Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 01, 2014 at 21:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steelers Cap: Less $ Than You Thought...  (Read 1003 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Feb 07, 2008 at 07:24 »

Our resident capologist at BSG now puts the number at $13.99M and falling, once LTBE incentives are added in.

I'm going to be looking over the cap in advance of the Indy combine and hope to get some articles on the draft going.  Of course, I say that every year.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2008 at 07:26 »

Oh, and by the way, Ben gets a $3M roster bonus in March?

Over/under on a new deal for Ben going down in the next, ohhh, 22 days...?

That could actually free up some substantial money this year.

Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2008 at 08:48 »

Our resident capologist at BSG now puts the number at $13.99M and falling, once LTBE incentives are added in.

Well, that blows!  I think this cap stuff is more confusing for the fans than anyone.

I also fully expect a new report to come out soon:  "Patriots actually have 42 million in cap space!"

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2008 at 09:16 »

Wilson, Tuman and Magan are so cut.

Keisel, M. Smith and arguably Ward have to restructure.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2008 at 09:29 »

Wilson, Tuman and Magan are so cut.

Keisel, M. Smith and arguably Ward have to restructure.
Not sure if Tomlin and Colbert will have the stones to cut Mahan, despite his dreadful play.  They may just shift him to OG or backup there.  Tuman looks like a good bet, and Wilson may be as well, if they can target some cheap FA WR depth.

I think it's safe to say Hines will restructure, and Keisel too.  Aaron Smith may too, but Marvel, no.  Marvel has a year left, he plays out, and I think he walks.

The Ben extension may save some '08 money, especially by dodging the roster bonus.  Might extend a guy like Farrior, too, short-term.  

A lot going on with the cap this year, I really have to look at it when I have more time.

Winters in Holland
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2008 at 09:57 »

This doesn't surprise me.

After reading that article last week where the author got on the Steelers for not targeting guys like Moss and Pacman Jones this offseason (even though it's barely begun), his angle was the character issue.

I think over the past few seasons, its been more of a money issue than anything.  In fact, in the last few drafts, the Steelers have gone with a few questionable character guys because the talent was there.

I agree with him that the Steelers unfortunately won't make plays for some of these volatile talents, but I'd contend it's much more of a money issue than one of philosophy.

.WiH.

I don't care if Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy are black. Good for them. But that doesn't change the way I feel about them. The longer we keep looking at guys like Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith as "BLACK HEAD COACHES" as opposed to just "coaches" the longer race will continue to be a problem. --DoctorJohnnyFever
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2008 at 08:07 »

I know the O-line depth is an issue, but I'd just say cut Marvel Smith and be done with it.  He isn't worth his cap hit.

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2008 at 08:14 »

I know the O-line depth is an issue, but I'd just say cut Marvel Smith and be done with it.  He isn't worth his cap hit.
I don't see how we can do that, frankly.  I know he commands a lot of money, but we're not going to land a top FA LT, it just ain't happening.  That means we need to bolster the position through the draft.  And how do we know the rookie will work out?  We obviously need a solid vet for a year to ensure a smooth transition.

Put another way, every time you cut a player who's a starter (M. Smith) or who has been a depth player who saw significant playing time (Ced Wilson), you have to run a bit of cost/price analysis: can we replace that person's role without a dropoff in performance, and can we accomodate it reasonably under the cap restraints?  Smith, no; Wilson, yes.  

Now, a guy like Sean Mahan brings up some very interesting C/P scenarios...

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2008 at 08:43 »

Just to give an idea of savings (according to BGS):

If we cut Marvel Smith, it's better to do so pre-6/1, when we save a $500K roster bonus.  I would imagine, however, that would come in March, like Ben's, and I don't see that happening.  So let's assume a pre- and post-6/1 savings of $3.95M against a cap hit of $6.6455M.  We save $2,695,500.  Your C/PA question: how do you replace Marvel for $2.7M?  The only answer I can envision is using that money to retain Starks.  And that's a fair gambit: use Starks as the putative starting LT, then move him back to RT when the rookie is ready, assuming another LT is there for depth (Essex, Capizzi, Parquet, another rookie).  

If we cut Wilson, we lose $500K in guaranteed money, but save $2.1M against the cap.  What can you do with $2.1M?  You can most certainly upgrade.  Bryant Johnson is a guy I'd look at, and even $2.1M might get you some action in signing Bernard Berrian.  Ernest Wilford?  Devery Henderson?  WR #4 on the PS roster would seem to be a spot with tons of flexibility.

Mahan could conceivably switch to OG or backup OG, or Tomlin could send a message to underperforming schlubs that you gotta cut the mustard or hit the road.  A $2.2M savings might allow us to bring in a converted OG, or we could draft a kid like Pollak and use the $2.2M elsewhere, maybe toward resigning guys like Kemo.

Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2008 at 14:16 »

Your C/PA question: how do you replace Marvel for $2.7M? The only answer I can envision is using that money to retain Starks.

Hmmmm...had not thought of it that way.  It ain't the worst idea in the world!

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: