Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 22, 2014 at 04:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zabransky and Trannon  (Read 1608 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Feb 06, 2008 at 15:18 »

Steelers | Trannon signed to future contract
Wed, 6 Feb 2008 12:06:19 -0800

The Pittsburgh Steelers signed WR Matt Trannon (Raiders) to a future contract Wednesday, Feb. 6. Trannon spent 2007 on the Arizona Cardinals, Kansas City Chiefs and Oakland Raiders practice squads.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steelers | Zabransky signed to future contract
Wed, 6 Feb 2008 12:03:50 -0800

The Pittsburgh Steelers signed QB Jared Zabransky (Texans) to a future contract Wednesday, Feb. 6. Zabransky finished the 2007 season on the Houston Texans practice squad.

Had heard we were looking to sign Zabransky; news to me about Trannon.  As I recall, aj was interested in ol' Tranny; a 6'6" Mich. St. prospect in last year's draft, he's got 4.57 speed, a 36.5 vertical, with decent shuttle and cone numbers for a tall guy.  Sort of coming into form as a receiver, since he was mostly a BBer at MSU.  NFLDS compares him to Plax.  Looks like that's the bone the FO is throwing Ben.

BTW, Wikipedia has really been on these signings.  I mean, to the minute.

Looks like he's added some weight, and has been through the Cards camp and the hell of Oakland.  Worth bringing in, for sure.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2008 at 15:23 »

Trannon had one other stop I negected to mention: the Chiefs.

I'd have to say he's a helluva long shot at this point, but he is our tallest WR.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2008 at 15:29 »

Of course, a journalist would say:

Steelers sign QB Zabransky, WR Trannon
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, February 6, 2008

The Steelers have officially signed quarterback Jared Zabransky and wide receiver Matt Trannon to their offseason roster.
Zabransky, who led Boise State to a stirring victory over Oklahoma in the 2007 Fiesta Bowl, spent part of last season on the Texans' practice squad.

The 6-6, 235-pound Trannon, who was a two-sport standout at Michigan State University, spent time on several practice squads last season.

Wow, nice specificity.  Any teams in particular Scott?  Just too fucking lazy to Google them up and type their names?  Other great news tidbits from the Trib's own Scotty Brown:

Obama wins several states...

Some people die in deadly hurricane...

John McCain says something or other about his Republican rivals, uh, the Frankenstein-y looking guy, and that Howdy Doody-looking one... I forget their names...

Some famous actor who died last week apparently overdosed on something...

Don't strain yourself, Scott.  

PittsburghPA
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2008 at 18:06 »

SWEAT WE JUST SINGED JARRETT ZAMBONI AND MATT TRANNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Q: What's the difference between "hard" and "light"?
A: You can sleep with a light on.
shills
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2008 at 19:54 »

Steelers | Trannon signed to future contract
Wed, 6 Feb 2008 12:06:19 -0800

The Pittsburgh Steelers signed WR Matt Trannon (Raiders) to a future contract Wednesday, Feb. 6. Trannon spent 2007 on the Arizona Cardinals, Kansas City Chiefs and Oakland Raiders practice squads.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steelers | Zabransky signed to future contract
Wed, 6 Feb 2008 12:03:50 -0800

The Pittsburgh Steelers signed QB Jared Zabransky (Texans) to a future contract Wednesday, Feb. 6. Zabransky finished the 2007 season on the Houston Texans practice squad.

Had heard we were looking to sign Zabransky; news to me about Trannon.  As I recall, aj was interested in ol' Tranny; a 6'6" Mich. St. prospect in last year's draft, he's got 4.57 speed, a 36.5 vertical, with decent shuttle and cone numbers for a tall guy.  Sort of coming into form as a receiver, since he was mostly a BBer at MSU.  NFLDS compares him to Plax.  Looks like that's the bone the FO is throwing Ben.

BTW, Wikipedia has really been on these signings.  I mean, to the minute.

Looks like he's added some weight, and has been through the Cards camp and the hell of Oakland.  Worth bringing in, for sure.

I recall last year at draft time, I said I hoped the Steelers would take Matt Trannon
late (they took Dallas Baker instead).  I love this move.  6'6"....Ben wants a tall
receiver, why not?  A gamble to be sure, but it's not really at any cost and I've
always felt he's got talent and can stretch the field.  At worst, he'd be great in
the red zone and someone Ben could toss one to on a first down chance.

Zabransky intrigues me.  Guy is such a competitor and in my opinion is already an
upgrade over 3rd QB Brian St.Pierre and lets face it, Charlie Batch can't be a solid
backup forever.....but the way he's taking Terrelle around, he's got a future as an agent!
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2008 at 06:52 »

The down side is, after any measurable playing time, opposing trolls will be able to call the kid "Tranny." I don't like that one bit.

Could he petition the court for a name change?

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2008 at 07:16 »

The down side is, after any measurable playing time, opposing trolls will be able to call the kid "Tranny." I don't like that one bit.

Could he petition the court for a name change?
Maybe Joel Rifkin?

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2008 at 08:20 »

McLovin.

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2008 at 08:33 »

McLovin.
Phuk?

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
Winters in Holland
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2008 at 10:01 »

I like both of these signings a lot.  Low risk, high upside.

The best part is that this means Brian St. Pierre is officially GONE.  I don't want to add "forever" because I'm sure that as soon as Batch retires, St. Pierre will find is way back in.

But at least he's gone for now.  What a waste of roster space.

.WiH.

I don't care if Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy are black. Good for them. But that doesn't change the way I feel about them. The longer we keep looking at guys like Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith as "BLACK HEAD COACHES" as opposed to just "coaches" the longer race will continue to be a problem. --DoctorJohnnyFever
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: