chigurh, but Mac does a similar job with Judge Holden, and you may have a point that that's better suited to the page than the screen.  Maybe Harrelson's character did mean more to the book, too.  Now that you mention it, he served little purpose, other than the possibility of a guy who could rein in Chigurh, but mere mortal meeting force of nature, we know how that ends.

The Coens did a good job of bringing the Mac worldview to the bigs, but IMO it may just about be impossible.  They nailed the visual, and as you say, the sound of words.  Thought the acting was pretty damned good.  Maybe we are starved for modern classics, with only some minor flickers of independence bubbling up amidst the dreck.  The great indie movement heralded by Pulp Fiction never amounted to more than a minor babble (Babel?), and maybe the best new filmmakers are all foreign.  I dunno.  My movie viewing's not been as wide of late.

So, what are the best films of the past 10 years?  1998-present?  If we believe Oscar, it's one of the current noms plus (in retro order):  The Departed, Crash, Million Dollar Baby, LOTR-Return of the King, Chicago, A Beautiful Mind, Gladiator, American Beauty, and Shakespeare in Love.  Yeah.  Well.  Enjoyed all those, except Chicago (never saw) and American Beauty (wasn't impressed or entertained).  Gladiator?  You bet he was... but best pic?  Part of the canon?  Pfffah...  A group of nice and good movies, none great IMO.  

So there's a good point, the hunger for something substantial overtakes good critical assessment.  But the question remains...

What were the 10 best from 1998 til now?

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: