Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 23, 2014 at 10:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Obtaining the rights to Pacman  (Read 2260 times)
Joetorious
Brownstains can suck my Member

« on: Feb 13, 2008 at 15:24 »

What say you?

I know, I know...as Finny once said when I've suggested this in the past, "Pacman is not worthy of wiping my ass."

However, he is a tremendous athlete and, when eligible, a truly gifted football player who can serve as a lockdown corner, explosive punt and kick returner, and occassional offensive threat at WR.

Plus, at this point, any team that gets him is going to do so at a very bargain price (in terms of his on-field capabilities).

I fully believe that if surrounded by winners and told "Look motherfucker, we're good with or without you, but we'd love to be good with you," he would fall in line. Plus, I think the fact that Tomlin is a relatively young African American would further enable him to take directives from an authority figure such as him.

I know it's not going to happen, but I can't help but think how much better the Steelers secondary and special teams would be with him (with the understanding that he must be eligible to play).

(Note: my bro no longer lives with/works for him, so I cannot be accused of having a bias...necessarily.)

Tell 'em...Large Marge sent ya! Bwhahahaha
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2008 at 16:01 »

I don't hate the idea.  I wouldn't call him a lockdown corner, though; he's a risk taker, more of a ball hawk, who gives up nearly as many big plays as he makes.  That's his style, and I like it, although we're still relatively young at cb (deshea the exception here) so I'm not sure the money isn't best spent at other positions.  

A shabby Charlie Brown.
sage
Kickin the Bengals Ass since 1933

« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2008 at 16:50 »

simply put..........NO!

Go Steelers
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2008 at 17:02 »

No chance in hell.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2008 at 17:03 »

I just don't think the Steelers would ever sign a guy with so many character issues.  Could be wrong, though.  And while everyone deserves a second chance, he's blown through a few second chances.

But yes, I'd love to have a player of his talent on the team.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2008 at 19:00 »

Goodell will never reinstate him to the point where it'd be worthwhile persuing him. I am not so certain he'll ever allow him to play again. Even if Goodell does allow him to it will undoubtedly be done with a strict no tolerance policy attatched. With Jones being the idiot that he has consistenly shown to be there is no reason to believe he'd acquiesce to the stipulations. Can't have someone you are counting on disappear for circumstances such as those. It's not worth it, you'd be hurting the team's on-field chances by blowing that soon-to-be vacated roster spot, and you'd make yourselves look doltish in the process.

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
KeystoneKC
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2008 at 19:29 »

He's only played two years toward his contract.  With him being drafted 1.6, I'm assuming he signed for 5-6 years.  Unless the Titans cut him, whoever acquires his rights is going to have to abide by the initial contract.  I'm not seeing a "bargain price" even if he does get reinstated.

Cleveland:  The only NFL city to never play in, or host, a Superbowl.  That bears repeating.
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2008 at 00:17 »

Just don't think the Rooneys will do it.
He's terribly talented, and I think, has been a little screwed by Goodell.
I'm not sure the punishment fits the crimes, in his case, especially when compared with, oh let's say...Ray Lewis.

Character issues do not fit into the Rooney game plan.
Which is fine with me.
Heaven forbid we start looking like the Bungles....

I'm still the one with the boobs.
Joetorious

« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2008 at 09:38 »

Interesting responses.

Re: his contract, true, he has only played 2 years of a five-year contract. However, due to allegations against him before he even signed w/ the Titans, the Titans signed him to a relatively low guaranteed contract ($18M approximately) considering he was the sixth overall pick and first defensive player drafted that year. Further, I would think that, given his circumstances, should he ever be allowed to play, his contract would have to be restructered regardless of which team he plays for.

I understand that the Rooneys wouldn't want guys with character issues. But, as you said, LC, his punishment has been a little excessive, which I think has increased NFL execs, media and fans' negative perceptions of him w/o merit.

Like Randy Moss, when surrounded by an organization w/ a winning tradition (the Steelers' tradition being much stronger and richer than the lowly patriots), he could succeed on the field and off it.

Also, I disagree with the big plays. Not only is he all over balls thrown his way, he does so in such a way that even Peyton Manning doesn't throw to his side of the field that often. Some big plays you might be thinking of have, for the most part, resulted in blown coverages by the likes of Wilfork (sp?), a dude named Hill and others (who have openly confessed to screwing up the coverage). Sure, Pacman has been guilty of giving up the big one, but not enough times to have a reputation for it. More often than not, he is either locking down the WR in such a way that even the league's most talented QBs are hesitant to throw his way, or he is straight up taking the ball away.

Anyway, I guess this is all moot until (if) he gets reinstated.  

Tell 'em...Large Marge sent ya! Bwhahahaha
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2008 at 09:53 »

He's terribly talented, and I think, has been a little screwed by Goodell.
I'm not sure the punishment fits the crimes, in his case, especially when compared with, oh let's say...Ray Lewis.

Not to be critical but didn't he and his "posse" leave a strip club bouncer paralyzed after one of their nights out?

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: