Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 19, 2014 at 22:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cloverfield  (Read 3125 times)
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Jan 28, 2008 at 20:27 »

I was ho-hum about O Brother, but mostly that was due to Clooney's mugging performance.  The Homeric allusions were heavy handed, I thought.

The best on-line reference I could find for movies only goes back to 2001, and seems to include only US releases.  So I'll give my American-released top 10 of the 21st century, so to speak.  These are my favorite films, the ones I enjoyed most.  Note that there might be foreign films that found their way to US releases.  

10.  The Good Thief.  Maybe not that great in absolute terms, but a remake they at least didn't completely fuck up.  The original is J-P Melville's flawless Bob le Flambeur.

9.  24 Hour Party People.  Not likely to make many other top 10 lists, admittedly, but I'm a big fan of Joy Division, Shaun Ryder, and even Steve Coogan.  

8.  End of the Century.  Comprehensive and definitive Ramones documentary.  Enough said.

By the way, I include documentaries here.  Don't see why not.

7.  Twilight Samurai.  Compelling story of an aging samurai forced to into an immoral action.  Beautifully shot.

6.  Audition.  First of 2 Takashi Miike films on my list.  For my money, he's done the most interesting work of anyone I've consistently paid attention to over the last 10 years.  This movie completely shocked the hell out of me when I saw it the first time.

5.  Kill Bill Vol. 2.  I loved both installments; I chose vol. 2 because of the totally awesome Pei Mai.

4.  Bukowski: Born into This.  I don't really know what to say except it's Bukowski.

3.  Napoleon Dynamite.  Tina, come get your ham!

2.  Happiness of the Katakuris.  Miike, again.  A serial killer/sitcom/musical that makes perfect sense-- again, right up to the closing sequence.  My main complaint about Miike is he doesn't know how to end his movies.

1.  In the Realms of the Unreal.  Once you get past the inital cutesy style of the director, this is a totally engrossing examination of Henry Darger.  Amazing story; heartbreaking.

Honorable Mention:  Sexy Beast; Spirited Away; School of Rock; Who the #%&% is Jackson Pollack?; and the inimitable Hey is Dee Dee Home?.
« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2008 at 20:29 by pensodyssey » Logged

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Jan 28, 2008 at 21:38 »

The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything

Hot Damn.  Well I'll be! We gots one of them right here in the 'burgh.

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
CityofChamps1979
N00b

« Reply #22 on: Jan 28, 2008 at 21:47 »

Not that my word means anything, but There Will Be Blood was a great film this year, a real tour-de-force that I think fans of No Country, or at least appreciators of that film, will find a lot to chew on in.They share a similar fatalism - I mean, the whole point in No Country is that "you can't stop what's coming", and the title of TWBB says it all, right there.  I think they both capture the zeitgeist of our current disillusionment, as a country, with things internal and abroad.

Michael Clayton was pretty satisfying, for fans of '70s movies like All the President's Men or The Parallax View.

Saw Cloverfield, and you're right that it is just a stupid monster movie, typical dumb characters, gimmicky delivery and cheesy monster effects - you can debate how much of that is on purpose - but what really got me, at first, was the fear, which was palpable and charged in a way most horror films can't approach, solely due to the exploitation of 9-11 imagery.  Too soon?  I dunno.  Maybe if the rest of the movie hadn't sucked I would've cared.
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #23 on: Jan 29, 2008 at 06:38 »

The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything

Hot Damn.  Well I'll be! We gots one of them right here in the 'burgh.
Bravo Y2J. Bravo.

:applause:  :applause:  :applause:  :applause:  :applause:  

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #24 on: Jan 29, 2008 at 07:33 »

Interesting list, Pens.  Have to admit I haven't seen most of those, but that's to be expected.  I was mulling over my own list last night and was thinking about the Kill Bills, which I think have to be considered together, since the studio split them, not QT.  Nappy Dynamite didn't even cross my mind, but maybe it should, for sheer watchability: any flick I can watch as often as that without tiring of it deserves some consideration.  The Ramones docu is a great idea too.

Man, have to check out the Bukowski thang.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #25 on: Jan 29, 2008 at 07:55 »

Can't say I have even heard of any of these movies.  

:mainstream:

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
P4P
Hillbilly Deluxe
Old School Member

« Reply #26 on: Jan 30, 2008 at 16:38 »

I just got the new National Treasure movie and The Bucket List on bootleg.  Worth my time?  Anybody?

Honesty is something you can't wear out.
Waylon Jennings
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #27 on: Jan 31, 2008 at 08:04 »

Haven't seen either.  The family saw Nat'l treasure over X-mas and everyone liked it.  Don't get me wrong, we don't have deep philosophical conversations about the mood, music or directing.

The BV movie rating systems is less complex than Siskel and Ebert( I know one of them has been dead for 10-15 years).  The BV scale is either + or -.  + = entertaining and - = not entertaining.  Piecing together events in a movie is OK, but if I have to think any more than that, then it is -.  If I have to figure out the meaning or interpret anything it gets a --.

I watched Wayn's World on one of the HD channels the other night.  BV rating = +.  Saw a little bit of A few Good Men last night.  Rating = +  I can't think of any - rated movies I have seen recently, becasue I don't generally watch them.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #28 on: Jan 31, 2008 at 14:56 »

I just got the new National Treasure movie and The Bucket List on bootleg.  Worth my time?  Anybody?

Nah.

I suggest something from this library instead.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #29 on: Feb 09, 2008 at 20:04 »

The Mrs. wanted to see Juno, which was actually pretty entertaining. I didn't expect much, so it was a pleasant surprise.

Saw the movie tonight.  Had the same feel as "Napoleon Dynamite," so that it's billed as an indie film but really is a tweener.  Though more as a Lamar Woodley than Alonzo Jackson.

Enjoyed it.  

Saw "Atonement" the other week and thought it was okay.  

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: